Ice Rod Cork Rings

• curleytail

I wondered if anyone has a good source for cork rings with a 1/8″ bore?

I’ve always ordered these from Jann’s Netcraft in the past. They’re a good price but the shipping seems to have steadily increased and I’m not often meeting the $150 free shipping minimum when I order.

Lots of other good sources for rings but they all come with a 1/4 inch borr at the smallest which doesn’t work well for many ice rod blanks.

Thanks,

Tucker

Ryan Wilson

Use 1/2” masking tape to create 2-3 arbors on the blank to snug up against the 1/4” hole. Use some extra epoxy to fill the voids left in between the arbors. That handle isn’t going anywhere.

curleytail

Thanks Ryan. That would work and probably be fine, but on graphite feel rods I really like reaming each ring for a snug fit between the cork and blank.

It probably doesn’t make much difference but I try to add the least amount of weight and materials on feel rods as possible. On noodle rods I’d worry about it a little less. Your suggestion would certainly save some time just gluing up on a 1/4 inch mandrel though! May have to try it on a personal rod and compare.

Bassn Dan

Jann’s is the only source that I know of for 1/8″ hole cork. They usually have deals for Black Friday with lower dollar amounts for free shipping. Sign up for their email ads and/or follow on FaceBook.

I also don’t like masking tape arbors. Mudhole offers a carbon fiber spacer tube that’s .250 OD, and .200 inside dia. You can use it whole, or cut it into arbors.

I’ve also done thread and epoxy finish arbors using size D thread.

Loren I Duerr

I always sleeve any ice rods that are less than .250. If you don’t over time the small diameter rods will flex in the cork to the point where the rings will separate and loosen on blank. Just my opinion.

bigcrappie
    Blaine

Yep Ebay if your worried about shipping

curleytail

I thought at one point I had found them on Ebay but can’t find any there now unless I just haven’t found the right search terms.

If need be I can pay the shipping. Just looking to see if there are other options. If i need to buy sleeves and mess with installing them, plus add the extra hardware then I might as well just pay an extra couple bucks for shipping and put together a more simple handle with fewer steps.

Rodwork
    Farmington, MN

Netcraft or Ebay is the only spots that I have seen them.

I punch my own rings out of a sheet. It doesn’t take that much time. With the punch set I have I can punch the inner hole and outer ring at the same time. I welded the mandrill to an arbor press so I no longer have to use a hammer. The great part is I can make any size I want. This saves a lot of time sanding for the perfect fit.

curleytail

Rodwork, now that sounds pretty neat! I should look into that. I’m not sure if getting the sheets and setting up a punch makes sense for the small handful of rods I make every year but it sounds interesting.

Thanks for the idea!

Tucker

Rodwork
    Farmington, MN

It is not cheap to set up. I had the punch set when I decided to try it so all I needed was another mandrill to attach to my press. Cost wise it is cheaper to buy premade rings when you include the tools. Eventually it will pay for itself. Making your own opens up different options and materials for your handle designs.

Attachments:
    1. Tiny-Rodwork-Custom-Casting-Handle.jpg

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.