Looking for ideas

• Ben Garver
    Hickman, Nebraska

They can be tough to come by. They are one of the most popular hooks Mustad has ever made. You might want to try Bass Pro Shops if you are in the Omaha area or scheels in Lincoln might have some too. If you find them buy a bunch. I heard that Mustad is antisipating on being 6 months behind on them.

jhalfen

I found some last week at Everts Resort on Pool 4.

igotone

We got them at Cabela’s last week

CornHunka

I called Scheel’s in Lincoln and the guy just laughed when I asked if they had them. He said they are expecting a shipment later this week, but they sell out just hours after they are stocked. I’m good friends with Glenn at Wolf Tackle out at Havelock and he said he’s having trouble getting them, but I’m on the list of people he’ll call when they do come in.

Mustad’s website has pictures of the hooks, I just might try and bend my own and test them out.

Brian Robinson
    central Neb

I will tell you, if you’re headed to the Kearney Cabela’s for any reason at all, make sure you call first with your item numbers. That store is the worst at having anything in stock. I’d say 80-85% of everything I get there I have to order in. It’s ridiculous.

Aside from that…I’m anxious to check these hooks out as well. Don’t know much about them, but I wanna.

zachary fries
    Central Nebraska

I’m right there with you B

djorg
    Central City, NE

Yep, know where you guys are coming from. Went there Tuesday for three specific items and came home with one. Can’t believe they don’t have a Flicker Shad in the store.

jorg

Brian Robinson
    central Neb

Quote:

Can’t believe they don’t have a Flicker Shad in the store.

I can.

Their stat they like to brag about is that the Kearney store sells more per square foot than any other Cabela’s store. That means absolutely nothing to me, other than the fact that you have a small crappy store where you try to cram everything into a very small showroom, but most of the time doesn’t carry anything you’re looking for anyway.

Ok…..now back to the hooks. What makes these Slow Deaths so special? I’m going to try to find some literature on em.

Which site did you find that video on, ‘Hunka?

Ben Garver
    Hickman, Nebraska

These hooks are unique because of the way they cork screw through the water. They must put off a unique displacment of water that drives walleye and other species NUTS! When I have caught fish using this tactic the walleye absolutely smash the thing. When other guys are feeding a walleye a mile of line to eat a crawler these things will get you hooked up imediately. I was taught how to make these several years ago and have been using them for a while. I really like the new Mustads because of the Ultra Point hooks!

Husker26
    Gretna, NE

I was lucky enough to go to the Cabelas in Lavista and the guy behind the counter has been spreading them around the fishing dept. in order to keep some in stock. He was saying that guys were coming in and just buying up whatever was on the rack It must be some kind of hook. So I did grab about 5 packs and thanked him, I did leave enough for the next guy

Brian Robinson
    central Neb

Was THIS the video you were talking about? Ultra cool!

Now that I’ve seen em, these look a LOT like these hooks I bought years ago, still have em. They are Eagle Claw hooks that I had a hard time finding, but I believe they were the model L044G. They are bent in a similar fashion, but they are a real fine wire. I’m going to have to hit some water soon and see if I can get em to spin at all.

Anyone else know about/remember these?

CornHunka

Yup, Brian, that’s the video I was speaking of.

CornHunka

I just checked Cabela’s website and Slow Death hooks are “in stock” I ordered 10 packages.

flatlandfowler
    SC/SW MN

I’m looking for some extra ideas for a fall hunting trip (sept-dec). The situation is this- In a month I will be done with graduate school and will be finishing my research this summer. What I am looking for is a trip somewhere new, with new experiences, as a ‘personal gift’ if you would say. I am not out for a top dollar trophy hunt or spendy guide, I’m more geared towards an out state OTC DIY pub land hunt. I prefer archery but am not limiting my self from a rifle or muzzleloader hunt.

