glove suggestions

• tccat
    Minneapolis, MN.

I need suggestions on the best gloves for ice fishing. Key things being: durability, waterproofing, and warmth. I’m in need of a new pair badly. Any ideas appreciated. -Dan

philput
    Knoxville, IL.

Frabill gloves are awesome….

arklite881south

The Snosuit “Gauntlet” glove is a great glove for Transport to and from fishing spots. Setting up, Drilling holes and Taking down. I lost my pair somewhere last January that I had for a couple seasons. OR DID I LOSE THEM Either way I look to replace them this year. They were the best gloves I’ve owned. http://www.snosuit.com/products/

As a working pair of gloves I’ve been looking hard at the Frabill Task gloves. They are said to be both Waterproof and Windproof without hindering an anglers dexterity while handling fishing equipment. If there is one thing that was cold on me last year it was my fingers. Meeting walleyes and pike topside usually soaked a pair of gloves or just froze my bare hands. Lord knows going shoulder deep tends to override the ability of any glove. Still my thinking is this might be a heck of a combination.

http://www.frabill.com/clothing/all-purpose-task-glove-4.html

I know I need another pair of Gauntlet gloves from Snosuit, but does anyone have any experience yet with the Task gloves from Frabill?? They look like winners, and seemingly might save a digit or two along the way.

Wade Boardman
    Grand Rapids, MN

Quote:

I need suggestions on the best gloves for ice fishing. Key things being: durability, waterproofing, and warmth. I’m in need of a new pair badly. Any ideas appreciated. -Dan

I always have cold hands. The best glove I’ve found was the Frabill Task Glove. I use them all the time. They have great dexterity for use while running a rod even in a boat. In fact I use them hunting in the fall as well (shotgunning for pheasant).

http://www.gandermountain.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?i=435517&pdesc=Frabill_All_Purpose_Task_Glove&aID=504C4&merchID=4006

arklite881south

Thanks guys!! That is was an easy verdict. Task gloves need to be ordered shortly!!

Ok I need to start ice fishing as I seem to keep finding things I NEED!!

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Quote:

Quote:

I always have cold hands. The best glove I’ve found was the Frabill Task Glove. I use them all the time. They have great dexterity for use while running a rod even in a boat. In fact I use them hunting in the fall as well (shotgunning for pheasant).

http://www.gandermountain.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?i=435517&pdesc=Frabill_All_Purpose_Task_Glove&aID=504C4&merchID=4006

I wore the heck out of my Task Gloves last winter on the ice while fishing. When traveling on the snowmobile, setting up shacks or in extreme conditions I used the heavier Gauntlet glove. When I needed to feel what I was doing and when dexterity was a must… the Task Glove was the ticket.

icenutz
    Aniwa, WI

Quote:

Thanks guys!! That is was an easy verdict. Task gloves need to be ordered shortly!!

Chris,

If you take a medium Glove Gander has them for $29.99 and free shipping. Buy 4 pair and get $20 off of $100

Dave Koonce
    Prairie du Chien Wi.

I have been waring some ice armor gloves i got for Christmas a couple years ago and I really like them… I would however like to try out the FXE Task gloves..

arklite881south

Quote:

Quote:

Chris,

If you take a medium Glove Gander has them for $29.99 and free shipping. Buy 4 pair and get $20 off of $100

That looks tough to beat and would also provide a few inexpensive Christmas presents!! Thanks!!

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

My hand/finger circulation is horrible. I might even opt for the more cumbersome Gauntlet Mitt, combined with the task glove.

cbeeksma
    Delta, WI

I have used both the Frabill task glove and the FXE Task Glove and though they both worked great, I actually rate the Frabill Task glove higher for both warmth and being waterproof…

arklite881south

Quote:

My hand/finger circulation is horrible. I might even opt for the more cumbersome Gauntlet Mitt, combined with the task glove.

That Gauntlet glove from Snosuit I can tell you is very warm Pug. I would imagine the mitt though a bit more cumbersome would be even warmer.

arklite881south

Quote:

I have used both the Frabill task glove and the FXE Task Glove and though they both worked great, I actually rate the Frabill Task glove higher for both warmth and being waterproof…

WOW!! That’s a heck of an endorsement Chris!! I know how warm the Snosuit Gauntlets were for me. Trust me I will have a pair of those task gloves this season. I think I’d like to try a pair on as I’d like those task gloves to fit snug. Seems the extra room or sloppy fit makes working with gloves difficult. Then you end up with your gloves in the slush as you throw them off in the heat of battle. The Fishing Queen says I’ll probably require an extra large pair. I guess she knows a lot about gloves.

icenutz
    Aniwa, WI

Quote:

Quote:

WOW!! That’s a heck of an endorsement Chris!! I know how warm the Snosuit Gauntlets were for me. Trust me I will have a pair of those task gloves this season. I think I’d like to try a pair on as I’d like those task gloves to fit snug. Seems the extra room or sloppy fit makes working with gloves difficult. Then you end up with your gloves in the slush as you throw them off in the heat of battle. The Fishing Queen says I’ll probably require an extra large pair. I guess she knows a lot about gloves.

