Ice in the Rochester area

• chirp
    Rochester

Anybody been out in the area lately? Any ice reports? Any Mississippi ice reports? Looking to get out.

eyeguy507
    SE MN

Install the ice report app. Ice should be fine no doubt.

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

I don’t think what little warm we’ve had has bothered ice much in this area. Maybe I’d forget about driving on it and opt to walk now. There hasn’t been a huge amount of run-off. Cascade creek and the Zumbro River look to be flowing well within normal limits so high water I don’t think has hurt anything. I’d be leery of ice if the shoreline has started to show water at the edges for any distance. Something else to consider is spring activity at this time of year. This melt water seems to be going into the ground more than into the rivers and springs can get pretty active when the ground water starts getting refueled. Lakes with springs might have some unseen parts with thinned out ice now, Foster comes to mind along with the Zumbro in a few locations.

munchy
    NULL

Install the ice report app. Ice should be fine no doubt.

Not much help for him as there have not been very many reports being posted in the Rochester area this winter.

Attachments:
    1. 434041BD-83B4-4D54-A68A-093C87705A63.jpeg

chirp
    Rochester

Thanks guys for the info. Hope to get out Tuesday. I’ll report back if I get out.

hawkguy

I was at Silvercreek yesterday. There was some standing water at the access, but everywhere we drilled had about 2″ of slush then good ice.

eyeguy507
    SE MN

Plenty of ice at FA, was there today. 4 inches of slush on top of a foot of ice. Its going to take more than a couple days in the 40’s to melt that. Temps dropping this week will harden it all back up, I bet we got at least 3 more weeks of ice.

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

The Zumbro is up about 1 foot and three inches according to the lake monitor site. That means its not quite up to the summer pool but there could be some shoreline water now. Once this happens I don’t recommend driving ANYTHING out on the lake. Walking fine.

The Zumbro River below Silver Lake and Cascade Creek are both running a bit stronger and higher today but not enough to start moving the furniture. Both appear to be about 8 to 10″ higher than what they’ve been running this winter.

404 ERROR
    MN

The Mississippi backwater ice is going relatively fast, but there is still plenty for foot traffic in every spot I checked from Winona to Lake City this weekend. One spot was littered with trucks and SUV’s…the road had about 9-10″ of ice and 2″ of water…

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.