Thought provoking email….

• nick
    Lakeville, MN

Great report, not much of a bass fisherman, but I’ve spent a little time fishing them, got into some nice numbers before, never found the size myself, though I’m sure there are some nice fish in there.

whiskeyandwater
    ????

Well I got out fishing (sort of) FINALY! Went camping at Lake Byllesby with the wife, son, and her Family. I think between the wind and a 5 month old, mainly the wind, I was able to fish for a total of 2 hours in 2 Days.

I’m glad to report that there were fish in the lake. I managed just 2 7″ Hybrid Sunnies, that had some of the neatest coloring I had ever seen. looked like a typical green sunnie, but the fins were all whitish, yellow tipped. Hope to have a picture up soon.

Because of the wind taking a boat out wasn’t an option for one person this time, I would have been up in the rocks quicker than I could have dropped an anchore. So I was mainly casting from shore. I tried Cranks spinners, and Jigs. I was hoping to be near the camp fire with a bobber and a leech at night, but even after dark there were white caps blowing right at me.

I hope to get back down there some day though looks like an interesting lake to fish. our camp sites were right next to the campground landing, and it sounded like everyone was having the same type of luck, the best report I had was 3 crappies a Walleye, and a Small mouth, The walleye couldn’t have been more than 14″

aaron_carrell
    Minneapolis, MN

Has anyone been out on Orchard in the last week or 2? The last I saw of that lake was just awful, but that was probably 4-5 weeks ago. I’m wondering what has happened to the weed growth. Everything was so overgrown on my past visit that it was very unenjoyable to fish. Finding fish deep in there yet? I always enjoy fishing the shallows and the 2 mid-lake humps, but I’ve been getting into deep worming a little more recently.
    I’ll be heading out there tomorrow afternoon, so if anyone’s got a heads up for what to be prepared for, that would be great!

nick
    Lakeville, MN

No idea really, but the weeds come and go depending on the time of year, they seem to peak earlier on, then taper off. I got one more day of work, and i should be able to get out and fish some

aaron_carrell
    Minneapolis, MN

Well, the good news is that the weeds on Orchard have tamed down to a normal level. The bad news is the fish were scattered at best. I think alot of this had to do w/ 82ยบ water temps. Fished the lake pretty hard last night with my church league and I did alright, but alot of guys didn’t have the same luck. My boat got 6 fish, 5 of which were over 15″, and every single one of them came on worms drug along bottom in 8-12′ with good weed cover laying down. Most of the other people that did catch a bass or 2 caught them deeper as well, and only in heavier weed beds. The shallow areas didn’t even give us a swirl or hit to speak of.
    The majority of our fish came out away from the 2 submerged islands, but make sure you don’t get out past those weeds. Certain sides of the islands seem to be completely lacking of weed beds once you’re out past 8′ but other areas are good to 14′ (the better bites for me).

One good thing to bring up is that one boat got 3 tigers (32, 35, 37) just cranking over the tops of these same weed beds, and I saw another muskie 3 times swimming w/ its head out of the water just sucking air it seemed. I’ve heard of it and seen videos, but that was the first time in person. Pretty neat to say the least.

Not a bad time of year to be on this lake, but w/ this recent heat the fish are getting lazy or something. Another guy in our group had been on the lake Sunday night and boated 40ish fish in around 3 hours, so its producing but you’ve just gotta find the right time I guess. We fished 5-8:30 yesterday, and I know this other fellow fished 8:30pm to 12:00 on Sunday.
    Good luck! Tight lines

nick
    Lakeville, MN

Not too bad at all I have caught a small musky or two out of there, I was tossing swim baits one day and got the crap spooked out of me when I looked down to see a 30+ inch musky darn near within arms reach, I know there in there, I guess I just wasn’t expecting to see one, let alone that close.

CPRDave
    Lakeville, MN

Aaron,

I was in the boat that caught 3 skis – mine were the 32 and 37. Last Saturday, I caught another 32 and lost another one near 40. Plus, lost a very nice Bass at the boat. I found a nice little transition area in around 18 ft.

