Ice report….turned open water report

• ozzyky
    On water

Those of you who ice fish the mississippi have probably been limited to where you can go. I have been to. However one of my spots I have been visting from shore rather than on the ice. The bite has been great….until this week. Crappies largemouth and a bonus pike have come to shore for me. The bass have been thick in this area. Sorry didn’t have any photos of them on camera only on phone. Will try to upload it but no guarantees. Crappies are running from 10-13 inches. Bass are mostly in the 12-13 inch class. Biggest was a 17 inch. All fish have been caught on crappie minnows and fatheads. Gulp has produced as well but smaller fish for some reason. The bite was so good started doing some experimentation. In order to get the nicer crappies it required bigger minnows or more of them. large fatheads and multiple crappie minnows on a treble brought the bigger fish to shore. Having probably caught a few hundred crappies over the last few weeks. Some multiple times judging by there lips. (which shows the benefits of CPR) Out of all those fish caught only kept what was shown in the picture. No to my theory on why the bite has slowed for me. With the warm temps the ice has opened up to about 80 yards from shore. When I was catching the fish the ice was 20-40 yards from shore. Most of the fish were caught on the edge of the ice. Not sure but seems to have been the case. Couldn’t test my theory beacause there is no way to currently get a boat to this spot.

bigpike

holy smokes that looks like fun

Outdraft
    Western Wi.

Nice job, looks like ya had a little work to get there, i’m jealous

jerrj01
    Hudson, WI

Let us know if you need a partner to help haul them in.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.