Ice tackle/gear in summer

• Garrett Van Gorden

I’m curious, what do all of you use for baits year round? I used to never touch my ice lures once the ice went out.

Now for me, the jigging raps, chubby darters, and lindy darter jump from the shack to the boat.

What else do you use year round? For that matter, what non tackle “ice” stuff do you use in the summer too?

Aaron Kalberer

I use just about all my stuff through out the year, granted I do not keep a ton of tackle. I fish 3-5 times a week through the whole year but only have 7 tackle trays. Cranks and spinner/lindy rigs are about the only thing that don’t go with me everywhere. All ice fishing tackle has found a place in my boat.

I wear my ice fishing suit on really cold days/rainy days and does pretty well for that. I use my vexilar in kayaks, and my portables bar light to add more light in the boat on occasion. My permanent shack has pedestals in it that share the same seats as my boat as well. I try to keep as much stuff in use year round as possible.

Rodwork
    Farmington, MN

I use a lot of the tackle sold as ice fishing tackle in the summer. The fish don’t know the season the tackle was marketed to.

Rick Janssen

Since I mostly fish pan fish in the winter, I always have my small ice lure box in the boat throughout the summer. I find that the small winter jigs work great throughout the year. Same with the plastics – use them all the time.

basseyes

A small thill egg shaped ice bobber and a small demon jig with a maggot is hard to beat for panfish well into June.

IceWack

My whole slip bobber case goes with me either season along with the jigs and plastics. Lipless cranks come along with me as well. My helix 7 portable is my fish finder for both seasons, I even let my nieces use my jigging poles for catching sunnies off the dock. Only the vertical jigging spoons/rattles don’t get use from me during the summer time.

Ryan Wilson

Small tungsten jigs work great under a float.

Timmy

I use my favorite walleye jigging spoons quite often in the early season until a good crankbait bite starts. A 1/4 oz slender spoon with a minnow head is deadly…..

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

I use my favorite walleye jigging spoons quite often in the early season until a good crankbait bite starts. A 1/4 oz slender spoon with a minnow head is deadly…..

Do u just fish that vertically under your boat?

eyeguy507
    SE MN

Any spoons you use for eyes in winter are killer in spring. Cast them or jig em under the boat. True story, I caught 14 fish in a row on 14 casts on UPRL around memorial about 6 years ago tossing a gold and silver kastmaster spoon. That was an unforgettable weekend of fishing but I use my bigger spoons quite a bit on soft water.

Timmy

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Timmy wrote:</div>

Do u just fish that vertically under your boat?

Yup. We do a fair bit of anchoring/jigging early in the yr and the spoon is usually my first thing in the water. I seldom need to change.

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

I carry an assortment of Demon jigging spoons along with a range of colors in the Micro Nuggie. These work really well when drifted thru suspended crappies. They also perform great when crappies are relating to deep sunken trees or limbs and fished vertically.

As mentioned, the fish don’t know there’s a difference in the tackle. The tackle manufacturers want to convince anglers that the fish do. They actually succeed at it too every now and again, but not with the fish.

KP
    Hudson, WI

I sometimes use my TUCR Precision when out for boat rides. When others want to sit and drink in the boat ill toss a line out. Nice because the rode is small and doesn’t take up much space when bringing people out.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

None of them. Because I don’t have any ice tackle. Because I don’t ice fish.

tindall
    Minneapolis MN

Slender spoons, some jigs. I also use the foam bobbers for panfish with kids because they can be easily clipped on or off if they want to cast. Plus, the slip bobbers sometimes hang up with a hook worm setup unless you put an overly big split shot on.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.