Dave

nick
    Lakeville, MN

Been awhile since I’ve been able to get out on the local lakes here, but I did get a short chance to fish Marion tonight, IMHO there are three tyoes of fish to fish for in the lake, Bass, Northern Pike and Carp… My 14 year old cousin was in town so we thought we squeeze a quick trip in, Tonight we went for bass.

We got on the water about 8:45pm off by 10pm so we didn’t get a real chance to do much else than fish a couple baits on one stretch of shoreline. Tried some Bomber 5A cranks, nothing to show on those, and a white spinner bait with nothing for the effort there either. I ended up switching to the one thing that consistently produces for me, espcially on Marion, a weighless worm (or tube bait), We pitched them up to 3-4 fow and brought it back real slow to the 12-15′ or so we were sitting in, we fished a piece of shore with a good break on it, I was marking a good amount of fish under the boat, but didn’t fish for them. We ended the night with only 2 bass one a nice healhty 18 incher and another around 14 inches, one fish each . The fish came in about 5-7 fow.

I hope to get the chance to take him out again tomorrow, not totally sure where we’ll go yet…

Sorry my spelling and grammar suck tonight

carroll58
    Twin Cities, USA

Marion just had a tournment from Celebration Church on Saturday with 35 boats. A couple buddies placed 7th with 14 1/2lbs.

Winning weight was just over 20lbs Bass for a 5-fish limit. Over a dozen teams had at least 1-5lb’r with Big Bass at 6.5lbs. Good Luck

nick
    Lakeville, MN

Fished Fish Lake (scott county) Last night, for a couple hours again right before dark, caught a couple bass pitching plastics to the weeds, all small, there appeared to be a fishing tourney of some sorts local weekly club? so I’m sure the fish were a bit pressured, marked a bunch of fish outside the weed edges couldn’t get anything to go.

aaron_carrell
    Minneapolis, MN

Hah, my church’s club (Celebration Church in Lakeville) was fishing Fish Lake on Tuesday. I was actually out of town until late that night, but I know they were out there. Sounded like some guys did well and others really had trouble finding em. Must’ve had to be pretty deep. Shame I wasn’t out there to meet ya.

nick
    Lakeville, MN

Cool, Yeah, Don’t be shy, Stop by a chat with me. that’s my boat in my Avatar (Ranger 190VS Reata), got an “Indepthangling.com” sticker one the windsheild driver’s side, not super noticable but it’s there.

That goes for anyone out on the water

nick
    Lakeville, MN

Anyone planning on gettting out this weekend? Looks like we got a sitter for a couple hours on Sat night, so I’ll try and drag the wife out with me, not sure where we’ll go yet, Either Prior, Spring or Fish. Open to any suggestions Probably looking more for a panfish or walleye bite, but we’ll fish bass too.

tigermusky
    St. Louis Park

Hit up Prior yesterday from 8:30am to 8:30pm to do some bass fishing. Deffinately had quantity and not quality. Managed one 18″ and 16″ the rest were cookie cutter 8-11 inchers. Finished the day with 64 in the boat. Fished mostly shallow 10 feet and under on Lower Prior. Spent about an hour on Upper and couldn’t get much going. We casted all day and didn’t troll at all. I know the bigger ones are out deeper off weed breaks, but the guys I took out don’t have the opportunity to get out as much as I do. I figured they would enjoy the numbers instead of deep cranks and jiggin on structure. We caught the majority of them on Skitter Pops, DT6’s, and Rattle traps. Also got a few on Carolina rigged stick worms (Baby bass color) with red hook. A few on scum frogs and also small jig and plastic combos. All in all a great day on the water with great weather and lots of laughs. Here is the two of the bigger ones and also the smallest

nick
    Lakeville, MN

Killer pic Yeah, I don’t fish for bass much, and never spent any real time looking deep for them.

