Varmageddon starts tomorrow! Daily updates here.

• johnee

V-Day has almost arrived! We leave for the great wide open spaces of the west tomorrow for my annual prairie dog hunting trip.

As prairie dogs go, I don’t have especially high volume areas available to me. My multi-year average is almost exactly 150 rounds per day and generally I’m supplying whoever is going with me, so over the past few years it’s been 300 rounds per day expended. Relatively speaking, that’s not a lot, but with the ammo and component shortages we’ve faced over the past few years, just putting together 1000-1200 rounds of heavy varmint ammo has been challenging enough.

We’re taking a variety of rifles, but to keep it simple I’ve bought another .22-250 this year and I’m leaving the .243 home. Here’s what I have:

.223 Savage Axis with Boyds thumbhole stock and aftermarket trigger.

.22-250 Tikka – A fantastic rifle, but sadly probably near the end of its usable life. I have fired over 3000 rounds from this rifle, so this probably will be the second to the last trip before this one goes in for a barrel overhaul or gets traded off.

.22-250 Savage Axis – Brand new and with only about 100 test rounds fired. Like the other Axis, it benefitted greatly from an aftermarket trigger. Accuracy is fantastic considering the price and I won’t feel guilty when this one goes the way of the Tikka. The sad fact is that varmint hunting means short lifespans for barrels and there’s no way around that. If you send a lot of high velocity pills down the barrel, it’s going to wear out quickly. I’m very pleased to have found the Axis with the very modest price tag and excellent overall accuracy.

.223 T/C Contender pistol. Just a hoot to shoot under the right conditions. Super 14 barrel, 12X Burris. It’s just great fun on a calm morning.

I also take a .22 rimfire, but it hasn’t been fired in anger for years. Very rarely do I get within rimfire range of the poodles.

We leave tomorrow (Wednesday) and the fun starts at 8:00 AM the next day when we pick up our trusty guide.

Tomorrow, I’ll introduce the cast of characters and some other thoughts with a post from the road. I’m very excited to be heading west again.

Grouse

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

Thanks……now I’m sitting here jealous as all hell.
    Have a safe trip. Can almost hear the bullets zinging now

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

Have fun. I’m out here too. For work….

hooknfinger
    Rochester, Minnesota

This is definitely a bucket list hunt for me. I just dont have the time right now.

Ive got some 300 rum hand loads pushing 240 gr that would be fun

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

Quote:

Ive got some 300 rum hand loads pushing 240 gr that would be fun

This crazy guy cracked off about a 100 factory loads of them for the brass. remnants included a drop of blood, a leg, and something we couldn’t recognize

stillakid2
    Roberts, WI

Have a great time Grouse! Lord knows I did! Also glad to hear that your Axis 22-250 is shooting good for you! Mine, as stated before….. again and again, hasn’t been quite up to par with my .223 but it has gotten to point of being the best it’s ever been. Can’t wait to hear the updates as they come in!

johnee

Well, we are safe in the mote in western SD after an all day drive. Unfortunately, its raining. Hopefully we won’t get too much tonight.

As a side benefit we stopped by a sporting goods store in Mitchell. And what should my eyes see on the shelves? Could it be? Yes!!! Varget powder! !! The first I’ve seen in 2 years. I was a good boy and only bought 5 pounds–not even enough to replace what we’ll shoot on this trip. Still a great find.

So the fun starts tomorrow. Stay tuned.

sticker
    StillwaterMN/Ottertail county

It’s 7am and I am waiting for the first photos

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

Quote:

It’s 7am and I am waiting for the first photos

You must must be almost as bad as me…. Looking forward to some fresh kill shots. I’ll be back out in Co/WY in July…can’t wait

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

We have had thunderstorms rolling through most of the day here in central SD. Temps have dropped dramatically. Seems less than ideal for p-dog hunting. The 20-30mph NE wind puts the shooting into a not fun category.

I did get to let the 250 bark on a varmint last night. Man do I love that gun.

johnee

Ok, time to get caught up on reports.

Yesterday was awesome. Bright sunny day and low winds. For the first time in many years we got some .22 rimfire action in the first town. They were in a stock enclosure area and obviously hadn’t been shot at much.
    Next we moved to a town right by the highway. I was not keen at first as my experience with towns in plain sight is that they get pounded even if they are on private land.

