Voting

• mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

I wish they stocked them in Moore when I was a youngster and would hit that lake all summer long. I went back there to nostalgically fish over 10 years ago and much to my surprise, I started catching channels. That class would be mighty nice today if any survived, and more importantly, weren’t stunted.

Hunting4Walleyes
    MN

Don’t forget the city of Eagan. They stock several lakes with channel cats too. I have seen a few nice sized ones too.

dtro
    Inactive
    Jordan

Thanks for the reminder Brian.

I can tell you this right now. I know someone who will be out looking for the “adults” through the ice this winter. Even if the average is 2lbs it’s still better than catching most other options in the winter.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Quote:

I can tell you this right now. I know someone who will be out looking for the “adults” through the ice this winter. Even if the average is 2lbs it’s still better than catching most other options in the winter.

I know one pond where I saw one about that size washed up on shore this spring. the only time I tried catching one was a few weeks ago when I tossed out a crawler. I ended up with a bass and a bullhead. I wish I had cut sucker with me. With the water so low, I now know where there is a spring and it is about the only ‘fish magnet’ in this pond. There barely is any vegetation and not much else to concentrate the fish. I imagine that’s where most of the fish spend their time. I should try a cut sucker on the bottom before it freezes up to see if there is a population big enough to make it worth fishing.

Whiskerkev
    Madison

Once you have a good lake and the channels get to a certain size, That lake can do pretty well. Not many folks know how or have the gear to get after them so they tend to get big and too fatty to eat. Channel cats will keep the lake nice and clean and take care of anything rotting that otherwise could spread diseases. Just make sure you clean up your stuff or a lab will try to ruin your hunting day.

jakeh
    White Bear Twp

Quote:

Thanks for the reminder Brian.

That makes two of us.

aquajoe
    Minnetonka, MN.

Brian do you know where the hatcheries are for them and other fish and are these place’s you can go to and check it out?

dfresh
    Fridley, MN

I saw a kid pull a channel out of Moore in Fridley last summer (its the lake that Hwy 65 splits) that was between 5-10 lbs. I was driving past when I saw it so did not get a great look. Who knows what class that was from?

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Quote:

I saw a kid pull a channel out of Moore in Fridley last summer (its the lake that Hwy 65 splits) that was between 5-10 lbs. I was driving past when I saw it so did not get a great look. Who knows what class that was from?

Now my interest is piqued again. Ah, Moore Lake! As a kid I caught a black bullhead that was about 1.5#s. We used to catch a lot of panfish on the west side. Later when I was in my 20’s, I used to catch some decent bass. One morning I also had a walleye hit my spinnerbait about a foot of shore in a half a foot of water. Someone from the board here says he used to catch channels in the tunnel that goes under the highway. I have to hit it again…next year.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Quote:

Brian do you know where the hatcheries are for them and other fish and are these place’s you can go to and check it out?

Not right off hand Joe. I’m sure an email to the DNR would take care of that….and if you’re planning on going down there…give me a hollar!

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Good luck with that. They are real secretive with their rearing ponds. I can’t tell you how many I have been chased off. But I got to tell you, it has been well worth it, some of the best fishing I have ever had.

dfresh
    Fridley, MN

Quote:

Good luck with that. They are real secretive with their rearing ponds. I can’t tell you how many I have been chased off. But I got to tell you, it has been well worth it, some of the best fishing I have ever had.

You and your ‘secret spots’..

aquajoe
    Minnetonka, MN.

I don’t mean the rearing ponds. I would think there would be a hatchery first and then they go to a rearing pond. Or am I way off?

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Quote:

I don’t mean the rearing ponds. I would think there would be a hatchery first and then they go to a rearing pond. Or am I way off?

I believe you are right. To be honest I have no idea how they do it. I’d imagine they would have a hatchery in a building adjacent to a rearing pond, but that is pure speculation. It would be interesting to take a tour. I am surprised the DNR website doesn’t have more info.

And just so I don’t taint my good name, no I have never fished a rearing pond.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Thanks Joe!

Hey, if you talk to Linda, ask her how the bullhead length change law is coming…the squeaky wheel you know!

aquajoe
    Minnetonka, MN.

Maybe you could give her a free guided trip along with the Sheriff on the Croix for cats and Sturgeon.

Will do!

the_grump
    Le Center

Don’t forget to get an absentee ballot and vote before you head out of town for deer hunting

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

I voted last week!!

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

I’m normally a pretty hard core traditionalist when it comes to the national anthem, but this one has peaked my interest. Dare I say, I even dig it.

deertracker

I’ve had mine for 3 weeks. Better get it filled out an in.
    DT

papala

A 747 was halfway across the Atlantic when the captain got on the loud speaker, “Attention, passengers. We have lost one of our engines, but we can certainly reach London with the three we have left. Unfortunately, we will arrive an hour late as a r esult.” http://www.mmomesos.com

Shortly thereafter, the passengers heard the captain’s voice again, “Guess what, folks. We just lost our third engine, but please be assured we can fly with only one. We will now arrive in London three hours late.”

At this point, one passenger became furious. “For Pete’s sake,” he shouted, “If we lose another engine, we’ll be up here all night!” http://www.mmohome.com

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.