backseat gun rest?

• aaronr
    Dundee, Iowa

i was just looking in the cableas xmas mad and i noticed this “backseat gun rest” back seat gun rest and i thought how would this work, i thought in iowa our guns had to be in a case when in a truck? and i dont see how this would work? just thought i would get some comments about this. i think it should be off market. maybe in other states you dont need a case.

-Aaron

lenny_jamison
    Bay City , WI

You are correct. There are some states that do not require a firearm to be cased in a vehicle.
    I know a guy who when he goes west for elk keeps his rifle strapped to the dash of his suburban.

lenny_jamison
    Bay City , WI

You are correct. There are some states that do not require a firearm to be cased in a vehicle.
    I know a guy who when he goes west for elk keeps his rifle strapped to the dash of his suburban.

aaronr
    Dundee, Iowa

i dont see how this can be right? me personaly i think ever state should make people have their firearms in a case. i think if it wasnt, it would make people use their guns in an unsafe way. but thats just my 2 cents
    -Aaron

aaronr
    Dundee, Iowa

i dont see how this can be right? me personaly i think ever state should make people have their firearms in a case. i think if it wasnt, it would make people use their guns in an unsafe way. but thats just my 2 cents
    -Aaron

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Arron, back when I was duck and pheasent hunting in central MN, I had my shotgun in the gun rack in the back window of my pickup…cased of course. Everyone did…but then we realized that having your gun in a “picture” window wasn’t a good idea!

Keep in mind that places as close as South Dakota have miles of ….well prairie dog land. Having your guns out side of a case is no big deal. Most places there isn’t anyone around..to really care one way or another.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Arron, back when I was duck and pheasent hunting in central MN, I had my shotgun in the gun rack in the back window of my pickup…cased of course. Everyone did…but then we realized that having your gun in a “picture” window wasn’t a good idea!

Keep in mind that places as close as South Dakota have miles of ….well prairie dog land. Having your guns out side of a case is no big deal. Most places there isn’t anyone around..to really care one way or another.

papajon
    Grand Island Ne

Here in Ne. You dont need a case but the gun can not be loaded.

papajon
    Grand Island Ne

Here in Ne. You dont need a case but the gun can not be loaded.

nick
    Lakeville, MN

As it appears you could do this in MN with a permit to carry, atleast that’s what I was told, of course there a plenty of reasons not to, and I wouldn’t expect the DNR to like it, think test case and thousands of dollars to prove you’re in the right.

nick
    Lakeville, MN

As it appears you could do this in MN with a permit to carry, atleast that’s what I was told, of course there a plenty of reasons not to, and I wouldn’t expect the DNR to like it, think test case and thousands of dollars to prove you’re in the right.

aquajoe
    Minnetonka, MN.

Hmm I had heard the same thing. If you have a carry permit is does not need to cased but cannot be loaded. We were told that in our carry permit class.

If someone knows all the details to this please speak up.

aquajoe
    Minnetonka, MN.

Hmm I had heard the same thing. If you have a carry permit is does not need to cased but cannot be loaded. We were told that in our carry permit class.

If someone knows all the details to this please speak up.

rvrat
    st cloud,mn

aquajo..permit to carry only applies to HANDGUN…not longgun…having the permit to carry does not allow you to carry a longgun uncased in the state of mn unless you are a licensed peace officer…now like briank said….go to south dakota and you can have the longgun on your lap…loaded…just not one in the chamber…you couldnt pay me enough to be a cop out there

rvrat
    st cloud,mn

aquajo..permit to carry only applies to HANDGUN…not longgun…having the permit to carry does not allow you to carry a longgun uncased in the state of mn unless you are a licensed peace officer…now like briank said….go to south dakota and you can have the longgun on your lap…loaded…just not one in the chamber…you couldnt pay me enough to be a cop out there

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

I would have to look at the laws again, but I’m almost sure that the MN Permit to Carry law does not make a distintion between long gun or hand gun.

…although driving around at night with a loaded long gun and a spot light will surely have the DNR frowning.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

I would have to look at the laws again, but I’m almost sure that the MN Permit to Carry law does not make a distintion between long gun or hand gun.

…although driving around at night with a loaded long gun and a spot light will surely have the DNR frowning.

rvrat
    st cloud,mn

629.714 “pistol”

rvrat
    st cloud,mn

629.714 “pistol”

High_Cap
    St. Paul MN

I’ll see if I can dig up any info.
    Just stick with a pistol and you’ll be fine. The DNR has not ruled on many of the carry issues.

High_Cap
    St. Paul MN

I’ll see if I can dig up any info.
    Just stick with a pistol and you’ll be fine. The DNR has not ruled on many of the carry issues.

rvrat
    st cloud,mn

rvrat
    st cloud,mn

reever_1
    Rochester Minnesota

Almost positive no uncased long guns with your permit to carry

reever_1
    Rochester Minnesota

Almost positive no uncased long guns with your permit to carry

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

After reading the law… >the law<

It’s clear…that it’s un clear! The term “pistol” and “firearm” seem to be used interchangable.

Here’s just one example:

“(d) Nothing contained in any provision of this section or
    any other law requires or authorizes the registration,
    documentation, collection, or providing of serial numbers or
    other data on firearms or on firearms’ owners.”

Although this maybe a stretch. I’ve always refered to a semi auto handgun as a pistol and a revolver as a revolver…not to confuse the issue.

The only thing I know for sure is that i wouldn’t want to be caught running around the country side with a loaded slug gun during deer season!

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

After reading the law… >the law<

It’s clear…that it’s un clear! The term “pistol” and “firearm” seem to be used interchangable.

Here’s just one example:

“(d) Nothing contained in any provision of this section or
    any other law requires or authorizes the registration,
    documentation, collection, or providing of serial numbers or
    other data on firearms or on firearms’ owners.”

Although this maybe a stretch. I’ve always refered to a semi auto handgun as a pistol and a revolver as a revolver…not to confuse the issue.

The only thing I know for sure is that i wouldn’t want to be caught running around the country side with a loaded slug gun during deer season!

gjk1970
    Annandale Mn.

I just called my instructor and Minnesota changed the law a few years back that it is unlawful for a person with a permit to carry to carry a uncased long gun, now the person can carry a long gun loaded with a permit if out walking around but when in transport in a vehicle the gun must be unloaded and cased. Carrying a long gun with a permit to carry is not the most adviseable way to carry. Just like todays permits to carry does not make it mandatory for it to be concealed but most law enforcement agents would prefer the cowboys to keep them concealed. I would prefer not seeing every Joe Blow out there walking around Walmart with a gun exposed..
    Just keep it simple and keep it concealed.

gjk1970
    Annandale Mn.

I just called my instructor and Minnesota changed the law a few years back that it is unlawful for a person with a permit to carry to carry a uncased long gun, now the person can carry a long gun loaded with a permit if out walking around but when in transport in a vehicle the gun must be unloaded and cased. Carrying a long gun with a permit to carry is not the most adviseable way to carry. Just like todays permits to carry does not make it mandatory for it to be concealed but most law enforcement agents would prefer the cowboys to keep them concealed. I would prefer not seeing every Joe Blow out there walking around Walmart with a gun exposed..
    Just keep it simple and keep it concealed.

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

I am absolutely, 100% certain the permit to carry applies to “Handguns” only. Brian, pull out your permit and read the first line. “State of Minnesota Permit to Carry a Pistol”. The permit in no way, shape or form applies to long guns.

-J.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 47 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.