ice camping

• castle-rock-clown

I an fairly new to ice fishing, less than five years, and an becoming more and more enamored with it every time out. In my 20s I wanted to experience winter camping, but never could make it come together. Fast forward 30 years and I am now incorporating camping on frozen lakes during ice fishing excursions. For the past few years it’s been in a Clam thermal hub shelter, this year I leaped up to a Firebrand fish house trailer 6.5 x 14.

On previous trips there was substantial snow cover and nights were fairly mild. On my latest trip there was little snow cover and very cold temps on newer ice. I was blessed with fellow fishermen during the day, but nights were solo. I was on a quite large flowage and when the last flicker of ATV lights left the ice an immediate sence of isolation set in. The nights were long and the ice very active with loud noises resembling sonic booms. There were also cracks sounding like near lightning strikes, and rips that seemed to travel from one end of the lake shore to the other. Instinct caused great concern to the point where I was downright scared, but logic told me this was the ice becoming thicker and stronger. I know it would have been a one in a million chance,but the thought of a heave occurring right beneath me did cross my mind. On my last day the wind really picked up, and the thought of ice shoved high against my exit from the lake was my newest concern. Alas my fears were quashed and my exit from the lake was uneventful.

Not far from the launch a fellow fisherman was literally spinning his rear wheels on the ice going nowhere. His four wheel drive would not engage. I towed his ATV and sled to shore feeling bad that his day ended before it even began. I did catch some fish and will be out again soon, hopefully experiencing quieter nights, and maybe even some camaraderie.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

As a kid (teens/20’s), we pulled a pop up camper out with us. Often was two or three of us that would stay out. Down fall with the pop up was the frost inside the camper. Once it warmed up, it would start to rain in there. However, having coffee perking while out on the ice was always better than Kwik Trip

castle-rock-clown

Just some pictures while out on the ice.

Attachments:
    1. IMG_20150102_165741077.jpg

2. IMG_20150102_094950870.jpg

reverend
    Rhinelander, WI

I’m with your Castle-not THAT new to ice fishing, but have taken it up in a lot bigger way since moving here. It’s just so darn much fun, and it’s gorgeous out here on some of the lakes I fish. Spending the night out on the ice actually sounds pretty fun…though I have to admit if I was doing it out of a rig like yours I’m afraid I’d get in trouble with F/W when I didn’t show up at home till three days later! That’s a sweet rig!
    P.S. Your clear ice makes me jealous-getting deeper and slushy around here.

Nate Northup
    Madison, WI area

CRC – that’s a dang nice unit you’ve got there! Know what you mean about the pucker factor when the ice is really singin! I’ve always wanted to try staying out on the lake. My uncle built a unit very similar to yours but I never got to try it out. How’re the eyes down on Castle Rock this year? I’ve always wanted to go down that way. Also, how much did those treads set you back on your atv? Prefer the treads over wheels? Do you use the treads in the spring/summer/fall or switch to wheels?

deertracker

As a kid we would spend every weekend plus the week between Christmas and New Years on the ice in our house on Mille Lacs. I love the sound the ice makes at night. There was one time we woke up and our house shifted so much that our holes were moved 6 inches. Man I miss being on the pond in the winter.
    DT

castle-rock-clown

CRC – that’s a dang nice unit you’ve got there! Know what you mean about the pucker factor when the ice is really singin! I’ve always wanted to try staying out on the lake. My uncle built a unit very similar to yours but I never got to try it out. How’re the eyes down on Castle Rock this year? I’ve always wanted to go down that way. Also, how much did those treads set you back on your atv? Prefer the treads over wheels? Do you use the treads in the spring/summer/fall or switch to wheels?

Not cheap, but after getting stuck twice last year and having to dig out…with a heart condition, it’s a smart investment. I actually prefer wheels and will only use these in winter. I was testing their performance for the first time on glare ice and working my way up from there. The trailer is pretty common in Minnesota, but much more rare in Wisconsin. Since our ice in WI is not as reliable and not as long lived as MN ice I would not have laid out the dough were it only for ice fishing. For me this trailer is a cargo, toy hauler, ATV garage, hunting camper, and apocalyptic survival rig. The salesman told me it’s rated to withstand nuclear winter…that’s what really sold me. I watch the ice during the day and see where others are getting the most action, and then when they pick up and leave for the night I move onto their spot, boy do I make the friends the following morning, heh, heh.

tegg
    Hudson, Wi/Aitkin Co

Back in the college days I did a handful of ski in winter camping trips to the BWCA for some lake trout fishing (Rose Lake, South Lake, Tuscarora…). Totally different animal though. We certainly didn’t have any $$$ so it was common to make or rig up your own gear. Seems to me you spent a lot of time making shelters, making food and tending the fire. Go figure…. Talk about solitude. Nothing compares.