You know what they say about guys with big hands, Big hands small,

just kidding!

tccat
    Minneapolis, MN.

Thanks to all for the feedback. Im sold on the task gloves, they seem like a versatile glove.

cbeeksma
    Delta, WI

As you know Chris you need them all….Gauntlet gloves/mittens for traveling out to the fishing spot and Task gloves for fishing….The Frabill Task gloves worked well with rod/reel on late open water also…

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

I like the idea of being able to use them on cold open water trips too. Like I said, I have poor circulation, which means if it 40, rainy and windy, my hands “freeze”.

arklite881south

Quote:

As you know Chris you need them all….Gauntlet gloves/mittens for traveling out to the fishing spot and Task gloves for fishing….The Frabill Task gloves worked well with rod/reel on late open water also…

Well one thing is for sure Chris…….COLD hands are no fun!! I’ll be testing out the Task Gloves. Thanks for the advice.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Quote:

COLD hands are no fun!! I’ll be testing out the Task Gloves. Thanks for the advice.

I don’t mind the cold hands, its the excruciating pain when they thaw! LOL

Calvin Svihel
    Northwest Metro, MN

I used the Frabill Task glove for fishing last winter and they rocked just like mentioned above. The bigger gaunlet glove or mitt is ideal for moving via snowmobile or wheeler or setting up houses.
    I found the Task glvoe is somewhat waterproof, I am not going to be sticking my hand under water to land a fish or use this glove as a slush remover, but and incidental surge into the hole will keep your fingers dry.
    I suggest also always having an extra pair of gloves for whatever the reason or at least some hand warmers. Hand warmers go a long way in the pockets of a snosuit. Also if you don’t use gloves, keep a dry towel around to wipe the water or slime of your hands after handling a fish this will help keep your hands warmer as well. The cool water is a killer for cold hands.

arklite881south

A small towel is a great idea Cal. Your hands WILL get wet if you are catching any fish. Small Towel……..CHECK

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

And wet hands with just a little wind = twice as cold. Like I need to tell any of you guys that!

arklite881south

I dug this clip up from a couple years ago. This brings back memories of COLD and SORE hands!! Just a little further information on that 20lb Gator. James and I were snake bit on that day. We had too many close calls that day. When that fish hit the bottom of the hole it was BARELY hooked AGAIN. Only the skin of the mouth had a slight barb. I decided this fish was going to get some air time at the expense of a digit or two. I knew this pike would not be hoisted out by the leader, so went deep for the team. There is little doubt this was dangerous and COLD!!

http://www.idofishing.com/videos/viewvid.php/Number/856260/rainy-lake-pike-w-chris-granrud-jan-12-2010

See more IDO Fishing Videos!

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Quote:

I dug this clip up from a couple years ago. This brings back memories of COLD and SORE hands!! Just a little further information on that 20lb Gator. James and I were snake bit on that day. We had too many close calls that day. When that fish hit the bottom of the hole it was BARELY hooked AGAIN. Only the skin of the mouth had a slight barb. I decided this fish was going to get some air time at the expense of a digit or two. I knew this pike would not be hoisted out by the leader, so went deep for the team. There is little doubt this was dangerous and COLD!!

I remember that well my friend. Amazing how much a pike bite will do to take the fun and excitement out of a big fish, eh? I knew something wasn’t right the second you put your hand on that fish.

arklite881south

I thnk the worst cut I’ve received from a pike was a couple summers ago. I had 4 customers in the boat when we landed a 21lb pike. I elected to place her in the back oxygenated livewell while I got ready for the pic. Upon grabbing the pike from the well I slid my fingers under her gill plate and began to bring all 21lb out. You can guess what she did. Big fish seem to NEVER play by the rules. She did precisely what that pike did on the flag; She rolled and spun on me. In this case she spun a razor sharp tooth around my thumb!! “MOMMY!!” I quickly squeezed my thumb with my other hand. The guys said “DID SHE GET YA” I said yeah……I think she got me pretty good. LOL!! They said lets take a look. When I released the pressure we had a 2 way “Thumb Sprinkler” shoot out both sides of WX2100. Of course they were a bit concerned demanding we go in and get that fixed!!! “OH NO” I said. Heck it was 9 am on a guide trip!! Tape it and go!! We cut up a towel and duct taped my entire thumb!! Cheryl was not that impressed. But the good thing……… it WASN’T COLD!! LOL!! What a man will do for a FISH!!

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.