Ice is starting

• TimJones
    Lake Osakis,MN

Woke up to some ice on the lake this morning. Had ice from shore out to about 200 feet, just to the outside edge of the rushes. Ice is only about 1/4 to 1/2 inch thick and is not good ice. Gray in color and soft. Mixed with the blowing snow last night as it froze. The ice that is there has a dusting to 1 inch of snow on it. Should make some better ice the next couple of days with no more snow until Saturday. That 1-3 inches of snow on Saturday could be a problem with the thin ice that we will have by then.

Joe Scegura
    Alexandria MN

I’m hoping the snow just misses us!

TimJones
    Lake Osakis,MN

Must have added another 1/2 inch on top of the ice from the snow we got today. Need the snow and wind to leave the state for a week.

TimJones
    Lake Osakis,MN

Had to head in to Alex today around noon so I took a little side trip to Manthey’s Bay because that is typically the first area that has walkable ice. Stood at the 145th Ave access. To the right was all open water, straight out was ice for maybe 30 feet and then open water and that extended to the left into Manthey’s Bay for a ways. The rest of the Bay looked frozen over from what I could see from there. Nothing anywhere on the lake looks like it would be walkable yet. Lots of ice on the lake and still making more. The winds have been keeping small pockets of water open scattered through out the ice that has formed so the ice thickness is going to be very inconsistent for a while. The winds have started to die down so with calmer winds I would think the lake might lock up in the next day or two. Just so the snow stays away for Saturday.

TimJones
    Lake Osakis,MN

Took a drive around the lake today. The only open water I saw was in the middle out from Holiday Resort. Rest of the lake was covered with ice. When I got home I went out to check the ice thickness in front of my place. Went out about 5 feet from shore and chopped a hole with the spud bar. Measured 2 inches of ice with my measuring stick. Went out to about 15 feet from shore, chopped another hole and measured just a hair under 2 inches. Went out another 5 feet and brushed away the snow with my boot as I had done with the other holes. Hit the ice with the spud bar and all I could hear was cracking going off in every direction. Retreated to the shore. Going to give it a couple of days and check again. Hope we don’t get that snow for Saturday night and Sunday.

NateR
    St Louis Park, MN

Hi Tim

Look forward to hearing what this weekends little snow storm did for the ice. Thanks for the reports.

TimJones
    Lake Osakis,MN

Hi Tim

Look forward to hearing what this weekends little snow storm did for the ice. Thanks for the reports.

There was about 3-4 inches of snow on the lake. With the wind we had Wednesday most of it blew off. There are some areas where there is little to no snow and others where it has drifted a little. Starting to see more activity. More people walking out with portables. Saw three small skid houses go out today. One by snowmobile, one by atv, and one by utv. May be a lot of snow on the ice by Saturday afternoon.

NateR
    St Louis Park, MN

Thanks Tim. Look forward to getting out there soon.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.