Right now I am considering an OTC DIY in NEB with bow or rifle for mulies, an OTC DIY archery in north western SD for mulies, or head back to the black hills for archery whitetails. I am not opposed to guides but it would need to be 1500 or less for their cost. Or if you have friends with a big ranch somewhere who would trade some cash for run of the ranch kind of deal.

The goal is a new experience where the memory and experience is the gift, not just the game. Of all the hunts and fishing trips I’ve been on in ND, SD, MN, IA, WI, CO, FL, Ontario, Australia, or New Zealand it is always the first I remember the best. That’s what I’m looking for.

Please feel free to throw out any ideas even fishing ideas, Thanks

qdm4life
    Albertville, MN

I have been thinking the same thing for this fall, I would like to keep my trip under 1500,I also have looked at the Dakotas and Nebraska. The Dakotas seem like the ticket for DYI with the plethera of State and Federal lands as well as the huge tracts of private land that receive little bow pressure. The problems is it would have to be early or late for me as theres no way I would mis late october thru Muzzle loader in MN as I have to much invested to not hunt the best part of the season. I have had record high temps ruin out of state hunts in September and October so Im leaning towards heading south during the very late season, not only is it warmer in December it fairly reasonabley priced otc 2 buck areas!! Here is the link to where Im thining of heading in December
    http://www.tombstonecreekoutfitting.com/huntingpackages.asp

qdm4life
    Albertville, MN

AWSOME you just made my day Dennis!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I thought about it last year butended up fianly taggin one in MN, this year I will be headin down there!! I notice they have alot ofguys from MN that hunt down there with them, CANT WAIT NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

whittsend

Flatland fowler – where is your home base of operations?

Are you only interested in whitetails, or would you consider birds, fishing, etc…?

flatlandfowler
    SC/SW MN

Quote:

Flatland fowler – where is your home base of operations?

Are you only interested in whitetails, or would you consider birds, fishing, etc…?

I live in south central/western minnesota, if you recall a few years back I sent you some fishing info for the area over on idofishing.

I have looked more into doing a mule deer hunt and would say whitetails are in a close second. I am not opposed to any good fishing ideas as I am also an extremely avid angler. However, I have fished through out the midwest, as well as fishing trips in canada, the gulf, new zealand, and australia. I guess it would have to be a pretty unique fishing idea to get me to drop the hunting idea. Im already making a trip back to ND for waterfowl in early Oct, and Im not really into upland game hunting. So I guess thats kind of where I sit on the whole perspective.

Overall Im trying to see if someone has an idea that I haven’t thought of, or a past experience they are willing to pass along. I’ve even put some thought into something like cow elk archery, wild hogs, predator hunting out west somewhere, or trying to figure out a way for a DIY longtail duck hunt on lake michigan…. Maybe Im just thinking out loud, but figured maybe someone else’s thought process could trigger a spark of interest. Thanks for your further interest

whittsend

How about a black bear hunt? You might be able to find some semi-guided places in Ontario for that price range… Or N MN if you can find somewhere in the non-quota area…

Upland hunting is a blast… How about my lab and I meet you out around where you live. (We’ll probably be out that way anyway this fall)… You can buy a pretty nice new over and under for around $1500 and then otherwise hunt for free. First beer at our lunch stop is on me…

whittsend

Or head down to Texas.. I heard you can shoot just about anything down there (hogs, turkey, deer) for fairly cheap. Might make a nice warm-weather winter getaway option…

flatlandfowler
    SC/SW MN

Quote:

How about my lab and I meet you out around where you live. (We’ll probably be out that way anyway this fall)… You can buy a pretty nice new over and under for around $1500 and then otherwise hunt for free.

I think Ill skip the gun, but look me up before you head this way if you want. It would be fun to meet up and knock down some ditch parrots.

I do like the Texas hog idea. Only been after them once for a day in FL and we skunked

Anyone know of any rifle OTC antelope opportunities? States or general areas?

duckhuntrrus
    Lexington Ne

Nebraska has a ton of public land. I would suggest heading out west towards the Pine Ridge area. You have both Mulies and whitetails. Great hunting and not too expensive.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.