Ice with slush on top

• Carl S

So being relatively new to ice fishing I’m trying to figure out how safe certain ice conditions are. I went out today and checked a small lake. There was a good 5 – 6″ clear ice close to shore under the snow but when I got out a ways the ice changed to a snow covering a slushy crust of 2″ and then solid ice of 3-4″. How safe is it when you have slushy ice over good ice? I didn’t like it because it made measuring the good ice difficult.

Wharf Rat
    Mahtomedi

Slush on ice trips me out so I stay off it. The only exception is late ice when I know there is a solid 15-20 inches of ice under the melting snow/slush and there are lots of other folks on the ice. Early ice is tricky. Introducing variables feels like a recipe for disaster to me.

Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

Actually that’s somewhat common particularly in years where there is some significant snow. Which usually is most years. Farther you go out, the weight of the snow pushes down more so in the deeper basin areas and then it will break cracks in the ice and the lake water oozes’ back up creating the slush. Sounds more dangerous than it ultimately is if the ice cap is at least in that 5-6″ range. Unless there are springs releasing into the lake (another concern)! Otherwise, if below freezing the ice should remain relatively stable. When I have encountered, I setup not too far from some skid houses figuring if they hold up, so should I.
    But then again, I don’t want to be the canary in the coal mine!

milemark_714

A spud bar is your best friend when in doubt.

Tyler Warner

A spud bar is your best friend when in doubt.

I agree. I always have my spud bar on me until there is about 8″ of ice. Once in a while you run into a sketchy spot and want that spud bar to check it.

Carl S

Yeah I was using my spud bar and wearing my life jacket and picks for safety. I just wasn’t sure if the slush should be avoided completely or if it’s ok to travel over when there’s solid ice below it.

yahbuddy
    Holmen, WI

I had a similar situation yesterday. I noticed wet snow in a particular spot I wanted to fish, it only took 3 hits with my spud to go through. That was the only area my spud went through the rest had 5-6″ of ice. You can never be to careful with early ice!

Denny O
    Central IOWA

Maybe use this as a guide, it may help you.

Attachments:
    1. tice-thickness.jpg

jarrod holbrook

All hail the mighty spud! It never lies. Saved me many times. I NEVER go on Erie without one.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.