ONE MORE SUIT QUESTION

• fishinfool
    mn

So which is better for the budget minded yet wants to stay warm and does most fishing in Rochester area? Clam outfits or Frabill….keep in mind budget here. I know who makes the top of the line but what works good to the point of more money for more comfort.?? Thanks FF

eyesfishin
    Somerset, WI

I have the new gray suit from Frabill and like it a lot. You’re going to have to layer on the really cold days but for the money it’s built tough. Padding in the right spots. I got mine for $150 at Glensoutdoors.com out of Grand Rapids.

fishinfool
    mn

thats a nice price!! I am 6’3″ and 260 with a 40 inch waist, will the 2X be big enough?

tomberg
    Rochester,MN.

I bought the bibs last week from strikemaster,very nice!! $95.00,reg$165.00.check out web site then specials..

Wade Boardman
    Grand Rapids, MN

Quote:

I have the new gray suit from Frabill and like it a lot. You’re going to have to layer on the really cold days but for the money it’s built tough. Padding in the right spots. I got mine for $150 at Glensoutdoors.com out of Grand Rapids.

Which gray suit? The Frabill Suit and the FXE SnoSuit are both gray.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

If on a budget maybe look at buying just the snosuit bibs. My bibs 10X the use of the jacket. They are that warm that the jacket is only needed in temps and wind below say 10 to 0 degrees out. With the bibs I wear a long sleeve Tee shirt, Fleece hoodie, Light fall jacket and maybe my guidewear uninsulated jacket over that if needed. Spent many a cold trip out on the water this fall after dark and still have not had the jacket out yet.

siclone
    W. Lakeland

Quote:

Here’s the order going from warm to warmest (including colors) for the Frabill winter suits:

Suit (grey) < IceSuit (black) < SnoSuit (grey and red)

I purchased the “Suit” from Reeds during BF because they lised it as an “IceSuit”. It is not. My brother owns a black IceSuit and it is much more insulated. The grey “Suit” has a thin lining. After arguing with the Reeds CSR that its not an IceSuit, he reluctantly gave me a UPS return label but still called it an “IceSuit”. I still got a full refund plus the shipping fee. They still have it listed as an “ICESUIT” on their site. Reeds is WRONG (online) but their paper catalog is correct. But if you still want one, Glens has it for $20 less than Reeds.

Wade Boardman
    Grand Rapids, MN

Quote:

Quote:

Here’s the order going from warm to warmest (including colors) for the Frabill winter suits:

Suit (grey) < IceSuit (black) < SnoSuit (grey and red)

I purchased the “Suit” from Reeds during BF because they lised it as an “IceSuit”. It is not. My brother owns a black IceSuit and it is much more insulated. The grey “Suit” has a thin lining. After arguing with the Reeds CSR that its not an IceSuit, he reluctantly gave me a UPS return label but still called it an “IceSuit”. I still got a full refund plus the shipping fee. They still have it listed as an “ICESUIT” on their site. Reeds is WRONG (online) but their paper catalog is correct. But if you still want one, Glens has it for $20 less than Reeds.

After trying on all the units I’ve found the FXE Snosuit and Clam’s IceArmor Extreme (gray) they are much to thick and bulky. I like the gray SUIT style (or Clams IceArmor blue). A thin turtle neck, hooded sweat shirt and then those thinner bibs and I should be good to go.

eyesfishin
    Somerset, WI

I’m 6’1″ 200 and I ALMOST have too much room in the XL. I’d think the 2xl would be more then enough. I should specify I have the Frabill Suit. I’ve just been calling it the gray suit because of all the confusion with the suit icesuit thing.

luke_haugland
    Iowa City, Iowa

I would recommend for you the Frabill Icesuit, which is black, or the the Frabill Suit, which is gray, if you don’t mind layering.

siclone
    W. Lakeland

Quote:

thats a nice price!! I am 6’3″ and 260 with a 40 inch waist, will the 2X be big enough?

For reference, I’m 6’1″, 255, and 38″ waist and was swimming in the 2XL.

stevenoak

Quote:

If on a budget maybe look at buying just the snosuit bibs. My bibs 10X the use of the jacket. They are that warm that the jacket is only needed in temps and wind below say 10 to 0 degrees out. With the bibs I wear a long sleeve Tee shirt, Fleece hoodie, Light fall jacket and maybe my guidewear uninsulated jacket over that if needed. Spent many a cold trip out on the water this fall after dark and still have not had the jacket out yet.

If you can swing it I would give this some thought.Would be around $300.But I only wear my coat in high wind,wet snow or below 15 degrees.Other wise I put a layer or two under Drake windproof pull over and the greatest hooded sweatshirt I’ve found for icefishing.A Avery pullover with a zipper pocket behind the hand warmer.Perfect for keeping bait and handheld electronics {gps,camera}warm and zipped up so not go down the hole when you bend over.You could add the jacket later if you want and not cough it all at once.If that’s over your budget what I’ve seen of the other Frabill suits they have some of the same features of the sno-suit.

Wade Boardman
    Grand Rapids, MN

I envy you guys who have your suits and love them. I’ve been back and forth to the store 4 times trying each on and attempting to decide what I want. Today was no different. I’m still undecided………..however I’m leaning towards the Frabill IceSuit (black).

fishinfool
    mn

okay, i pulled the trigger and bought the gray suit from Glenns for $190. total including delivery. Nice price

Hope it works for me. FF

Wade Boardman
    Grand Rapids, MN

Well, I guess my search is over as well. Mom and Dad sprung for the Ice Armor Extreme Suit for me this X-mas. Now I just need to get out and see how warm it is.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.