Well boys and girls here’s a lesson in today’s prairie dog hunting. Fortune smiles on the mobile hunter. Carrying only a Caldwell tripod and a folding Turkey chair, we were able to move down into the town and then we rested a rise to fin another town on the far side that even the guide didn’t know about. We had to quit only because we shot the 200 rounds we were carrying!

Our guide told us at lunch that we were shooting less than his average hunters, but hitting far more because we weren’t confining ourselves to large benches that are hard to move.

Later we moved to a town that was at the bottom of a large bowl. Shooting down from above, we just wrecked dog after dog. I went on a 5 for 6 run right off the bat with the 223 Axis. I flipped them. I ripped them. It was awesome.

Update on today’s hunt later.

Grouse

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

Quote:

I went on a 5 for 6 run right off the bat with the 223 Axis. I flipped them. I ripped them. It was awesome.

Update on today’s hunt later.

Grouse

I have 23 more days to wait and I am hyped

johnee

Ok, and now to catch you up on Day 2, which was Friday.

Wind and weather entered the equation today, as they often do out west. We had a beautiful morning with a steady 10 MPH wind.

We were shooting a dog town that runs in a horseshoe shape down one side of a long finger-like ridge, around the end, and then back up the other side.

The town had obviously been shot before, but again our mobile approach was working well. We would shoot until no dogs were up within 400 yards, then move so the average shot was more like 300, then work the dogs until they were all down, and then repeat the process.

I can really see how the advent of these shooting benches has made guys less mobile and therefore the dogs have become used to being “safe” outside of a certain range. It changes everything when you can get up and move inside of that range rather than blazing at them at ever-increasing distances.

It was challenging enough in a steady 10 mph wind. By late morning, we were using .22-250s exclusively as we bucked the wind.

As an interesting aside, the guide had warned us to keep our eyes down when walking in this area as there were rattlesnakes. He wasn’t kidding. We had just set up the tripod and I looked beside us and there coiled up in the shade of a milk weed plant was a 3 footer! Yikes. He was quickly dispatched with a .223 round, but a good reminder that the guide wasn’t joking. I have now seen a rattle snake on every trip I’ve been on for the past 3 years and every one has been at close range.

Unfortunately, at lunch the black clouds appeared on the horizon. By 1:30, it was evident we were going to get wet it was going to be sooner rather than later.

We had just pulled up stakes and started back toward the ridge, over which was parked the truck, and over the top comes the guide with the truck. He had seen the lightening and thought it best to come get us least we were foolish enough to keep shooting until the storm was on top of us.

We drove out to the main road, not wishing to wait and watch the two-track road turn to gumbo. And within a few minutes it was obvious it was game over for the day. The rain POUNDED down. Then it blew. Then it rained harder. And so forth.

Not only was there no chance of shooting more that day, but the next day was obviously in jeopardy as well. The forecast was for a cold front to come through with low clouds and highs in the upper 40s.

And that’s exactly what we got on Day 3 (Saturday). 42 degrees and low clouds. Certainly NOT the weather that’s going to make the prairie dogs stand up and get shot at. To make a bad situation worse, rain was on the radar and headed our way. After the 2.5 inches we had the previous day, we knew it was all over. You can’t drive around the boonies in GumboLand after that much rain. Not going to happen.

So we headed home at 7:00 AM yesterday. That’s the way the game is played, you can pick your guide, time of year, etc, but you can’t pick your weather.

A few other notes that I think are worth passing on to anyone out there thinking of heading west to harass the varmints.

– This shooting is tough on rifles. Again this year, I had multiple gear failures. My .223 Axis magazine broke the retaining clip off the back of the magazine. It’s spring steel and it just snapped off. So I was shooting a single shot Savage Axis for the rest of the day. Luckily, a gun shop in the town we were staying in was a)open late, and b)happened to have one. So problem solved.

– Possibly related to the magazine problem was my Boyd’s thumb-hole stock. The laminate wood around the retainer where that steel clip latches has torn away. I only noticed it last night when I got home, but failure was imminent such that I wouldn’t be able to keep the magazine in place.

