backseat gun rest?

• jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

I am absolutely, 100% certain the permit to carry applies to “Handguns” only. Brian, pull out your permit and read the first line. “State of Minnesota Permit to Carry a Pistol”. The permit in no way, shape or form applies to long guns.

-J.

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

Quote:

now the person can carry a long gun loaded with a permit if out walking around

I’m pretty sure anyone can do that at long as you don’t try to conceal the weapon. Again, not advisable!

-J.

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

Quote:

now the person can carry a long gun loaded with a permit if out walking around

I’m pretty sure anyone can do that at long as you don’t try to conceal the weapon. Again, not advisable!

-J.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

I ‘spose I could be wrong once in my life…just to show people that I’m human and all…

What is amazing to me is that two seperate carry instructors stated in their class (that I heard) that “the law made no distinction between handguns and long guns”.

I know I won’t be testing it out anytime soon!

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

I ‘spose I could be wrong once in my life…just to show people that I’m human and all…

What is amazing to me is that two seperate carry instructors stated in their class (that I heard) that “the law made no distinction between handguns and long guns”.

I know I won’t be testing it out anytime soon!

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

Quote:

What is amazing to me is that two seperate carry instructors stated in their class (that I heard) that “the law made no distinction between handguns and long guns”

I have the law printed out here sitting on my desk….all 29 pages. You are correct in saying it does not specifically exclude long guns, nor does in include them. The terms “firearm” and “pistol” are used interchangably.

However, if you look at your application for the permit >>> Minnesota Statewide Permit to Carry a Pistol Application.and the permit itself, it specifically states “Pistol”. Lastly, it really don’t matter what the law says, it’s what your issuing Sheriff says. Call him up and ask.

-J.

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

Quote:

What is amazing to me is that two seperate carry instructors stated in their class (that I heard) that “the law made no distinction between handguns and long guns”

I have the law printed out here sitting on my desk….all 29 pages. You are correct in saying it does not specifically exclude long guns, nor does in include them. The terms “firearm” and “pistol” are used interchangably.

However, if you look at your application for the permit >>> Minnesota Statewide Permit to Carry a Pistol Application.and the permit itself, it specifically states “Pistol”. Lastly, it really don’t matter what the law says, it’s what your issuing Sheriff says. Call him up and ask.

-J.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

From the Washington County Sheriff’s Office:

The Commander in charge today said. “This is a grey area. Each County has the right to decide whether long guns are covered under this law. Washington County’s stance is that they are not”.

Note this is from Washington Co. and may or may not be the policy in your Co.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

From the Washington County Sheriff’s Office:

The Commander in charge today said. “This is a grey area. Each County has the right to decide whether long guns are covered under this law. Washington County’s stance is that they are not”.

Note this is from Washington Co. and may or may not be the policy in your Co.

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

Ramsey County too!

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

Ramsey County too!

gjk1970
    Annandale Mn.

Wright and Stearns county as well.

gjk1970
    Annandale Mn.

Wright and Stearns county as well.

aquajoe
    Minnetonka, MN.

Quote:

Lastly, it really don’t matter what the law says, it’s what your issuing Sheriff says. Call him up and ask.

-J.

Hmmn I am not sure that it matters what your issuing sheriff thinks.

I would think that the sheriff where you are at when questioned or stopped would matter more.
    example: If the issuing Sheriff in Rice County say’s it’s ok and you are in Ramsey County and that Sheriff says NO which do you think is going to matter more?

aquajoe
    Minnetonka, MN.

Quote:

Lastly, it really don’t matter what the law says, it’s what your issuing Sheriff says. Call him up and ask.

-J.

Hmmn I am not sure that it matters what your issuing sheriff thinks.

I would think that the sheriff where you are at when questioned or stopped would matter more.
    example: If the issuing Sheriff in Rice County say’s it’s ok and you are in Ramsey County and that Sheriff says NO which do you think is going to matter more?

nick
    Lakeville, MN

OK I found a bit more….

I’ll agree this is a shade of grey too, and from my point of view it’s legal, that being said I’m not sure I’d want to be the test case.

This is more of an issue that the DNR thinks thier rules overrule the state law, but we should all know it doesn’t work that way.

624.7181 RIFLES AND SHOTGUNS IN PUBLIC PLACES

Quote:

624.7181 RIFLES AND SHOTGUNS IN PUBLIC PLACES.

Subdivision 1. Definitions. For purposes of this section, the following terms have the

meanings given them.

(a) “BB gun” means a device that fires or ejects a shot measuring .18 of an inch or less in

diameter.

(b) “Carry” does not include:

(1) the carrying of a BB gun, rifle, or shotgun to, from, or at a place where firearms are

repaired, bought, sold, traded, or displayed, or where hunting, target shooting, or other lawful

activity involving firearms occurs, or at funerals, parades, or other lawful ceremonies;

(2) the carrying by a person of a BB gun, rifle, or shotgun that is unloaded and in a gun

case expressly made to contain a firearm, if the case fully encloses the firearm by being zipped,

snapped, buckled, tied, or otherwise fastened, and no portion of the firearm is exposed;

(3) the carrying of a BB gun, rifle, or shotgun by a person who has a permit under section

624.714;

Again this law doesn’t specify between pistol and or anything else as far as legal for carry, I’m not sure it should, because there isn’t a whole of lot of a difference.

In case you didn’t notice those are links to the statutes too.

BTW MN permit holders if you don’t know about the twincitiescarry forum, you are missing out, lots of very, very good info and people there. http://www.twincitiescarry.com/forum/index.php

This is the thread I found the supporting info I posted above. Click here

nick
    Lakeville, MN

OK I found a bit more….

I’ll agree this is a shade of grey too, and from my point of view it’s legal, that being said I’m not sure I’d want to be the test case.

This is more of an issue that the DNR thinks thier rules overrule the state law, but we should all know it doesn’t work that way.

624.7181 RIFLES AND SHOTGUNS IN PUBLIC PLACES

Quote:

624.7181 RIFLES AND SHOTGUNS IN PUBLIC PLACES.

Subdivision 1. Definitions. For purposes of this section, the following terms have the

meanings given them.

(a) “BB gun” means a device that fires or ejects a shot measuring .18 of an inch or less in

diameter.

(b) “Carry” does not include:

(1) the carrying of a BB gun, rifle, or shotgun to, from, or at a place where firearms are

repaired, bought, sold, traded, or displayed, or where hunting, target shooting, or other lawful

activity involving firearms occurs, or at funerals, parades, or other lawful ceremonies;

(2) the carrying by a person of a BB gun, rifle, or shotgun that is unloaded and in a gun

case expressly made to contain a firearm, if the case fully encloses the firearm by being zipped,

snapped, buckled, tied, or otherwise fastened, and no portion of the firearm is exposed;

(3) the carrying of a BB gun, rifle, or shotgun by a person who has a permit under section

624.714;

Again this law doesn’t specify between pistol and or anything else as far as legal for carry, I’m not sure it should, because there isn’t a whole of lot of a difference.

In case you didn’t notice those are links to the statutes too.

BTW MN permit holders if you don’t know about the twincitiescarry forum, you are missing out, lots of very, very good info and people there. http://www.twincitiescarry.com/forum/index.php

This is the thread I found the supporting info I posted above. Click here

Viewing 17 posts - 31 through 47 (of 47 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.