Ice Armor Gloves

• mnrabbit
    South Central Minnesota

I hate to bash a brand, but I am just going to give a heads up here. Fleet Farm, Scheels, Gander Mountain all seem to be selling Ice Armor gloves as their “go-to” ice fishing glove. They all have them sitting out in a place highlighting the gloves in their store it seems like, and it’s what all of them recommend as a top of the line glove. Over the past 2 winters I have tried the Ice Armour Extreme and Ice Armour Ultra gloves.

Last season, I went through 4 pairs of the Extreme’s, and they all ripped. This year I switched over to the Ultra and have gone through 2 pairs, they both ripped. One of them in 10 minutes of shoveling the driveway, and the other in just a few hours of outdoor wear. Luckily, Ice Armor has a 5 year warranty that they seem to stand by, and they’ve let me exchange all of the gloves when they rip. This past weekend I finally decided to switch to a different brand, something made for snowmobiling.

Just want to give a heads up on here, because it seems everytime I’m shopping around ice fishing areas, I see employees helping customers pick out a pair of these gloves.

brad-o
    Mankato

I am going on 4 hard years on snosuit/frabill they are still perfect.

Fluffchucker
    NW Wisconsin

I’ve got a pair of ice armor gloves and I couldn’t even tell you how old they are. But they’ve been used and abused for sure and are still going strong.

Maybe I scored a fluke of a pair, but I really have no complaints with them at all.

At least they stand behind their warranty.

Boss Hawg
    Inactive
    Brainerd Lakes Area

I wouldn’t call Ice Armor gloves “go to” or even real good gloves but for the price mine are on about 3-4 years now and still fine also.

bigstorm
    Southern WI

Mine are at least 4 seasons old with no issues to date

patk
    Nisswa, MN

That’s not bashing when you back it up with quantifiable facts.

I have to agree with you on the quality for their gloves/mittens. Buddy had to use the warranty after very little use. I’ve got mittens that I wear one or maybe two days a year. The wear and tear from nominal use is definitely more than it should be. On the durability scale they don’t get a high ranking from me

That said, for what I paid it’s been worth it. They’ve saved my butt a couple times. I wear a thin glove on the inside and have warm hands tested to -20’s.

mnrabbit
    South Central Minnesota

Glad they are working out for you guys! Maybe my hands just fit into gloves odd or something, because all of the rips have been around the sewing for the thumbs. I try to find value in most of my purchases, and for me, I want a $55 pair of gloves to last a long long time, which is why I posted the heads up here.

tmyboy2001
    Lakeville, MN

Same issues here. Two years ago I picked up a pair at Gander Mountain, unfortunately steered to them by a sales associate. This past weekend I finally chucked them in the garbage. They were ripping apart and holding water and moisture in the worst way. I couldn’t even set up my shelter and touch snow without them getting soaked and absorbing the moisture. Truthfully, I could’be thrown them away last year. I’ll be heading to Thorne Bros. tonight to pick up some Striker gloves.

rjthehunter
    Brainerd

Same issues here. Two years ago I picked up a pair at Gander Mountain, unfortunately, steered to them by a sales associate. This past weekend I finally chucked them in the garbage. They were ripping apart and holding water and moisture in the worst way. I couldn’t even set up my shelter and touch snow without them getting soaked and absorbing the moisture. Truthfully, I could’be thrown them away last year. I’ll be heading to Thorne Bros. tonight to pick up some Striker gloves.

I’m at that point right now, still waterproof but fraying everywhere and the thumb had a blowout. Gonna try to find the receipt because they have a 5-year warranty so we’ll see how that goes… I talked to a customer support guy and he says we HAVE to have the receipt to exchange them. Gonna try it.

mnrabbit
    South Central Minnesota

I’m at that point right now, still waterproof but fraying everywhere and the thumb had a blowout. Gonna try to find the receipt because they have a 5-year warranty so we’ll see how that goes… I talked to a customer support guy and he says we HAVE to have the receipt to exchange them. Gonna try it.

Try some different stores. Gander would not allow me to return them without a receipt, Scheels did allow me to, multiple times.

Andy Fiolka
    Boise, Idaho

I just found a needle in a haystack at a local sporting goods store, original Snosuit mittens. These things are awesome. My last pair was on year three and still in excellent shape – but, I lost them on the ice over the weekend. Was bumming because they don’t make them anymore. Went to see what the next best option was and to my surprise, there was one last pair hanging there. All is well in my world -)

Attachments:
    1. image7.jpg

rjthehunter
    Brainerd

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>rjthehunter wrote:</div>

Try some different stores. Gander would not allow me to return them without a receipt, Scheels did allow me to, multiple times.

