Ice season coming to an end? 50's on Saturday

• mnrabbit
    South Central Minnesota

I just pulled up the extended day forecast on AccuWeather for my area (between the Twin Cities and Mankato). This Saturday is a high of 56! In the 45 day forecast there are NO days where the daily high is below freezing, and 4 days where the low reaches below 20. I am going to thoroughly enjoy being on the ice and getting a suntan in 56 degrees this weekend, but that may be about the end of the ice year for me. Hopefully the ice can remain walkable the first weekend of March.

bigstorm
    Southern WI

I’ll be out this weekend in southern WI, leaving on vacation the following weekend and expecting to put the boat in when I return on 3/12

tegg
    Hudson, Wi/Aitkin Co

Living in Hudson, Wi I noticed Lake Mallilieu in town (dam on the Willow River) is already showing open water on the usual suspects. Granted, this body of water has current and springs but last year it was ice free on Mar 29. It’s not even March and it’s showing signs of ice melt. As Reference it completely froze over this season about Dec 18. I’m curious if it will stay ice covered for three months this season. It could beat the early ice out of 2011-2012.

tim hurley

50 is 20 degrees above freezing how many days have we had that were 20 below freezing? (10 above) We will not loose more than an inch on Sat. Ice also creates its own micro-climate so 50 above is not 50 above at the surface of the ice. What kills ice is hard warm rain, not sun and one day of 50. Most years you could say 5 more weeks of ice at this point, this year probably 3.

Duke M

Last year it was 60 degrees on March 10, 64 on the 12th, upper 60’s on the 14th and SEVENTY NINE on the 16th! My wife and I were out with our bib straps tied around our waists. The last day I was out was the 20th on sagging, honey combed ice. So low 50’s doesn’t panic me yet.

Duke

Wade Boardman
    Grand Rapids, MN

The ice (and winter) won’t be leaving soon enough. We have plenty of ice and snow up here to protect things for some time.

Mitch Bradshaw
    Hugo, MN

50’s makes me want to get out on the river but I’ll be out on the ice prefishing for a tournament next weekend. There is still plenty of ice out on the lakes but after this weekend the accesses could be pretty dicey!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.