Question; Steel shot in 20 ga. full choke gun?

• elheldt
    N E Iowa

I just bought a 30 year old Ithaca mod. 37 20 guage full choke. can I use steel Shot with a full choke? I have had a mod. 37 12 ga. with poly for 48 years and love the model 37. Wanted to downsize this year acct just entering the seventh decade of life.

crosby-stick
    Crosby MN

no steel with full choke take to gun smith have them open it up shouldn’t cost much

crosby-stick
    Crosby MN

no steel with full choke take to gun smith have them open it up shouldn’t cost much

elheldt
    N E Iowa

Thanks for the reply. It seems like an awful thin walled barrel. Do they have to take much out? The gun is in pristeen condition. My brother probably never used it more than ten times.

elheldt
    N E Iowa

Thanks for the reply. It seems like an awful thin walled barrel. Do they have to take much out? The gun is in pristeen condition. My brother probably never used it more than ten times.

fish4blue
    Holmen, WI

you could call the gunsmith first. my 20 is 30 yrs. old and has a full choke shot ducks only when i wanted it to. i shot better with a full choke though, even in my 12.

fish4blue
    Holmen, WI

you could call the gunsmith first. my 20 is 30 yrs. old and has a full choke shot ducks only when i wanted it to. i shot better with a full choke though, even in my 12.

david_scott
    Twin Cities

Them old gun barrels arent made for steel shot. I had an old Sears and Robuck(browning) gun that was a full choke that I used for the 1st year of the steel shot waterfowl hunting… needless to say, the barrel was destroyed. It ended up having a bunch of lines running up the inside of the barrel.. I am probably lucky the barrel didnt fail on me.

You have a good gun.. for putting bird shot in it and hunting grouse and rabbits(lead).

david_scott
    Twin Cities

Them old gun barrels arent made for steel shot. I had an old Sears and Robuck(browning) gun that was a full choke that I used for the 1st year of the steel shot waterfowl hunting… needless to say, the barrel was destroyed. It ended up having a bunch of lines running up the inside of the barrel.. I am probably lucky the barrel didnt fail on me.

You have a good gun.. for putting bird shot in it and hunting grouse and rabbits(lead).

ferny
    Stillwater, MN

I wouldn’t recommend it. My brother ruined my dad’s old Rem 870 12ga full choke by doing just that. It now has a bulge in it. Remington sent out $20 payments to anybody that had older ones about 8-10 years ago to go towards replacement barrels. I should have bought a replacement then. now they cost as much as a new 870 express! Anybody got an old 870 barrel laying around you want to get rid of? I would like to use dad’s old gun for nostalgia sake.

Ferny

ferny
    Stillwater, MN

I wouldn’t recommend it. My brother ruined my dad’s old Rem 870 12ga full choke by doing just that. It now has a bulge in it. Remington sent out $20 payments to anybody that had older ones about 8-10 years ago to go towards replacement barrels. I should have bought a replacement then. now they cost as much as a new 870 express! Anybody got an old 870 barrel laying around you want to get rid of? I would like to use dad’s old gun for nostalgia sake.

Ferny

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.