ice auger needed/wanted

• onestout
    Hudson, WI

My dad was fishing yesterday and his auger bit finally gave up on life and broke, it is 15-20 years old. He got his backup gas auger out but it is too heavy for him at his age anymore after working a manual job all his life and the joint surgery’s that go with it. I was looking for something to replace it with but as expected everything that I can find is sold out. He is looking for a 5-6″ auger, either one that can go in his drill or a 24v strikemaster. If anyone has a lead on one let me know. He is going to see if a shop can weld his on Monday but he wants a spare even if that works, the gas backup is not an option anymore. Thanks for any leads.

mxskeeter
    SW Wisconsin

Have you checked Craigslist for a hand auger and convert it to a drill set up? Usually several on there. Just an idea.

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

There are plenty of ions to be had but they are still spendy. You wont find a strikemaster til next fall would be my guess.

When I was in a pinch a couple winters ago I bought a cheap 6” mora and the adapter for my drill. It lasted for a few trips until I bought the k drill. If he has a decent drill that’s an option….especially with only a month or so of ice fishing left.

Jimmy Dropps

Sportsmans warehouse in Coon Rapids had about a half dozen or more of the 6in pistol bits last night while I was there. Also had half dozen jiffy propane augers as well both 8in and 10in and three Eskimo P1 rockets 8in

monticatgeek
    Monticello, MN

A good light weight set up is a 6 inch k drill paired with a Dewalt 996. the two together are around 9 to 10 pounds. this is what I run during early ice when I walk out. once I can drive my four wheeler I switch to the 7.5 inch k drill instead. the 1.5 inch difference only adds on about one pound to the overall weight. If you put a 6 inch k drill on a Clam plate you would be at around 14 lbs.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.