Nice report thanks I’m kind of leaning towards prior, but it all depends on what time we have to get out, if we can get out and stay out late, we’ll hit prior, if not we’ll shoot for something with less traffic.

nick
    Lakeville, MN

Anyone have any recent reports? Looks like I may have a chance to get out in the next week a couple times.

aaron_carrell
    Minneapolis, MN

Got out to Orchard Lake last night (last league night of the year) and boy was it tough. That cold front we’ve been having really changed the fish’s patterns. Anyways, out of 7 boats I believe only 5 LMB were caught. I actually got the biggest fish at 17″ along w/ a little 12.5″er. Pretty slow night altogether obviously, and the only pattern I could come up with was to use a fast and noisy crank. I got that bass and a nice 28″ northern on rattlebaits, and the other fish on a chatterbait. All of my action was in 4-8′ of water just casting over the drop is sparse weeds. There are still green weeds out there but the algae bloom is AWFUL at the moment. Either way, nothing on plastics, and a couple early misses on a buzzbait in the NE corner shallows. Wish things weren’t so slow this week!

I tried every TYPE of bait in my box, from plastic worms, jig-n-pig, buzzbaits, walk-the-dog, frog, spinner, chatterbaits in shallow areas to cranks, dropshot, rattlebaits, and jig-n-pig in the deeper areas near weed edges. Like I said… only one style produced.

Mark Steffes
    Farmington, MN

I’ll be out on Byllesby on Saturday to see if I can scare up some of those fall eyes. I’ll post a report when I get back.

nick
    Lakeville, MN

Go get ’em

nick
    Lakeville, MN

Sure is quiet in this thread… Anyone fishing? I haven’t had much chance myself, looking like we’ll get out tomorrow, we’re either going to hit spring or fish. Not sure yet, mostly crappie fishing.

nick
    Lakeville, MN

I hit Marion (the dead sea) today, I spent some time dragging jigs around with ringworms and nothing to so or it, I also trolled some cranks for a bit. Weather started to look a bit iffy, so I decided to call it a night, spent about 2 hours or so out there, no fish . Marked a lot of fish, starting in the 15′ range, both suspended and on the bottom. Suprised to see water temp almost 70 degrees.

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

Got the following in an email. While I have no idea if the numbers are correct, it is thought provoking at best.

The World’s Largest Army. America’s Hunters?

The state of Wisconsin has gone an entire deer hunting season without someone getting killed. That’s great news, especially considering there were over 600,000 hunters firing at will. Allow me to restate that number in another way… Over the last two months, the eighth largest army in the world–more men under arms than in Iran, more than France and Germany combined–deployed to the woods of a single American state to help keep the deer menace at bay. But that figure pales in comparison to the 750,000 who are in the woods of Pennsylvania this week! Michigan ‘s 700,000 hunters have now returned home. Toss in a quarter million hunters in West Virginia and it is literally a fact that the hunters of those four states, alone, would comprise the largest army in the world.

America will forever be safe from a foreign invasion of troops with that kind of home-grown firepower. Now, if we can just remain ‘safe’ from the liberal anti-gun group that wants to take our guns away. No wonder they want our guns–they’re afraid of us…with good reason. Hunting – it’s not just a fun way to fill the freezer.

It’s a matter of national security!

mpearson
    Chippewa Falls, WI

norseman
    FAIRMONT MN

Its a wonder there are any deer left! Great email!So true.

ragerunner
    Winona, MN

Ahhhhh, I’m proud to be an American!

qdm4life
    Albertville, MN

I have said it for years, the minute men of the revolution would be proud. And its a thought that any invaders need to consider, or the people who plan to disarm this nation!

prieser
    Byron, MN

Love It

PowerFred

Best I’ve read in a long, long time! As long as we have armed, responsible citizens, no country would EVER consider invading the USA.

God forbid we ever get to that point, but if it ever does come, pray for our ememies. I’ve seen some deer hunters make shots that the Marine snipers would be very impressed with.

travis_eckman
    Trempealeau County, WI

SWEET READ!

Viewing 30 posts - 31 through 60 (of 62 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.