Air Rifle for Woodchuck

• rvvrrat
    The Sand Prairie

I have a woodchuck on my bank. Can’t shoot a 22 in the area. Is there an air rifle I can buy that can take them out without costing me an arm and a leg?

Thanks,

Pete

robstenger
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

Protour Means: Have Bow will Travel.

rvvrrat
    The Sand Prairie

Last time I shot a bow was 35 years ago with a 50# Fred Bear recurve…still have it, but doubt my accuracy. If anyone in the Wabasha area wants to practice you are more than welcome to try. If not, I’d still appreciate any advise on an air rifle. I have never even looked at one.

lick

jcthorson
    Austin, MN

Ever thought about using a trap. Either a live trap with apples in it will work usually. Or if you can find his den or hole put a 220 conibear over it and you will be almost garenteed him within a day. Just make sure there is no pets that can get near it other wise you got a problem.

PowerFred

Gamo makes some pretty serious air rifles now. I’d lean towards the .22 over the .177 caliber.

I’ve got a Gamo in .177 that kills squirrels out to about 30 yards. I’m sure a woodchuck at that range would be no problem, I’d just make sure I had a good broadside shot to the vitals. A .177 to the heart/lung area will put them down. I don’t think I’d try a head shot unless I was really close.

I don’t know the price on these guns. I got mine as a gift.

fishinallday
    Montrose Mn

My brother in law has this one. The attached is a refurb special at cabelas. My guess is that 1200fps will most likely take care of your issue. Not sure I would want to have BB gun wars like we used to. These damn things are getting serious.

air rifle @ cabelas

Jami Ritter
    Hastings, MN

Quote:

Gamo makes some pretty serious air rifles now. I’d lean towards the .22 over the .177 caliber.

I’ve got a Gamo in .177 that kills squirrels out to about 30 yards. I’m sure a woodchuck at that range would be no problem, I’d just make sure I had a good broadside shot to the vitals. A .177 to the heart/lung area will put them down. I don’t think I’d try a head shot unless I was really close.

I don’t know the price on these guns. I got mine as a gift.

I’ve been know to shoot hippity hops in my back yard at 30 yrds with these, and they don’t go anywhere….

Jami

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.