Youth hunt

• jason_ramthun
    Byron MN

Anyone have any idea if a youth hunter can shoot 2 deer in this hunt We are hunting a 2 deer area but I can’t get heads or tails out of this dang Regulation book.. He is 10 and they get a free tag but I can’t figure out if he can get the extra doe tag or not

Justin Laack
    Austin,mn

1 deer, no matter what area for youth hunt. I am taking my 15 yr old niece,managed area, and I told her to buy her tag and a bonus tag, incase she shoots a doe that way she can save her buck tag for regular gun season.

pg 29 from the law book:

The bag limit is one deer. In lottery areas, youth hunters must use their regular license. In managed or intensive areas, they may use their regular license or 1 bonus permit if they take an antlerless deer.
    • If the youth harvests a buck, the deer must be tagged with their regular license.
    • Participation in the youth season does not affect eligibility to participate in the regular deer season; however, the harvested deer counts against the annual bag limit for that area.

jason_ramthun
    Byron MN

Ok thanks , Next question is with him being 10 can he hunt the reg gun season also Or is that just for 12 and up youths

Justin Laack
    Austin,mn

Yes he can hunt the regular season aswell.

pg 30 of the rule book, check out under the license type and then the age of the child.

deertracker

He can hunt the regular season but if he fills his tag during the early season he is done.
    DT

jason_ramthun
    Byron MN

What about the extra tag they can get So if he gets a buck in the youth season he can’t fill the Doe tag in the Reg season But if he shoots a Doe and his either sex tag is open he can ??

Justin Laack
    Austin,mn

Yes he can still use it, I think Deertracker was getting at was if you were hunting a lottery area, and he tagged a buck in the youth season he would be done, but it would only be in lottery areas. But you stated in the original post that you are hunting in a managed area, so yes he can hunt both seasons, if he shoots a buck during the youth hunt, he only can shoot a doe during the regular season. If he shoots a doe during the youth season, put the bonus tag on it and he still can shoot either or for the regular season.

jason_ramthun
    Byron MN

Quote:

Yes he can still use it, I think Deertracker was getting at was if you were hunting a lottery area, and he tagged a buck in the youth season he would be done, but it would only be in lottery areas. But you stated in the original post that you are hunting in a managed area, so yes he can hunt both seasons, if he shoots a buck during the youth hunt, he only can shoot a doe during the regular season. If he shoots a doe during the youth season, put the bonus tag on it and he still can shoot either or for the regular season.

Got it Just talked to the DNR and you are correct
    Thanks men and good luck to all of you taking these kids out

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.