Rattle Reel Recommendatioins

• smokinbobo
    Monticello / Guthrie, MN

So with the new Yetti on the way I’m in the market for some rattle reels. Let’s hear your recommendations on which ones to buy and why!!!

washburn
    Aitkin Mn

Personally I like the bigger wooden and dowel type with the bells in them. The small plastic ones I always have trouble with the tension staying where I like when reeling up or fish taking it. I bought some from milaca but haven’t tried them yet. I rigged mine similar last year to them and they worked great with the rubber that you push against the reel

wally1992
    Evansville MN

I have caught many fish on the wooden rattle reels made by Productive Alternatives out of Fergus Falls. This is one of the brands that Fleet Farm sells. There may be more precisely machined ones out there,but don”t know if that is really needed.
    Productive Alternatives employs mentally and physically handicapped people. It is a grat way for these people to be a part of something.

out_fishing
    Moorhead, MN

I would also stay away from the plastic ones as well we had 4 in our last house and they all cracked in the cold. I have not bought any yet but I will be going to the big wooden ones as well.

mskyfshntchr
    Dodge Center, MN

Buy the cheapest ones you can–the little red plastic ones work great. Now here is what you do:
    Put about 10′ of line on there. Get a clothespin. Tie the line through the metal loop on the clothespin.
    Put your fishing rod you want to use at night in a rod holder and run the line up to the clothespin. Clip the line in the clothespin. Set the rattle reel drag so the clothespin will just barely hang there without falling down. Have your drag open on your reel.
    When the rattle reel goes off- wake up unclip the clothespin, flip your bail, reel up slack and set the hook.
    Gives you a drag to fight the fish and at night- especially if you’ve had a few- it can sure help!

Any questions, I can try to clarify or take a pic…I seem a little rambly today.

deertracker

I prefer the big wooden ones from Fleet. Just make sure to buy a few extra plastic nuts that help tighten the wheel. They seem to loosen sometimes when the line goes out. I changed mine over to nyloc nuts. The only downfall to those is you can’t tighten the spool for transport very easily.
    DT

smokinbobo
    Monticello / Guthrie, MN

Interesting. I wasn’t expecting so many to be recommending the old original wooden design. Thanks for the replys.

washburn
    Aitkin Mn

DT, I’ve found that a rubber band from the hook wrapped around the spool to the crank handle works good then they can spin as much as they want without the mess

Hardwater

I know this is an old link….however, for anyone looking for some great rattle reels check out ultimate rattle reels. They’re pretty sweet. Here’s the link…ultimaterattlereels.com

Attachments:
    1. rattle_reel-19.jpg

2. red_rattle_reel.jpg

McCord Stowater

Those ultimate reels like really nice. Is there any sort of drag or tension system on them?

Hardwater

Yes they have a nyloc but that you can adjust the tension all the way from free spin to as tight as you want.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.