ice bibs or TUCR

• henry loew

Cant decide if I should get ice armor bibs or the TUCR bullwhip.

lrott2003
    Wisconsin

I have both. The bibs are really sweet and the bullwhip is kind of my go to all around rod for panfish. If you fish outside a bunch then I would say bibs first but you might be able to find a pair of used bibs if you look hard enough then you may be able to get both. I can say that I bought the bibs at the ice show in MN and I waited until the last day and was able I think to negotiate a pretty good deal I want to say like $180 and that is no tax. I think at the ice show TUCR does a show special not sure if they still do or not.

If you have any friends that you can put together a group for the ice show you might be able to get even a better price.

Josh Hedstrom

Thats a tough one. I don’t have a bullwhip but do have some custom rods and they are great. But after going from Carhartt bibs to Striker bibs is a night and day difference. I dont know what I did without those bibs. They are great and would suggest looking into Striker. Like mentioned above, if you go to the St Paul Ice Expo you should be able to find some good deals as well.

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

I have 4 pairs of bibs and O tucr. I guess my vote is staying warm

Jamin
    Hudson, WI

Warm and dry so you can stay out on the ice. While the BW is a great rod, it won’t do you any good if you’re not out on the ice.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

If financially you can only afford one or the other, I’d say you can’t afford either…and you’d be better off buying cheaper options of both. Gamehide makes a good insulated bibs that you can get for cheap at Fleet or similar stores, and I have a few Fenwick ice rods that have done very well by me and I got them for $30-40.

Tuma
    Inactive
    Farmington, MN

Staying warm is more important than rod.

JoeMX1825
    MN

Dick’s Sporting Goods does a yearly black friday 25% off sale, so you can get the bibs for $150

Mark Spesard

Stay comfortable and get the bibs. Ice bibs make a heck of a difference. Make the cheap rod work for you until you get money for a custom rod in the future. Cheap ones catch fish too

Ryan Wilson

Considering that I own 3 TUCR’s and have needed new bibs for the last 4 seasons, I’d say get the TUCR lol. For what it’s worth I own a Bullwhip and 2 Precision Noodles.

Seriously though (and I mean seriously), get the bibs dude. If you’re cold you won’t enjoy the TUCR as much, or ice fishing in general no matter what rod you’re using. If you’re warm, at least you could wish you had a “better” rod. Also, if you do get the Bullwhip and you plan to order direct from TUCR, expect your rod to be delivered closer to January. I order my 2nd PN on September 8th and I didn’t receive it until October 13th. Now that it’s getting closer to ice season, the wait time will only get longer and online shops don’t carry stock for very long before it’s sold out.

P.S. you’ll love that Bullwhip whenever you’re able get your hands on one. I know I’m not making the decision any easier but I’d go for the bibs.

Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

I have 4 pairs of bibs and O tucr. I guess my vote is staying warm

Well I know most of us all have many fishing rods or ice fishing rods for all kinds of reasons, but I’m curious what one would need 4 sets of bibs for? Is there different ones that you would wear depending on the species you are targeting? Just poking a little fun Andy…but I am kinda curious.
    As far as the majority of responses here about choosing the bibs to stay warm makes good sense in itself, but am I the only one that if not in a hard house has at least some style of portable with a heater running?

Morel King
    PLAINVIEW MN

If it was me I’d get the rod first i already have so many winter clothes don’t need the ice suit

kabefisherman11

Bibs. Being cold sucks and they’ll keep u warm.

bullcans
    Northfield MN

Stay comfortable and get the bibs. Ice bibs make a heck of a difference. Make the cheap rod work for you until you get money for a custom rod in the future. Cheap ones catch fish too

X2

targaman
    Inactive
    Wilton, WI

Everybody knows you wear different bib colors for different species of fish. Where have you been?

SW Eyes

Bibs, no question. Fishing isn’t as much fun when you’re not comfortable. Not just staying warm when fishing outside, but I find my strikers to be much more comfortable to sit in than a pair of carharts, or what have you. Plus the storage, waterproof knee pads, etc.

TUCRs, or any other high-end rod, are a luxury. Definitely nice to have. But, if you know how to pattern fish well enough, you could tie some mono to a lead pipe and be successful.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

I love my TUCRs but if I didn’t have my Striker bibs I wouldn’t be using my rods very much. There is no substitute for being warm and dry on the ice.

travis mccolley

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Mark Spesard wrote:</div>

X2

X3

mnrabbit
    South Central Minnesota

Bibs this year, TUCR next year. The Striker Ice Bibs are wonderful, I got them last year. Just got my Bullwhip this week.

On a side note, I ordered my Bullwhip from Scheels on Monday and received it on Tuesday, free shipping. Scheels had the exact one I was looking for, other than I maybe would have customized the colors of it if I went directly through TUCR- but not worth the wait to me and risk missing the first month or so of the season. Also helped I had accumulated a large amount of Scheels gift cards…

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

but I’m curious what one would need 4 sets of bibs for?

Striker ice lite -backup for guests who don’t have winter gear… In tough shape.

AA – got them cheap wore twice – backup for guests who don’t have winter gear. I don’t like them

Striker climate – after years of use no longer water proof- backup for guests

Striker climate – primarily wear, now two seasons old will probably buy another pair next year.

tswoboda

Striker climate – after years of use no longer water proof- backup for guests

Have you looked into restoring the DWR? It’s simple, wash-dry-spray… cost is like $20 for the right products from Grangers, Nikwax, and many others. I use Grangers for all my rain/ice wear, and after washing and treating the garment’s DWR is like new again.

Dan Baker

IF you’re uncomfortable on the ice, you won’t stay on the ice. What do you wear to fish in now?

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

Have you looked into restoring the DWR? It’s simple, wash-dry-spray… cost is like $20 for the right products from Grangers, Nikwax, and many others. I use Grangers for all my rain/ice wear, and after washing and treating the garment’s DWR is like new again.

Haven’t given that a go. Maybe I should. Mine get significant use in a season, I’ll venture to say I’m in bibs 100 to 150 outings a year.

How many times would I need to recoat in a single season?

Sturgeon and flathead slime are pretty effective waterproofing too… Lol

Mark Spesard

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>tswoboda wrote:</div>

Haven’t given that a go. Maybe I should. Mine get significant use in a season, I’ll venture to say I’m in bibs 100 to 150 outings a year.

How many times would I need to recoat in a single season?

Sturgeon and flathead slime are pretty effective waterproofing too… Lol

Sometimes the DWR can be reactivated simply by putting it in the dryer. A lot of that stuff is heat activated believe it or not. I’m sure a refresh coating would help though. As far as how many time to put on per season, you’ll have to try it and see. Still a heck of a lot cheaper than new bibs

Jason Guthmiller

Have you looked into the Eskimo bibs with the surefloat? I haven’t looked at them anywhere but if they are legit you might be able to swing both.

Tyler Warner

I just got a Bullwhip and it’s real Nice! Can’t wait for ice! Already have Rapala bibs but I’m trying to get at least a pair of floater bibs and a jacket as well if I can swing it.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.