Illinois Yotes

• john-tucker
    Northwest Illinois

Went out to look for a coyote this morning for the first time in a few years. Ran into some neighbors who where after one, so I set up on a fence row coming out of the timber the yote was running through.

Twenty minutes later here he came, running the fence row right at me! I had to hold off till he got close, as I was armed with a 12 gauge with #4 buck shot. He popped up over a rise 60 yards from me and skidded to a halt just as my first round cut loose. Missed.

The second shot struck him solid in the shoulder at around 70 yards, but he never missed a step. Ran some distance but he made the mistake of running 200 yards out from one of the neighbors, who did him in with, I believe, a .270.

I am still amazed at how that critter could take a shoulder shot of buck shot and not even bleed. Tough hombres, them yotes!

robby
    Quad Cities

John, I have not coyote hunted much in a few years either, but plan on this year. I have a place to two I can take you if you are interested. I used to kill a pretty fair number of coyotes, all called in. Called in a few fox-dont shoot then though unless they appear ill. Also called in a bobcat in Henry Co, pretty neat experience. I miss not knowing exactly what will show up from deer to cats and eagles. LOL. Drop me a line if you wish. All I will ask is that you NEVER return to my spots w/o me. Sorry to point out general etiquette and do not mean to offend, but you know how hard it is to get a hunting spot these days. I am a law abiding hunter and fisherman and I expect you are also. Merry Christmas! — Rob

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.