Mossburg 500 users ??

• prieser
    Byron, MN

I just bought a new 500 with a scope. It was bore sighted and ready to get sighted in. But….when I took it out to sight it in, I could not get a pattern to save my a**. Now I have a sore shoulder and need to re-bore sight in the gun. I was using federal sabots. I have heard that the Winchester supreame’s are the way to go. Any input??

jetro
    Mayer, MN

The scope on mine broke right away, and then I broke the next one I upgraded too. I had pretty good luck with lightfield sabots.

jetro
    Mayer, MN

The scope on mine broke right away, and then I broke the next one I upgraded too. I had pretty good luck with lightfield sabots.

tiggerman_68

I had one I won at a DU banquet, came with both barrels. Put a 4X weaver scope on and my fully rifled barrel and spent $50 on 5 boxes of different slugs to see what shot best. Never could put 2 within 6″ of each other. What I found out was the barrel has the screw that goes into the magazine which is different than browning or remington. It is virtually impossible to get that hand screw tight enough by hand to keep the barrel from moving after every shot. Try tightening it with a pliers or vice grips. It’ll help but I never could get mine to quit “wandering”.

tiggerman_68

I had one I won at a DU banquet, came with both barrels. Put a 4X weaver scope on and my fully rifled barrel and spent $50 on 5 boxes of different slugs to see what shot best. Never could put 2 within 6″ of each other. What I found out was the barrel has the screw that goes into the magazine which is different than browning or remington. It is virtually impossible to get that hand screw tight enough by hand to keep the barrel from moving after every shot. Try tightening it with a pliers or vice grips. It’ll help but I never could get mine to quit “wandering”.

newt
    Pillager, MN

Try some different slugs. They all seem to shoot different in different makes of guns. Finding the best combination is the hard part.

newt
    Pillager, MN

Try some different slugs. They all seem to shoot different in different makes of guns. Finding the best combination is the hard part.

Jack Naylor
    Apple Valley, MN

I have the either 595 or 695 model, can’t think which one. the sabots are the way to go, and really like the consistency of the Federal, think it’s the Barnes something sabot. very good groups with a scope. think it was Newt who said that finding the right bullet was very important. for your gun, does take some time but worth it in the long run. good luck.
    Jack..

Jack Naylor
    Apple Valley, MN

I have the either 595 or 695 model, can’t think which one. the sabots are the way to go, and really like the consistency of the Federal, think it’s the Barnes something sabot. very good groups with a scope. think it was Newt who said that finding the right bullet was very important. for your gun, does take some time but worth it in the long run. good luck.
    Jack..

cts
    winneshiek county IA

ive been using a model 500 with a rifled barrel and a bsa red dot scope for 8 years and the best group i get is with cheap federal 3″ shells that i get at walmart and not sabots ive tried alot of diffrent shells and still go back to the federals i would suggest trying them before spending a lot of money on alot of other shells

cts
    winneshiek county IA

ive been using a model 500 with a rifled barrel and a bsa red dot scope for 8 years and the best group i get is with cheap federal 3″ shells that i get at walmart and not sabots ive tried alot of diffrent shells and still go back to the federals i would suggest trying them before spending a lot of money on alot of other shells

mike_j
    Nashua Iowa

I shoot a mossberg 500 with a smoothbore slug barrel and remington sluggers and it has a 3 to 4 inch group at 100 yards.

mike_j
    Nashua Iowa

I shoot a mossberg 500 with a smoothbore slug barrel and remington sluggers and it has a 3 to 4 inch group at 100 yards.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.