Pettibone park ice fishing

• mrCROWLEY138
    La Crosse, WI

I feel silly about having to ask about this given that I’ve lived in La Crosse most of my life, but I’ve never really heard anything about pettibone as it pertains to ice fishing. Does anyone fish there or are there some safety or other factors that keep people away during ice season? I’ve always done well for bass and panfish in the lagoon during soft water. I’d love to throw out some tipdowns this winter. Again, I’m a bit embarrassed for my ignorance on the topic, but any info would be much appreciated.

cade-laufenberg
    Winona,MN/La Crosse, WI

People do fish in there. You can get into some crappies/bluegills/perch below the bridge around the wood. It is a community spot, but one that doesn’t get hit quite as much as some of the others. My experience there has been a lot of little ones! It’s been a couple years since I tried it though. Good luck.

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

It can be great at times during the hard water season. In the lagoon they have added aerators which have proven to hold fish during the hard water season. Just make sure to keep some distance between you and the aerators

I can see the lagoon from work and it appears that it opened up with the rain

erod61

I fished the spot Cade mentioned several times during the summer and caught many many bass and a lot of small gills. In fact I ran into the same guy a few times fishing for catfish bait. I have thought about fishing this spot as well.

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

Yep, I have fished there a few times with average results. I fished mostly the channel leading under the bridge. Some days are better than others.

mrCROWLEY138
    La Crosse, WI

Thanks for the replies, guys. I knew about the aerators but I’m not sure on their locations. That’s what made me wonder about the safety. That’s what the spud is for I guess though. One follow up though, what’s the regs at the park? MN two lines or WI three? I’ve asked the DNR the same question for fishing at the dam and got conflicting convoluted answers. I’ve always just gone with two to cover my butt in any event.

Mudshark
    LaCrosse WI

Pettibone is in WI…..
    The state line runs through the West Channel….

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.