Pistol for Bears

• Eric Rehberg
    Eau Claire, WI

I am looking for suggestions on a light, cheap, but accurate pistol to carry with me while bow hunting. Saturday put me over the edge, and it will be the last time I get stuck up my tree after dark with a fearless bear that close.

Any help out there?

Eric Rehberg
    Eau Claire, WI

I guess i should have said as light as possible. weight isnt as much of an issue as cheaper, and reliable. just need to have that little extra protection out there.

Jon Stevens
    Northfield, Wi

High Point….cheap and reliable. I used to carry a pistol. I switched to an air horn last year. $5 bucks at walmart.

mallard_militia
    Fulton County, Illinois

I brought a small pack of leftover firecrackers from 4th of July with me, but never needed them. If you don’t use them, they can always be used to toss under a fellow hunters camp chair when they are falling asleep around camp.

bluefin
    Farmington, MN

I bought a used .357 revolver a couple yesrs ago with the idea that I would carry it bear hunting. It’s a ton of fun to target shoot and I carry it deer hunting now too. I love it

freitag
    Osseo, WI

During my limited experience of hunting bears they always take off after I start to descend from the tree….though, I like the airhorn idea..just in case.

ben_dvoracek
    Eden Prairie, MN

Is it legal to carry a pistol with you while bow hunting? If the DNR ever checked you could they consider that trying to poach a deer with a gun?

packingheat
    Reads Landing Mn

It is ok to carry a gun while hunting bear by archery

A person may take bear, elk and
    moose by archery while in possession of a firearm.

straight out of the MN regs.

mbenson
    Minocqua, Wisconsin

It is my understanding that the same is true in WI as warden friend told me I queried him last year that it is legal, that if you use the wrong weapon the burden of proof is on them. Of course, they are pretty good at proving the facts.

Mark

tom_gursky
    Michigan's Upper Peninsula(Iron Mountain)

In Mich the revolver cant be up the tree with you unless you have a CC permit. Believe me, the air horn is a MUCH better idea!
    A .357 will get a big bear mad and he can really hurt you before he dies….IF he does..

Eric Rehberg
    Eau Claire, WI

From my understanding of the rule book and with talking with the wardens you are allowed to carry one with you for protection.

Most bears usually run when they see or hear a person. The bears around were I hunt are getting so big, and so used to people, and so many of them around, that they are pretty much fearless.

I shot a doe on sat night and took out both front shoulders. She dropped right in her tracks but it took a little bit for her to die. between the noise and the smell, it must have attracted the bears back. He stood about 10 yards from my deer growling and snapping. Mind you it was dark by now and I could barely see anything. I tried yelling at him, braking branches, threw some sticks, everything. Finally got him to run off far enough so i could get out of my tree. We came back about an hour later (with a shotgun and pistol this time) to get my deer. The boar was standing about 20 yards from her in the wide open. 4 guys making noise and hollaring at this bear and it never even flinched. Finally got close enough to grab the deer and we left. Of course i was the one without a gun and it wont happen again. The bear down there are getting to big and fearless to not have a little extra protection.

rangerski
    North Metro

Can’t in MN while bowhunting deer

TeamBurbot

i just went out and pick up a ruger GP 100. 357 mag. it ran me about 550 but i loved shooting this gun. i to was bow hunting for bears this year and wanted just a little back up just incase. my dad carries a taurus tracker 44 mag. it is a little cheaper but it only has a 4 inch barrel so it does kick a bit but a very very nice gun none the less

jeff_hansen

I was going to mention the Taurus Tracker as well. They seem to be decent guns at a lower price point. The short barrel will bark a bit, but I don’t think I’d be worrying about that too much if I needed to use it.

tom_gursky
    Michigan's Upper Peninsula(Iron Mountain)

Eric,
    I have had many handguns for baiting/blood trailing bears and hunting them. If you decide to get one for protection from harm from the type of bear you describe I highly reccommend a .45 or .44 Mag. Take some time to get used to shooting it, and shooting it accurately. A handgun takes more practice/technique than a rifle.
    For low light, a lazer aim device is highly reccommended also.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.