Minnesota’s Proposed New Hunting Laws

• In-Depth Webstaff
    Keymaster

Here’s a few of the proposed new hunting laws passed by the Minnesota Legislature on Saturday. The Game & Fish Bill still needs to be signed by Gov. Tim Pawlenty before it becomes law.

-Bow hunters can carry handguns while bow hunting for deer.

-Restitution fines for illegally taking deer out of season increases according to Boone and Crockett antler scores. Poachers killing deer with antlers scoring 135 to 159, for instance, would have to pay $2,000 for the poached deer.

-A driver who kills a deer in a collision has priority to claim the entire deer with a DNR possession permit if facts indicate it wasn’t taken illegally.

-Big-game hunting stands on private land no longer have to comply to a 16-foot maximum height restriction.

-Individual Counties and Townships can offer bounties for coyotes.

-The MN DNR is planning to start a two-year pilot walk-in hunter access program similar to a SD program. The program will begin this fall and will target 25,000 acres in SW Minnesota, paying willing landowners a per-acre price to open land to hunters. The MN DNR hopes to get matching funds from the Federal Govt..

-The DNR can open the MN Duck season before Oct. 1. Prior, the DNR could not open it before the Saturday closest to Oct. 1.

-Grouse hunters may not shoot at a ruffed grouse unless they are at least 10 feet from a vehicle and the engine is turned off.

-Private landowners can use a drum for bear baiting on private land.

-Bear hunters must buy their lottery-drawn license by the Friday closest to July 31. Leftover licenses will be issued to hunters unsuccessful in the lottery.

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

The good news is, if I see a 150″ class whitetail on the road, I’m not slowing down.

Anyone see anything that concerns you or effects you negatively?

mpearson
    Chippewa Falls, WI

Why would bow hunters need to carry a hand gun while hunting deer? Is this in case they run out of arrows?

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

I know a guy who carried one on his first archery bear hunt. I would do the same for deer hunting if I was in known areas of high bear and wolf populations.

Still too soon Mike!!

robstenger
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

Yes, the handgun thing has been on my mind a lot lately. After my last hunt in SD (Mt Lion tracks) and my shed hunt / scouting mission up North on our property in February when I saw wolf tracks everywhere and watched my friendly dog go to super slow mo stalk like maneuvers and watched his hair raise on his back as I sat there with a stick and him start to growl as we slowly retreated bacwards. I will be happy to carry a side arm when I hunt with a bow or go on walks from now on.

bluefin
    Farmington, MN

Any word on this being signed?

I can’t find anything

robstenger
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

I read something on the fishing side that NO the Govenor will not sign it.

In-Depth Webstaff
    Keymaster

The governor contends the Legislature overreached with its sweeping outdoors directive.

By DOUG SMITH, Star Tribune Last update: May 25, 2010 – 9:26 PM

There will be no two-line fishing in the summer. No free fishing for 16- and 17- year-olds. No early duck season or special hunter access program this fall. Gov. Tim Pawlenty vetoed a wide-ranging game and fish bill on Tuesday that contained numerous controversial items, including special regulations on Fish Lake Reservoir near Duluth, where a state senator who pushed for the measure has a cabin. The bill would have allowed open-water anglers to use two fishing lines and would have created a hunter access program that would have paid landowners to allow public hunting. It also would have closed or restricted fishing on three lakes or rivers — action Pawlenty said had no scientific basis.

It even would have set the deer hunting season in southeastern Minnesota, something not normally done by statute. The governor said that several provisions reflected “legislative overreach” and that legislators tried to set “arbitrary hunting and fishing management policy” that conflicted with Department of Natural Resources experts.

The DNR opposed many of the provisions. Signing it would “condone an approach that establishes harmful precedent for managing our natural resources and undercut public confidence in the process,” Pawlenty wrote in a letter to legislators. He said it also would accelerate the declining balance in the DNR’s game and fish fund, which is funded by hunting and fishing license fees. “I recommended a veto,” said DNR Commissioner Mark Holsten. “It wasn’t any one thing; it was the volume of them and the fiscal implications.” But Sen. Satveer Chaudhary, DFL-Fridley, chairman of the Senate Environment and Natural Resources Committee and a chief author of the bill, said the veto was a blow to outdoor enthusiasts. “I feel bad for Minnesota sportsmen who brought these initiatives to the Legislature,” he said. As for legislative overreach, Chaudhary said: “Sportsmen and the Legislature simply acted when the DNR would not.” Chaudhary himself made the bill more controversial when, at the 11th hour, he had a colleague insert an amendment directing the DNR to adopt special regulations for Fish Lake. He has said he thought the majority of the lake’s residents wanted the action but learned afterward that they didn’t. Chaudhary has taken public criticism for appearing to try to boost fishing on his own lake, but he said he did nothing unethical.

The financial shortcomings of the bill also prompted the veto, Holsten said. Pawlenty said there was no evidence that a provision to allow anglers fishing open water to use two lines for an extra $10 would generate up to $2 million in revenue. Anglers buying tags would have had their bag limits cut in half and faced other restrictions. Holsten said he doubted anyone would buy the endorsements. Those revenues would have helped offset the proposed $1.4 million “walk-in” hunting program, which would have allowed hunters access to private lands. Such a program, popular in other states, has been long- sought by Minnesota hunting groups. Despite his veto, Pawlenty directed Holsten to develop a program, though funding remains uncertain. The veto kills some provisions the DNR supported, including allowing the duck season to start in September instead of October. It also would have reinstated a requirement that hunters on ATVs step away from their machines before shooting at ruffed grouse. “There were a number of things we would have liked, but none so critical that we can’t wait a year,” Holsten said. THE BILL ALSO WOULD HAVE: •Closed parts of the Mississippi and Rum rivers to smallmouth bass fishing until the third Sunday in June and closed fishing on parts of Florida Lake one month before the regular fishing season. •Allowed northerns to be speared on Cass Lake. •Boosted the fines for poaching a trophy deer. •Removed a 16-foot restriction for hunting stands on private lands.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.