Ice out pike

• BassBuster2

Rainy is officially open ,I got out yesterday looking for pike.The fishing was slow I did get 15 pike with a 36 inch being the biggest.I found water temps in the lower fifties that’s where the pike were.The areas I fished were loaded with small perch,I believe the pike have spawned and are in feeding on the perch.
    BB2

joc
    Western and Central, NY

15 pike with a 36″ to boot is slow? Sounds like a great outing to me! 50+ degrees is pretty warm for ice-out, for the lake I fish. It’s usually ~ 38 degrees.

I’ve been out a number of times, my biggest post spawn pike was a 34″ fatty at 10+ lps followed by a 32″. Most between (31 to 26)”, 2 to 4 pike per outing with a few bass and tigers to mix it up.

gtaggart

I was out on Rainy the last two days. I caught over 50 pike, but did not catch one over 30″. I did miss one that was over 40″ yesterday. Today, I found water temps in the mid fifties in the back of bays. The lake is pretty low, be careful out there.

BassBuster2

My buddy got a 42 incher and I got a 38 inch pike today.We lost two other big ones and saw several more.They are scarred up from the spawn and really starting to get active.
    BB2

BassBuster2

Sorry about the double post don’t know what happened.

patk
    Nisswa, MN

Ohhh, the jealousy flame flame flame

Not personal, just really, really missing Rainy and Pike. Unfortunately had to cancel my fall trip due to buddy’s work issues.

Yesterday we were on the phone trying to schedule something in the next couple of weeks. Wouldn’t you know it, our schedules don’t appear to line up until the last week of June.

How about some pics? I guess my jealously will have to hold a bit while I live vicariously through you bow

BassBuster2

The big pike continue to elude me ,I did manage 1 decent pike with a bunch of small ones on Monday.The bass are starting to move in,had a buddy get 15 nice ones yesterday .We haven’t got any walleye yet but haven’t been chasing them either.We will be out looking this weekend.Good luck on the opener.
    BB2

BassBuster2

Swim baits to locate then a jig with a small fluke .
    BB2

joc
    Western and Central, NY

You got a 38″ and are complaining about size? I’m satisfied with a pike of 34″ and up. However that’s me. I can count the # of 40+ incher’s I’ve caught on 1 hand. Usually any pike of 10 pounds+ is considered a very good fish. That includes the far north. Trophy no, good solid fish yes. Unlike muskies pike take many years to obtain size, anywhere that I have fished.

BassBuster2

You got a 38″ and are complaining about size? I’m satisfied with a pike of 34″ and up. However that’s me. I can count the # of 40+ incher’s I’ve caught on 1 hand. Usually any pike of 10 pounds+ is considered a very good fish. That includes the far north. Trophy no, good solid fish yes. Unlike muskies pike take many years to obtain size, anywhere that I have fished.

I was not complaining.Rainy lake truly has some monsters in it,I never said anything about a 38 incher being a bad size fish. I just went back an reread my post ,I don’t have any idea what you are talking about,if you satisfied with a 34 incher that’s fine,but don’t expect everyone to have those standards,anybody that has fished Rainy knows what Iam talking about.
    BB2

joc
    Western and Central, NY

I was not complaining.Rainy lake truly has some monsters in it,I never said anything about a 38 incher being a bad size fish. I just went back an reread my post ,I don’t have any idea what you are talking about,if you satisfied with a 34 incher that’s fine,but don’t expect everyone to have those standards,anybody that has fished Rainy knows what Iam talking about.
    BB2

Sure sounds like some fine pike fishing!

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

It’s “fine” on average days. Some days it is flat out unbelievable. toast

BassBuster2

Here’s a nice one I got few years ago,I don’t hold them like this anymore.
    BB2

Attachments:
    1. image20.jpg

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

You’re not taking Larry after those Gators are you?

BassBuster2

Yes sir ,we have been out chasing them.We are starting to bass fish now. Lol
    BB2

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.