Iowa non-resident archery deer tags

• ederd
    Northeast Iowa, Randalia

Quote:

Quote:

I can only get the first 1/4 of the program.is there a block or something I don’t know about?Thanks in advance

There’s no block in place or anything like that. I just tested the video and was able to watch it from beginning to end without any issues.

Anyone else out there on DSL or cable connection to the internet seeing any issues with video playback?

I had this problem also but thought it was just on my end!!

Ed

gary_wellman
    South Metro

How long has it been that Iowa has been a “lottery draw” for non-resident archery deer hunting?

What is the average percentage of tags issued to percentage of tags applied for.

I would like to get this information going back to even the mid-early 1990s.

Does the Iowa DNR have a website for this information?

tom_gursky
    Michigan's Upper Peninsula(Iron Mountain)

I drew a buck tag for Area 7 this year Gary($296.50)…IT took three years for me to be successful. You must also pay for a doe tag ($126.50). Total minimum fees to hunt $545

<a href=”www.iowadnr.gov” target=”_blank”>Iowa DNR</a>

Jami Ritter
    Hastings, MN

Quote:

I drew a buck tag for Area 7 this year Gary($296.50)…IT took three years for me to be successful. You must also pay for a doe tag ($126.50). Total minimum fees to hunt $545

Holy crap!! I’ll just buy a side of beef for that! they don’t want outsiders down there do they??

robstenger
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

I believe you also need to pay some $ every year that you don’t get drawn now.

tom_gursky
    Michigan's Upper Peninsula(Iron Mountain)

Yup…that wiped out my “stash” for this year…

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

I don’t know if they do Gary but I’ll check and see what I can find after dinner tonight then post what I find.

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Gary heres how to get to the Iowa dnr’s site. Type in Iowa department of natural resources and their main page will come up. I tried to find a specific area where I could narrow it down at and no luck. In the blue banner at the top right hand side theres a link to click on where you can message them directly, I’ve done that before and its the easiest for me to ask a question. I’ve always got an answer back by the next day. Thats the link you want to go to, check out the site too, its pretty interisting all the literature they will send a guy.

big_g
    Isle, MN

Quote:

I believe you also need to pay some $ every year that you don’t get drawn now.

Sounds like its time for reciprical non-resident fees in MN….

tony_p
    Waterloo, IA

I dont know why you would want to hunt Iowa..There’s no deer down here and especialy any decent bucks around .

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Right Tony, I just got lucky seeing 300″ in two days and it took about 3 hrs total, plus all the darned does, man whats a guy to do. We,re just lucky is all and I’m glad.

johnsy
    Mantorville, Mn

Sounds like its time for reciprical non-resident fees in MN….

x2

farmboy1
    Mantorville, MN

Quote:

don’t forget the mandatory habitat fee, the application fee, and grab your ankles fee

Iowa sends lots of fisherman to MN, $200 fishing license for Iowans would have this law changes in short order.

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

Wow, that’s a lot of money just to get a tag. Then to travel, stay and find a place to hunt. Holy smokes. Feels like an elk hunt price tag, not a whitetail.

I just bought a double SD archery doe tag for $80.00. The buck tag would be an additional $195.00(up $40.00 recently). It’s also a $110.00 to shoot pheasants for 10 days. I’ve also got $60.00 tied up in an annual fishing license. All told, SD will get $250.00 from me this year. I guess that isn’t too bad when I compare to MN fees for the same privileges.

Seems to me we could all try to act like neighbors and have some fair pricing. I’m sure the locals in Iowa don’t want “us” down there shooting their trophy deer, so they push to continue to weed out the Joe Smoes of the world. Hunting has been and will continue to be a rich man’s sport.

todders
    Shoreview, MN

I am sure about 12 of us could rent a 1 bedroom apartment for less then that. I think the lotto is a good deal and a big part of the states management plan but the prices are rediculous. I wonder if you could find the percentage of people that were drawn to the percentage that bought their tag?

scottb.
    Southeast, MN

I don’t think anyone draws a tag and doesn’t buy it. You apply knowing full well that is the cost. The reason they charge that much is they get it! I don’t believe they have ever not sold tags,thats why it is a drawing.

It certainly does rule out the average guy though. I would love to go down there and know some great public land spots in southern Iowa but I can’t justify paying that kind of money. My dad and his buddies went every year with shotgun but all but one has dropped out with the latest jump in pricing.

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

I’m not those guys who want to keep non-residents from coming here and Id say most guys here aren’t, theres a few but most of the guys I’ve met want other guys who want to come here and hunt to be able to do so. I also agree their too high and if I lived out of state I doubt I’d come here and hunt too. Maybe if I was rolling in the dough I would but for the average guy it is too high. What ever happened to fair pricing so most everybody had a shot at the same thing.

tony_p
    Waterloo, IA

I dont think the Fees are to high at all. We have a great managed state when it comes to whitetails.
    We dont have a fire arm season during the rut also which helps alot so the does get bread. Also it helps on harvesting the immature bucks and does. We have doe tags for zones that need it. Also the lottery helps on the number of hunters that enter the state so the deer are not over pressured. We have a great deer herd here.
    Without all this it would just be an over hunted state with the weekend warrior gun hunters that hunts one time ayear killing everything that moves. I hunt 3 states and welcome non resident hunters here. I would pay the fee to hunt out of state without a problem.
    In fact I helped a fellow IDOer from Michigan last year, and he killed a dandy of a buck with his bow. I never meet him in my life untill he sent me a pm on here on were to hunt.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.