Trailer Advice

• kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

I’m looking to purchase a trailer to haul my wheeler. I want a 5×10. I’ve found two that are very similar at Northern Tool and Cabelas.

They are both 1600lb capacity with 13″ tires. Both have the same tailgate. They are also the same price. The only difference is the decking. One has 2×6 wood decking the other is a metal mesh.

I can see the mesh will eventually rust in this great state. However it’s also lighter and pretty easy to maneuver. Although I won’t be moving it often by hand. I’ll store the wheeler on it in the 3rd stall most of the time.

What would you buy? Why?

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Are these trailers aluminum or steel?
    I bought a steel trailer (large tires) to fit my first wheeler. I put wood sides on it and its a great utility trailer for hauling brush, dirt, etc. Now I own more than one wheeler and wish I had a 2 place. I am starting to think about looking around for a different one and I think I will be going aluminum if I can find one with sides so I can use for hauling stuff as well.

scottb.
    Southeast, MN

I would stay clear of the wire mesh in MN. I have a trailer that has the wheel wells almost completely rusted off and the rust started after only one winter. The boards still look great for the flooring but the wheel wells are shot. My guess is the bottom of that mesh will start to rust quickly if used a lot in the winter. Even when the boards go bad they can be replaced easily. I can move my trailer that is a bit bigger than the ones you are looking at pretty easily with 2X6 boards for flooring.

Just my .02!

kooty
    Keymaster

All steel. I can’t justify aluminum price right now.

These trailers all have a short metal side. I could extend with plywood etc…

jt_fish

I was in the same situation a year ago, looked at Menards and Lowes, almost pulled the trigger on a lowes trailer. Then I found Central Trailer Sales in East Bethel.
    I got a PJ trailer for the same price and it is easily twice the trailer.

Give them a call they will probably give you a quote over the phone. I could not find a place that would beat their pricing.

I would also stay away from the mesh floor. Wood is much more user friendly, have you ever kneeled on that stuff, ouch. Treated wood will probably outlast the mesh in MN.

kooty
    Keymaster

Cool, I’ll give them a call. I’m also leaning towards the wood for much of what has been mentioned.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

My trailer has wood floor. No prob. Mesh ramp on mine works well too.

wade
    Cottage Grove, MN

Suzuki — any pictures you have of your sides on the trailer? I have a 5×8 that I want to put some sides on but not sure how to go about it.

rubber
    river falls wi

I like the wood trailers alot better. the wood is alot stonger than the metal mesh so if you are ever testing the weight limit on the trailer you dont have to worry about the floor giving out witch happend to me once. it is cheep and easy to replace if you need to down the road. also rember that you dont know what you are going to hall with it untill you have it

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Quote:

Suzuki — any pictures you have of your sides on the trailer? I have a 5×8 that I want to put some sides on but not sure how to go about it.

Not handy. I keep it at the cabin. I used treated plywood and bolted to the insides. I put 2×4’s in the corners to connect them. I’m not carpenter and it isnt the prettiest but works perfectly. I even fashioned a wood tailgate but never use it because ramp gets the most use and its a pain taking it off.

wade
    Cottage Grove, MN

thanks I think I got a pretty good idea of what I want to do.

norseman
    FAIRMONT MN

I see most of ya don’t have much good to say about the mesh floor trailers. I have both. Each have their good qualities. I always use the mesh trailer in the winter because when it snows its easy to just broom the trailer-atv and the snow falls through the mesh and doesn’t build up into ice. As you drive your atv on its not near as slippery either. Even while trailering you atv doesn’t seem to slip and slide around as much either. As far as corrosion, I don’t see that much after 3 years. But I’m pretty picky about maintaining my stuff. When out mudding ect it’s soo easy to take the trailer with atv atatched to the carwash and rinse both off. The mud just washes
    through the screen too! Salt is the enemy on all trailers ,its not quite as visible with wood beds. Kinda outa sight outa mind thing.Just my 2 cents.

rgoi812
    Good hour from whitewater

Kooty: I owned the wood deck trailer you are looking at and it came from cabelas.First negtaive thing was the black paint is worthless and second,the ramp hinges need to be lubed all the time and twice on weekends or they will seize up and break off. With the leverage you have it is hard to notice they are sticking when using the ramp. One thing I found out is cabelas will beat the local competition if you show them what you can get it for at fleet farm or any other store such as I did.I love the trailer for hauling my wheeler. Good luck!

corey_waller
    hastings mn

buying a wood deck trailer over a mesh deck trailer should have nothing to do with corrosion they will all rust if you dont take care of them. I have both, they both have there place, and I take care of them equally well and will get years and years of use out of both of them. Im not very nice to them but I do take care of them. ie spraying them off when they need it and lubing them every season. I do like the drop down ramp on the mesh deck one alot

Steve Plantz
    SE MN

John I have the one from Northern Tool the 5×10 mesh gate, and wood floor. I bought it used and have had it for around 5 years not sure how old it was when I got it but it is still in pretty good shape. Like you are planning on I keep mine inside most of the time, it does have some rust but not bad. As you can see from the pics they also work great for hauling monster bucks as well, now all I need is a four wheeler.

JEEPMAN
    sd

Approx 6 years ago I purchased a 6x12ft I believe aluminum trailer for hauling my wheeler.

So glad I paid the extra as there is no wood to rot and no steel to rust.

I give it an acid bath every year and she still looks great.

Also very easy to move around by hand as it is so light.

Only issue I have had is with the steel pins that hold the two bi fold sections for the folding back ramp.

I now pull the bolts every season and clean them up with a wire brush and place some anti sieze on them and then it is like new for a season plus.

best money I ever spend for the aLL aluminum trailer plus I purchased the sides for it.

When I purchase this trailer, aluminun was cheaper than it is now so I might assume the price may be quite a bit higher.

I paid $1,300 for the trailer,sides,license and the spare.

Looking at both the taller ramp in the back and the bi fold, I would for sure go with the bi fold.

I have pulled both types many times to North Dakota and the wind drag and loss of mileage is much worse with the taller ramp versus the bi fold that does not stick up so high in the back.

One might think as I did that the taller wire mesh ramp would not be a drag on your mileage but from what I have found, it is for sure.

kooty
    Keymaster

Thanks for weighing in everyone. Much of my same thoughts. Now, I just have to figure out how to get it in the garage without the wife noticing for 4 days.

You know the old leave it sit out for 4 days an if she doesn’t notice…..

Joel Nelson
    Southeast MN

What about the “had your heart set on something more expensive” routine? Everything is relative. That really does work for me.

Joel

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.