My new .17 HMR

• kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

I went to Scheels in St. Cloud about 2 weekends ago to pick up some reloading supplies. As I was looking at the HMR’s I noticed the Savage 93 with a bull barrel. It’s been on my wish list for a while. The price was $229.00. That was as cheap as I’d seen them. Well, needless to say I walked out with it.

The intended use will be my “truck” gun. I plan to have it on my ATV, tractor whatever. It will be my beat around gun to shoot a lot and keep the varmints/predators in check as much as possible. Last weekend was my first chance to zero the rifle. I put a BSA Sweet 17 scope on it with a lighted reticle. For a cheaper scope, I think it will serve it’s purpose nicely. My zero isn’t sub 1″, but it’s close.

Since the roads were junk yesterday I decided to work from home. Well, wouldn’t you know it a camo skin kit I ordered came in. I wanted to compare it to the dipping process. There are definitely some positives over dipping. One of the biggest is the ease of installation. It’s quite simple to put on. The negative would be any areas that are rounded such as in the pistol grip area of a rifle or barrel end of the forearm. The last challenge was the overlap at the seams. Time will tell on durablity etc… For my purposes, I think it will work well. My guns are tools I use. I don’t expect them to be prestine and scratch free.

ragerunner
    Winona, MN

I also bought one last summer and really like the gun. In hindsight I wish I would have gotten the Accutrigger, but I was still shooting squirrels at 60 yds.

I do like what you did with the camo.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Shouldnt the groups be closer at 25 yds?

stillakid2
    Roberts, WI

Nice job Kooty! I have a 9317 as well and love it! I walked into a Dick’s and they had the BTVSS on clearance for $299! Are you kidding me? $419 anywhere else so I jumped. On one hand, I’d prefer the model you have because it carries better. Love the camo!!! Bottom line is the thing shoots really well so I’m pretty happy. How far were you shooting?

kooty
    Keymaster

I zeroed the rifle at 75 yards. I figure for the most part, this is a 150 yard rifle for my needs.

I ordered two 10 round mags from Savage for it. Well one of them along with the factory 5 both have issues. I called Savage, the lady said send them in. No questions asked.

mike_j
    Nashua Iowa

I got one too. BSEV. Love this gun i have a nikon monarch 4-16×42 on it and off a bench it is easily under half inch group at 100 yards ussually closer to quarter inch. you’ll love it.

stillakid2
    Roberts, WI

Sometimes the Savage rimfire clips leave a little to be desired. Sorry to hear of your inconvenience. I’ve been lucky with mine so far.

I have a lot less open turf than you do so mine is zeroed at only 50yds, knowing that’s really about the longest shot I’ll ever face. Wish I would’ve pictured my target like you did because I had a real tight group but I don’t remember what it was. I let my dad shoot it and he literally giggled!

kooty
    Keymaster

Very cool rifles boys!!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.