Alaska Caribou Hunt

• kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

Anyone here have any experience hunting caribou in Alaska? I’m trying to plan a trip for the fall of 2007. Archery only. If anyone is interested in joining me, I’d sure like a partner.

What areas are good starting places? Any good outfitters that offer “do it yourself” kind of hunts. I’d just like to be dropped off in the tundra and picked up at the end of the day sort of thing.

Thanks!!

bluefin
    Farmington, MN

I don’t know anything personally but you might want to do a search on Bowsite.com. I got some good info for bear hunting from that site.

bluefin
    Farmington, MN

I don’t know anything personally but you might want to do a search on Bowsite.com. I got some good info for bear hunting from that site.

kwkfsh

The easiest and most accessable herd would probably be the Mulchatna herd out of Dillingham.

You might look at doing a float trip on the Mulchatna river. This would allow you to possibly stalk a caribou along the river rather than out on the open tundra.

You need to remember that you cannot hunt in Alaska on any day you have been in an airplane. This makes being dropped off for the day impossible. Since caribou roam over areas larger than most states aircraft are the preferred method of travel.

The last time I priced out a Beaver on floats it was about $800.00 an hr. and that was a number of years ago. When you figure that you are paying for airtime both ways on each trip it can get pretty expensive pretty fast.

A float will let you cover alot of ground, access Bear and Moose, enjoy some great fishing and allow you to have more gear.

kwkfsh

The easiest and most accessable herd would probably be the Mulchatna herd out of Dillingham.

You might look at doing a float trip on the Mulchatna river. This would allow you to possibly stalk a caribou along the river rather than out on the open tundra.

You need to remember that you cannot hunt in Alaska on any day you have been in an airplane. This makes being dropped off for the day impossible. Since caribou roam over areas larger than most states aircraft are the preferred method of travel.

The last time I priced out a Beaver on floats it was about $800.00 an hr. and that was a number of years ago. When you figure that you are paying for airtime both ways on each trip it can get pretty expensive pretty fast.

A float will let you cover alot of ground, access Bear and Moose, enjoy some great fishing and allow you to have more gear.

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

The Brooks Range.
    Enough said.
    Let’s talk. I have connections.
    Tuck

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

The Brooks Range.
    Enough said.
    Let’s talk. I have connections.
    Tuck

kooty
    Keymaster

Thanks guys!! I just ordered a book that talks about all the Alaskan herds, things to expect for the first timer etc… Once I find someone to read it to me, I’ll ask more appropriate questions.

kooty
    Keymaster

Thanks guys!! I just ordered a book that talks about all the Alaskan herds, things to expect for the first timer etc… Once I find someone to read it to me, I’ll ask more appropriate questions.

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

Kooty, your Velcro gloves will work well on the slow ones too!

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

Kooty, your Velcro gloves will work well on the slow ones too!

eyejacker
    Hudson, Wisconsin

And to think some would believe that the Klingons were merely fictional Star Wars characters!

eyejacker
    Hudson, Wisconsin

And to think some would believe that the Klingons were merely fictional Star Wars characters!

emover
    Malcom, IA

Captains Log stardate….. Where the nights were cold and the Caribou were nervous

dave

emover
    Malcom, IA

Captains Log stardate….. Where the nights were cold and the Caribou were nervous

dave

eyejacker
    Hudson, Wisconsin

Quote:

dave

Yes indeed, as well they should be!

eyejacker
    Hudson, Wisconsin

Quote:

dave

Yes indeed, as well they should be!

eyejacker
    Hudson, Wisconsin

It would terrorize any caribou, feeling stalked, to look back and see one (or both) of these gloved ones so close on its tail!

eyejacker
    Hudson, Wisconsin

It would terrorize any caribou, feeling stalked, to look back and see one (or both) of these gloved ones so close on its tail!

troy seelhammer
    Chatfield, Mn

I may be in for that trip- that is far enough away that I can get permission now from the boss and actually put some money away too. PM me with your phone #… etc. I would love to do this.

troy seelhammer
    Chatfield, Mn

I may be in for that trip- that is far enough away that I can get permission now from the boss and actually put some money away too. PM me with your phone #… etc. I would love to do this.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.