I bought them from Mills, I was told to contact Ice armor directly…

mnrabbit
    South Central Minnesota

Try just going straight to a store that sells them. In the 6 I returned, I never contacted Ice Armor and only had a receipt a couple times.

rjthehunter
    Brainerd

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>rjthehunter wrote:</div>

Try just going straight to a store that sells them. In the 6 I returned, I never contacted Ice Armor and only had a receipt a couple times.

I’ll goto mills, they take everything back

troutbum
    St. Paul

Last season, I went through 4 pairs of the Extreme’s, and they all ripped.

Do you walk on your hands?!

reverend
    Rhinelander, WI

I just bought a new pair to replace my 5-yr old pair. They were still servicable, but I have a bad habit of nicking my gloves and boots on sharp things like auger blades and their ability to repel water was gone. I can’t say the first pair was as awesome as some of the other higher end gloves, but only because I’ve never tried them. Overall though, I was satisfied with the gloves. They kept my hands warm and dry, which was the point. The new ones I’ve only used a few times now, but I hope they last as well as the old ones.
    Take ’em back where you got ’em, and see if they’ll make it right.

dld24

X3 on the Frabill gloves, I have the snosuit mittens and fxe task glove, by far the best gloves I’ve used…Had ice armour gloves before and returned them, their waterproofing is nothing compared to Frabill

Trevor Ellingson
    Long Lake, MN

I went through 2 pairs of Ice Armour’s last year before switching to a pair of Striker’s. Have been super happy with them ever since. I did pick up a pair of the Dry Skinz gloves this season and have been very impressed with how they’ve handled fishing, plowing/shoveling snow, and general use (driving, scraping the wind shield etc..) The strikers are a lot warmer obviously, but they’re bulkier for that reason.

rjthehunter
    Brainerd

I went through 2 pairs of Ice Armour’s last year before switching to a pair of Striker’s. Have been super happy with them ever since. I did pick up a pair of the Dry Skinz gloves this season and have been very impressed with how they’ve handled fishing, plowing/shoveling snow, and general use (driving, scraping the wind shield etc..) The strikers are a lot warmer obviously, but they’re bulkier for that reason.

I might have to get a pair of these, how are they holding up? Pretty tough? Is there a warranty on them?

milemark_714

I just found a needle in a haystack at a local sporting goods store, original Snosuit mittens. These things are awesome. My last pair was on year three and still in excellent shape – but, I lost them on the ice over the weekend. Was bumming because they don’t make them anymore. Went to see what the next best option was and to my surprise, there was one last pair hanging there. All is well in my world -)

I would now go out and buy a Powerball ticket-lol.And that being pre-Frabill ones.

The ice armor gloves leave something to be desired,but the mitts are nice.Mine split between the thumb and forefinger.FF had no problem exchanging them for mitts.

Crappy Fisherman

I have a pair of the original Sno Suit choppers. Must be over 5 years old. Best mittens I’ve ever had.

Alex W
    Bangor, WI

I have a pair of some sort of Ice Armor gloves that I got a year or so ago and have no complaints, I use them for extreme cold ice fishing and they have worked great and also I used them late season duck hunting with no complaints. Still look new. (They do not smell new though between fish and mud…)

85lund
    Menomonie, WI

Dakine gloves for me. Just replaced a pair i have been using hard since 1999. They are still in good shape. Just demoted the to the snow removal pair )

Fife
    Ramsey, MN

I lost a pair of Cabela’s Pinnacle Primalofts last season. This year the price on them jumped to $99.99, so I decided to give the Ultras a try. They started to fray after 2 uses. I returned them and found the Pinnacles on sale for $49.99. Best gloves I have ever owned especially at that price.

404 ERROR
    MN

I have gone through a few pairs of Ice Armor gloves in the last few years. I always end up using my Reima Thermo gloves until I buy a new pair of. The Reima gloves, which I do not believe are made anymore, are for snowmobiling. They have outperformed any Snosuit and Ice Armor gloves I have bought over the years, I don’t know why I bothered to use anything else. FWIW, the old snowsuit gloves were the bee’s knees until I also lost mine, just like Andy…

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.