Frabill Straight line combo?

• matt-p
    White Bear Lake, MN

I dont like the rods cause I have 2 powernoodles and a quiverstick that see all the time but I picked up a reel from Thorne and paired it with a 24inch powernoodle to go along with my 28 inch powernoodle and I have really started to like it. The handle is oversized so it is really really easy to get a feel for. I am able to either hold the rod on top or pistol grip it no problems. I like that it has a clicker for when the drag goes out.. The drag on it has been good so far. I will find out more about that when I acutually catch something other than little perch on it.

But from my first uses of this reel it is a good one that can be paired with a powernoodle or quiverstick from thorne.

For the rod I have a quick tip from when they first came out. It was good to me for about a season. The tip on the rod wasn’t the easiest to see the bites with but I found using a hi-vis line you can just watch the line and that helps. It has held up good. Very durable for a mass produced rod. Its a good set up for what I would call a Thorne immatator that is a little easier on the wallet

Hope this helps..
    Tight lines
    Matt P

stevedobie
    Central, MN

Quote:

that can be paired with a powernoodle or quiverstick from thorne.

Just waiting for my 2 quiversticks from Throne Brothers then I can try it out. Hope they come before my trip next week.

2iceman
    Gem Lake, Minnesota

I have the Combo, picked it up at Joe’s Sporting Goods. I like it a lot. Remember you don’t get that spinning of the lures because of the fly reel, and I do like the drag system on it! I think they might be sold out, not positive though.

Jake_A

I got one at Fleet Farm. I am really impressed with the reel. Drag system works well, doesn’t freeze up or anything, and there is no jig spin at all. Only thing I dislike about it being a combo is the rod. I paired it with a 36″ St. Croix premier ultralight. Awesome setup!

b-j-r
    Pool 4

Thanks for the replies. I ordered one a couple days ago, hopefully I will like it. The site I ordered from (24 ul) says the rod is glass, but on the frabill site it says the 24’s are graphite. Im hoping when it gets here it is graphite. If the rods are of “lesser” quality is the 60.00 mostly for the reel? Seems like everyone is happy with that anyway. Thanks again.

loren_keizer

I have played around with this combo on a few outings. It’s taken some getting used to in having the fly reel on versus the spinning reel. As others have said the drag seems smooth and it has functioned well in the outings I have used it.

I am a fan of the Quick Tip rods, as I haven’t been able to bring myself to buying any of the TB rods yet.

stevedobie
    Central, MN

Just got the call from Throne Bros. Picking up my stuff tomorrow then trying out he new reels.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.