Ice Rod case recommendations

• Snake ii’s

Looking to get one. ~ 6 rod cap.. with room for gear.

Jamin
    Hudson, WI

Scheels outfitter ultimate.
    Ice fishing Innovations.
    Flambeau
    Eagle claw

Lots of options depending on reel setups, amount of gear you want in there, and what you’re willing to pay.

maddogg

I have an Eagle Claw they are bulky but I like it.It holds 6 rods easily and some gear.

BassinBill
    La Crosse, Wi

Just picked up the Scheels ultimate yesterday. Its $30 off right now. It’s kind of bulky but holds 6 rods with spinning reels no problem and comes with 5 Plano boxes. They also have another on sale that looked good but would have to collapse the reel handles to get it to close.

Ice Cap

I have the Striker transport case. Broke two rod tips at first and almost tossed it in the garbage. Other people have had the same problem. I finally learned to make sure the rod tip isn’t loaded when putting the rods in the case and I haven’t had a problem since. Carries 5 rods but I never use more than a couple anyhow. The rest are just there for back ups in the event something breaks.

Great case and holds a ton of gear. You can wear it as a back pack if you’re walking out.

Shawn U

I love this Eagle Claw. six rods and gear

Attachments:
    1. 20191104_061533.jpg

BigWerm
    SW Metro

I love this Eagle Claw. six rods and gear

x2 going on year 4 or 5 of mine.

jld
    Holmen

I saw the guys on the latest IDO episode in LOTW they had a soft sided case that looked to hold 3-4 rods or did I just imagine that?

Pat McSharry
    Keymaster
    Saint Michael, MN

I saw the guys on the latest IDO episode in LOTW they had a soft sided case that looked to hold 3-4 rods or did I just imagine that?

We have started using the Lakewood rod cases and really like them. They have two sizes. The smaller one holds 4 easily. 6 would definitely be pushing it. The larger one would swallow up 6 with tons of room to spare.

Ice Rod Caddie *Redesigned for 2019*

Re: the Lakewood. The big one is said to hold up to 10 rods. I have 2 of the original size cases, both well over 10 years old and going strong. I easily carry 6 panfish rods in those @ 36″ long, so @ 41″, the newly designed smaller case could easily fit 6, as long as it’s not 6 36″ rods.

For walleye setups I’ve been favoring the eagle claw boxes.

I’m open to recommendations for a case for lake trout rods. I’m looking something that hold 2 46″ rods and a small amount of tackle.

Attachments:
    1. 20191216_154455.jpg

Pat McSharry
    Keymaster
    Saint Michael, MN

as long as it’s not 6 36″ rods.

Yeah that’s where it gets tricky for me. Their large caddie will carry a ton of rods. I haven’t actually tried to see how many yet.

Chris Messerschmidt
    Minnesota

I had the Ice Fishing Innovations case and its nice, but started to get frustrated with its size.

I just picked up an Eagle Claw Case and its awesome. Half the size, stores the same amount of gear, and all 6 rods I had in the other case.

Much more user friendly when it comes to customizing the inserts and stuff as well.

vinella

Anyone have the 2B Fishing ice rod bag? Looking for feedback. I use the Eagle Claw case for traveling but looking for something more portable. I see Glen’s has them marked down to $75 right now.

Sylvanboat

How do you carry your gear out? I drag all my gear in my Flipover so I only need my rod case for rods. Everything else separately stored.

vinella

For this I’m looking for portability when I’m hole hopping with my Glide-Lite sled. So something I can wear as a backpack or sling across my shoulders.

JoeMX1825
    MN

original otter rod case, best case imo…

Parker Edgington

This will be my 3rd season with the flambeau (same as the eagle claw) mine is awesome, has room for my main rods and all of my jig boxes and then some. Price is good and it has held up well.

Doug M
    SE SD

I have been using the striker ice transporter for 4-5 years. It holds a lot of gear but will be a bit bulkier than the 2B rod bag. It has the over the shoulder harness and also backpack slings.

vinella

I have been using the striker ice transporter for 4-5 years. It holds a lot of gear but will be a bit bulkier than the 2B rod bag. It has the over the shoulder harness and also backpack slings.

Thanks Doug. That’s the type/style I’m thinking. The 2B bag seems similar but less pricey. Anyone have the 2B bag?

Doug M
    SE SD

No problem. I have seen a couple for sale on craigslist in the $75 range a while back. I got mine at the st Paul ice show for $80. Sorry can’t help with the 2B bag.

Rodwork
    Farmington, MN

I have not been a big fan of the rod cases. They are big and bulky. In my portable I need to take up someone’s lap to get the stuff in and out. I always use my shuttle I made with rod holders and if I need more rods I will bring my Scheels Ultimate with. The Ultimate is nice. I use a shoot gun case if I am bringing spare back-up rods without reels. My shuttle holds 7 rods, ice scoop, graph, and all my tackle in one hand. Put the auger in the other hand and start jumping around.

Jeff Gilberg

I picked up a 2B late last season, but I haven’t used it yet.

vinella

I picked up a 2B late last season, but I haven’t used it yet.

Is it just one strap or can you wear it like a backpack? Their website is pretty short on details. Any other input on how it seems up close? I don’t have anywhere near me to look at them in person.

lrott2003
    Wisconsin

How would you rate the three cases Eagle Claw, Flambeau, Scheels Ultimate 2.0 for travel and rods safely getting from point A to B. Do you have to worry about tossing one of those cases around and things shifting in the case causing damage to rods, etc… I am leaning towards Scheels Ultimate but the Flambeau and Eagle Claw look similar just not as good for transport and rough handling. If anyone has any input let me know. I can justify the extra cost since I will have this case for probably a long, long time.

Jeff Gilberg

I think its just one strap, but I don’t remember I’ll check when I get home.

Erik Swenson

I bought a Plano AW Tactical case last season and love it. Kind of surprised no one else has mentioned this as an option. Unless they’ve shot up in price or disappeared from the market they were a relatively reasonable expense compared to some of the other’s mentioned. I do have 6 rods in mine. It’s a 42″ so probably limited to 36″ rod length. There is some room you can create for some ice jig boxes and extra line, etc. Not abundant extra space, but enough if organized. Anyway, plenty of fine options out there. Good luck in your search.

bigcrappie
    Blaine

FF has a Lakes and Rivers hard sided case that looks nice, not as big as the Stryker or Otter case. Something to look at. Myself I use a no longer made case like the Stryker but smaller and works prefect for me.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

FF has a Lakes and Rivers hard sided case that looks nice, not as big as the Stryker or Otter case. Something to look at. Myself I use a no longer made case like the Stryker but smaller and works prefect for me.

I have 2 lakes and river cases that I really like

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 32 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.