IceAsylum
    Wisconsin Dells WI

Camaraderie. Maybe Joe will come snuggle with you and keep the boogie man at bay. Nice unit clown sorry I didn’t get much time to stop.

belletaine
    Nevis, MN

Back in the eighties I had a 8X8 suitcase style shack I used to stay overnight in on a regular basis. I really miss it, some beautiful days out there. I’d bbq on a smokey joe, wake up to rattle reels.
    I used a duel sunflower heater and in hindsight am very glad I never had co2 issues.
    Equipment has drasticly changed in the last thirty years.

youngfry
    Northeast Iowa

Just stayed out on New Years day in a double hub shack. Walleyes didn’t let us sleep much though. We had a similar experience with the ice booming all night long… got used to it now though. I love how quiet it is out there under the dark skies and the coyotes howling not far away.

I also used some of the night tactics seen in the Leech Lake IDO episode. I used to jig the same night or day but tried scaling back the jigging this time after dark. I really noticed the difference. The eyes would almost always bite but it was a slow coaxing rather than quickly pulling it up away from them.

castle-rock-clown

Camaraderie. Maybe Joe will come snuggle with you and keep the boogie man at bay. Nice unit clown sorry I didn’t get much time to stop.

Hey, don’t get jealous of Joe and me and our newfound bromance, there’s enough of me to go around.

joe_the_fisher
    Wisconsin Dells WI

Camaraderie. Maybe Joe will come snuggle with you and keep the boogie man at bay.
    Hey now…I think that would be a blast to stay out on the ice…maybe I will change my mind once the thunder and lighting strikes start up tho…LOL, I imagine it gets quit loud out there!! Let me know next time your up Clown.

Nate Northup
    Madison, WI area

Back in the eighties I had a 8X8 suitcase style shack I used to stay overnight in on a regular basis. I really miss it, some beautiful days out there. I’d bbq on a smokey joe, wake up to rattle reels.
    I used a duel sunflower heater and in hindsight am very glad I never had co2 issues.
    Equipment has drasticly changed in the last thirty years.

You know, one of the fondest memories of fishing with my Grandpa (and I have hundreds) was in one of those little suitcase shacks on skis, fishing Fox Lake well into the night with my dad grandpa and brother all shouldered up around a single sunflower, our faces dimly lit by the orange glow…telling (me listening) to old stories of times long past…only to be interrupted by the red flags of BD tipups in the spotlight that we’d shine out of the shack every few minutes.

One of those memories that gets burned in your mind, ya know. Still have that old shack. Gave it an overhaul last year – patched up the mice holes, greased the runners, threw on some CC skis, and gave it some new life. It’s still a beast to drag out, but I still do every now and then just out of nostalgia. Love that old shanty.

Attachments:
    1. DSC03549.jpg

belletaine
    Nevis, MN

Nate, those shacks were/ere awesome! I sold an old 5X8 last year for $50 and kinda regret it.
    My 8X8 had carpet in it (removable) It was pretty fancy back in the day. We’d play cribbage and have cocktails. I stayed in it for 4 days and three nights by myself once, it was a lot of fun!
    Canvas Craft still makes them.

Nate Northup
    Madison, WI area

haha I was actually looking at a new canvascraft last year! But, I didn’t want to spend the $$ so I tried to make do with this older one of my grandpa’s. The lady and I picked up a Jason Mitchell Thermal 5000 that is super nice, but when it’s just me, I love (most of the time) to drag this old beast out. I gotta try staying out overnight sometime this winter )

Tonka
    Minnesota

That was a good read and conversation fellas, thanks for sharing.

castle-rock-clown

Before the firebrand this was my chateau.

Attachments:
    1. IMG_20140117_192922246.jpg

2. IMG_20140117_123007230.jpg

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.