Ice Fishing Hub Suggestions

• stevenhand01

I am thinking about getting a hub for ice fishing next year. I am looking for a hub that can hold and sleep 3 people. It also need to be able to survive harsh winds and the cold. Any suggestions? Thanks

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

well, im not sure that Hubs are really designed to sleep a bunch of people in harsh conditions. You can sleep in a hub im not suggesting that you cant but I would temper your expectations. Finding a hub that can fit 3 guys with cots in it may be a challenge. I fish out of a Polarbird and IMO the floor that comes with it would really help to keep the cold down for sleeping in. I have the 4T which is the biggest one they make and im not sure I would want to sleep 3 people in it. Any of the insulated shelters should hold heat pretty much the same. For your needs I might suggest looking at the otter resort hub and piece together a floor with mats.

Dan Baker

Here’s a great deal I saw this morning. I have the Cabela’s branded version of this shack and it is great. Plenty of room for 3.

Attachments:
    1. Capture-1.jpg

gonehunting

If you want the room and warmth I would suggest the Clam 1660 Mag Thermal. Well built and nice material. A lot of room especially if sleeping three guys.

TipUpFishOn

Here’s a great deal I saw this morning. I have the Cabela’s branded version of this shack and it is great. Plenty of room for 3.

I have this shelter and for $215 that’s a pretty good deal. I got it last year for $180 from Cabelas so I’m happy with it. I think sleeping 3 guys in there with any type of gear would be tight. And it’s warm with a heater but not the warmest and the xl2000 is not insulated. If I wanted to sleep 3 adults comfortably I’d look into the otter xth resort which has the 600d thermal tec layering or the double hub offering from eskimo (9416?).

McCord Stowater

Eskimo 9416i. Big enough for probably 4 full size cots. I slept in my uninsulated version a few times with a cot inside and it worked great, even once up on LOTW in late January. Now I have a 8×16 wheelhouse I don’t use the hub very much.

Keys to sleeping in hub shack.
    – Stake down shack and hubs – last thing you want is a hub slamming into the heater or your head while you’re sleeping
    – Bank the shack – Biggest reason for lost heat it wind and escaping heat. The better you bank in the skirt with snow/ice the warmer you will be.
    – Get a big enough heater – I used a double sunflower heater from Mr. Heater (MH30K) and I always thought it was enough to keep me warm. With an insulated version that would be even warmer. A regular big buddy heater wont cut it.
    – VENT! Open up all the vents you have and maybe even crack the door or one of the windows. Those sunflowers burn a lot of oxygen and the last thing you want is to get CO poisoning.
    – Get a mat – get something to stand on like a rubber mat so that you aren’t directly on the ice. Little overkill to do it under the entire shack but a rubber welcome mat is cheap.

busse3775
    Fargo, ND

I have an Otter hub house I just bought this year and it is very warm. If you plan on sleeping in it and want something to stand up to harsh winds, BUY A THERMAL! They are a lot more sturdy and you won’t have condensation on the inside of your house dripping on you overnight.

Dusty Gesinger
    Minnetrista, Minnesota

Save space with a bunkbed cot and be careful with a heater over night. Would suck to not wake up.

Jack Patschull
    Rochester mn

I love my otter xth. Holds up in the wind and keeps us warm. I purchased the insulated one. But I don’t think it can sleep three people

ozzyky
    On water

No complaints on my otter xth resort. Fished 6 comfortable this winter at times. With 5 flashers running no problem(tweaking required)

Al Case

Plus 1 on the Clam 1660 Mag Thermal. I have the Bigfoot 4000XL full thermal. But, for sleeping 3, I’d go with the 1660.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.