Morrel mushrooms

• WeaverBottom
    SE Minnesota

Does anyone know a decent way to preserve ‘shrooms for later use? I usually eat them before they go bad, but I’d like to save a few this year.

jeff_jensen
    cassville ,wis

I like to fry them up until just about done then I separate them and lay them on a cookie sheet and freeze solid. Put in double ziplox and store. When ready to use simply place in a hot pan and finish frying. They turn out a little softer than fresh morels of course but the flavor is still there. Ok,I’m hungry now

jeff_jensen
    cassville ,wis

I like to fry them up until just about done then I separate them and lay them on a cookie sheet and freeze solid. Put in double ziplox and store. When ready to use simply place in a hot pan and finish frying. They turn out a little softer than fresh morels of course but the flavor is still there. Ok,I’m hungry now

ErikHendo
    Crosslake, MN

We vacume pack them. It takes all the air out of the bag and the shrooms shrink down and it takes the moisture out of them. Keep them in a dry cool place. When you want to use them take them out and add water and they go right back to normal. You can put about a pound of them in one little bag.

ErikHendo
    Crosslake, MN

We vacume pack them. It takes all the air out of the bag and the shrooms shrink down and it takes the moisture out of them. Keep them in a dry cool place. When you want to use them take them out and add water and they go right back to normal. You can put about a pound of them in one little bag.

maurice

from my understanding (i have not tried it yet but going to) donot wash them – lay them on a surface in the sun for at least 8 hours- then put them in a brown paper bag –seal up and put in a dark place (under bed-in closet) then if you want mushrooms for christmas dinner you simply remove from bag place in a pan of water and in a short time they will absorb the water back to their original state. sounds good to me — we will see–snagged

maurice

from my understanding (i have not tried it yet but going to) donot wash them – lay them on a surface in the sun for at least 8 hours- then put them in a brown paper bag –seal up and put in a dark place (under bed-in closet) then if you want mushrooms for christmas dinner you simply remove from bag place in a pan of water and in a short time they will absorb the water back to their original state. sounds good to me — we will see–snagged

chomps
    Sioux City IA

not washing them would work if you picked your morrels from black dirt, it doesn’t work with morrels picked from sandy soil, the mushrooms collect sand pretty good. I have made a 2×4 frame as big as my picnic table and stapled chicken wire over it. I usually let my mushrooms soak in a cooler of cool water to release any dirt/sand and get any unwanted bugs loose, the big ones need to be cut in half. Lay them out in a single layer onto the screen, on a breezy sunny day, I will dehydrate them for a few more hours after the sun goes down just to be sure they are dry. I’ll put in plastic containers (not baggies) so they don’t get smashed, and store in freezer. They keep for years, matter of fact, I still have two small containers left from last year. I will re-constitute them in warm water, drain, (save water for mushroom gravy) add butter to a hot pan, add mushrooms, saute till moisture is evaporated, add crushed garlic, salt & pepper, and a few shakes of steak sauce and a pint of whipping cream, stir till thick and pour over grilled steaks or chicken..mmm…good. Can’t wait till the first week of May!

chomps
    Sioux City IA

not washing them would work if you picked your morrels from black dirt, it doesn’t work with morrels picked from sandy soil, the mushrooms collect sand pretty good. I have made a 2×4 frame as big as my picnic table and stapled chicken wire over it. I usually let my mushrooms soak in a cooler of cool water to release any dirt/sand and get any unwanted bugs loose, the big ones need to be cut in half. Lay them out in a single layer onto the screen, on a breezy sunny day, I will dehydrate them for a few more hours after the sun goes down just to be sure they are dry. I’ll put in plastic containers (not baggies) so they don’t get smashed, and store in freezer. They keep for years, matter of fact, I still have two small containers left from last year. I will re-constitute them in warm water, drain, (save water for mushroom gravy) add butter to a hot pan, add mushrooms, saute till moisture is evaporated, add crushed garlic, salt & pepper, and a few shakes of steak sauce and a pint of whipping cream, stir till thick and pour over grilled steaks or chicken..mmm…good. Can’t wait till the first week of May!

garvi
    LACROSSE WI

Tried drying them with a dhydrator(sp) last year and it didn’t come out to well, looking for some more ideas,last year turkey hunting they were all over the place.

garvi
    LACROSSE WI

Tried drying them with a dhydrator(sp) last year and it didn’t come out to well, looking for some more ideas,last year turkey hunting they were all over the place.

chomps
    Sioux City IA

I know through trial and error you need a dehydrator with a fan, and a temp setting. Put the temp on the lowest settings. I also have friends who will bread them, then freeze on wax paper, then put into containers.

chomps
    Sioux City IA

I know through trial and error you need a dehydrator with a fan, and a temp setting. Put the temp on the lowest settings. I also have friends who will bread them, then freeze on wax paper, then put into containers.

WeaverBottom
    SE Minnesota

Thanks for the replys. Can’t wait to give the options a try!

WeaverBottom
    SE Minnesota

Thanks for the replys. Can’t wait to give the options a try!

alkfish
    St Paul MN

The fever is starting…..
    Best way to keep morels are to dry em. I put up over 100 lbs last year. I used mainy the dehydrater, but you can string em up and blow a fan on em. Also if it isn’t raining,use the mesh drying method, just be sure they don’t get dew on em. Also becareful of the wind it will blow your dried morels away. Happy hunting.

alkfish
    St Paul MN

The fever is starting…..
    Best way to keep morels are to dry em. I put up over 100 lbs last year. I used mainy the dehydrater, but you can string em up and blow a fan on em. Also if it isn’t raining,use the mesh drying method, just be sure they don’t get dew on em. Also becareful of the wind it will blow your dried morels away. Happy hunting.

buck-slayer

I’ve found them ,but never had to worry about freezing any.

buck-slayer

I’ve found them ,but never had to worry about freezing any.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I strung them up on thread once and hung them in basement to dry. I then ground them up and used as meat seasoning when grilling beef. That worked well. I get them every year but just keep enough for a meal or two at at time.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I strung them up on thread once and hung them in basement to dry. I then ground them up and used as meat seasoning when grilling beef. That worked well. I get them every year but just keep enough for a meal or two at at time.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.