Both of these issues brought home to me the importance of bringing multiple rifles and preferrably in the same caliber so if a gun goes down for the count, you can swap and you can feed the backup gun the ration intended for the original.

There you have it. I just handed everyone an excuse to buy more guns. I’m here to help.

– In conversations with our guide, he noted that his shooting parties had been PLAGUED by AR failures the last two years. Since many hunters have now switched to AR platforms, it has become evident to him that many ARs are breakdown prone and often the owners did not thoroughly test the ARs before bringing them out to hunt.

The most common problems were magazines that caused jams and discovering that the AR did not function well with newly bought bulk ammo picked up just before the trip. Add to that the fact that 3 of his hunters this year already have had catastrophic action failures of various types that damaged the ARs badly and certainly beyond field repair.

AR users, it sounds like if you plan to shoot it at all, you better have it thoroughly tested WITh the exact mags and ammo you intend to shoot while hunting. You should also have a backup rifle.

I’ll post some pictures as soon as I get them downloaded.

Grouse

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

There you have it. I just handed everyone an excuse to buy more guns. I’m here to help.

That includes help on paying for it too Regardless of weather, sound like you had fun and that is what counts!

johnee

Quote:

That includes help on paying for it too

No, you’re on your own there, Randy. That’s the deal, I provide the excuse, you provide the money.

Grouse

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Now, see, that is not fair. I can come up with plenty of excuses. It’s the funding that eludes me!

johnee

Ralph, I’m with you as far as the funding always being an issue.

Varmint shooting is terrific fun, but it isn’t exactly cheap. Most people ask about the cost of ammo, but to be honest ammo is way down the list as far as expenses on these little safaris.

1. Hotel, meals, drinks, etc – About $700.
    2. Guide – $500
    3. Gas – $400
    4. License – $100
    5. Ammo – Roughly $75-100 per day for 2 shooters. Does not include the time it takes to reload or the cost of reloading equipment and cartridge cases, which eventually wear out.

So it’s not hard to run up a $2k tab on one of these little expeditions. All to shoot a few overgrown rodents.

Grouse

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

Grouse, thanks for the slap of reality. Well, back to work for me….

johnee

In case anyone’s interested, I counted the ammo expended for 1 and 1/2 days on this hunt.

329 total centerfire rounds shot (.223, 22-250).

I did NOT count rimfire rounds, but as we shot with a rimfire for several hours on the opening morning, I suspect we shot nearly 100 rounds.

If we extrapolate a little, that would bring the “per day” average to a figure that’s very close to my longer term average of 150 rounds per shooter per day.

As a note, we take turns spotting, so only one shooter is firing at once for this average. What the guide has told me is that this approach is more efficient in the long run because a shooter who is doing his own spotting is very inefficient. Having a spotter constantly moving the shooter onto a new target as soon as one can be found means significantly more shots, especially when the dogs are spooky and become harder to see.

Grouse

stillakid2
    Roberts, WI

Thanks for the updates Grouse! Now that I’m back from vacation to read them, they sure took me back to my own adventure out there and I sure can’t wait to go again! I didn’t get to match the amount of shooting you did but I didn’t have a guide either.

Which brings me to this. You get what you pay for.

Compared to anything else I hunt, the action and opportunity was far beyond anything else I participate in so I wasn’t disappointed but for the seasoned “poodler”, things were slow and they seemed disappointed.

The guys I went with cannot afford $2k for a trip. As a measure to cut costs, we camped on the prairie. We also found that ranchers exist who really don’t want your money or to exterminate prairie dogs completely because so much other wildlife depend on that relationship for their own prosperity. These ranchers will often list themselves on a bulletin board of a local sport shop.

This does mean you have to be willing to do some leg work yourself but you’ll save a boat load of cash. This also means you have to accept certain risks, like snakes and weather because you’ll be FAR off the beaten path and miles and miles from even the nearest one horse town. Be as prepared as possible but a good time will certainly be had provided you use your head. After all, as Grouse so perfectly stated it, you’re in “Gumbo-land” and you need to respect that in every way.

Thanks Grouse for giving me an excuse to buy more guns! Not that I needed any but I always appreciate the support of my brethren hunters to help me along!

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.