Benelli Super Black Eagle 2 or Beretta Xtrema 2??

• buckshot
    Rochester, MN

I am kicking around getting a new shotgun for myself for primarily waterfowling(ducks and geese)and possibly some pheasant/grouse. We just bought the Walleye-Brat a new Beretta AL390 20 ga to use..I have shot it a few times and REALLY like it. Even with the 3 inch mag loads the kick is really light.

I have also had the chance to put a few rounds through a Super Black Eagle and that was really nice as well. I haven’t heard much about the Xtrema 2 though since it is so new.

Anyone have any personal experience with either of the new models or their predecessors the SBE 1 and Xtrema??

No bashing please….just your personal experience would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

John

fishinallday
    Montrose Mn

I only have experience with the SBE. We have gone through atleast 3 generations of this model. It has always been bullet proof. My uncle is still shooting the very first model they made. This is a gun that i would suggest to any fowler. If you do purches this gun. Be sure not to over oil it. That is the only time we had issues.

fishinallday
    Montrose Mn

I only have experience with the SBE. We have gone through atleast 3 generations of this model. It has always been bullet proof. My uncle is still shooting the very first model they made. This is a gun that i would suggest to any fowler. If you do purches this gun. Be sure not to over oil it. That is the only time we had issues.

mossboss
    La Crescent, MN

I have a Benelli M1, it has been awesome so far. With the advent of Hevi-Shot, I personally found no need for the 3 1/2 inch chamber.

The one advantage of the Beretta is it will kick less. May be noticable after a box of 25 shells, particularly heavy 3.5 inch shells.

mossboss
    La Crescent, MN

I have a Benelli M1, it has been awesome so far. With the advent of Hevi-Shot, I personally found no need for the 3 1/2 inch chamber.

The one advantage of the Beretta is it will kick less. May be noticable after a box of 25 shells, particularly heavy 3.5 inch shells.

Tonto1
    W & E Wi

Why will the Beretta kick less when it is gas operated? The Benalli is recoil or enertia operated. I would think it would be just the opposite.

Tonto1
    W & E Wi

Why will the Beretta kick less when it is gas operated? The Benalli is recoil or enertia operated. I would think it would be just the opposite.

fishinallday
    Montrose Mn

I have not used it to this point. But it sounds like they have designed the xtrema2 to be the softest kicking semi auto on the market. Not sure how they have done this though.

I can clean em and shoot em. I don’t want to know how it works. Just that it works.

fishinallday
    Montrose Mn

I have not used it to this point. But it sounds like they have designed the xtrema2 to be the softest kicking semi auto on the market. Not sure how they have done this though.

I can clean em and shoot em. I don’t want to know how it works. Just that it works.

mossboss
    La Crescent, MN

All gas operated kick less, well for sure have less “perceived recoil” because the gas bleeds off a small amount of the energy, and spreads the recoil over a longer period of time, making it more of a push than a shove.

My old Browning Gold kicked less than my Benelli for sure, though weight and other factors play into it.

mossboss
    La Crescent, MN

All gas operated kick less, well for sure have less “perceived recoil” because the gas bleeds off a small amount of the energy, and spreads the recoil over a longer period of time, making it more of a push than a shove.

My old Browning Gold kicked less than my Benelli for sure, though weight and other factors play into it.

Tonto1
    W & E Wi

Actually its just the opposite. The recoil operated absorbs the recoil where as the gas operated assits the recoil. Just like shooting a over and under, there is nothing to absorb the recoil.

Tonto1
    W & E Wi

Actually its just the opposite. The recoil operated absorbs the recoil where as the gas operated assits the recoil. Just like shooting a over and under, there is nothing to absorb the recoil.

mossboss
    La Crescent, MN

No, it’s just the opposite of what you are saying. I have read it about 1000 times and felt it with my own shoulder. If I get time I’ll try and find some links.

mossboss
    La Crescent, MN

No, it’s just the opposite of what you are saying. I have read it about 1000 times and felt it with my own shoulder. If I get time I’ll try and find some links.

Tonto1
    W & E Wi

The articles don’t say anything about gas operated having less recoil than enertia. The Beretta has gas dampening and gell pads which aid in absorging the recoil. It claims to have less recoil.

As far has personal opinion the SBE has very little recoil. I can’t say the Browning has less. The original Belguim ones were recoil operated.

Tonto1
    W & E Wi

The articles don’t say anything about gas operated having less recoil than enertia. The Beretta has gas dampening and gell pads which aid in absorging the recoil. It claims to have less recoil.

As far has personal opinion the SBE has very little recoil. I can’t say the Browning has less. The original Belguim ones were recoil operated.

mossboss
    La Crescent, MN

The difference in actual recoil is probably none to very little (maybe a tiny bit of energy bled off but maybe not measureable. But almost every source says gas-operated guns have less FELT recoil.

From article 3:

Example: Most people feel that a gas operated semi-automatic kicks less than an O/U of equal weight using the same shell. Yet the formula has them both producing the same amount of free recoil, so how can this be? Simple.
    The gas gun delivers exactly the same amount of recoil, but it does it over a much longer period of time due to the mechanism involved. The O/U gives you a punch (all the recoil at once), while the gas gun gives you a push (same recoil but delivered over more time).

Not a direct comparison to recoil operated, but says gas operated reduces recoil.

From Number 4:

With magnum loads, excess gas is vented out the lateral vents in the piston, substantially reducing felt recoil over inertia- or recoil-operated systems.

Direct as you can get statement.

From Article 5:

For comparison purposes, I shot a Super Black Eagle and a Super Black Eagle II side-by-side. The difference in felt recoil and recovery time with the Mark II was phenomenal, proving that you don’t need a gas system to tame recoil.

Why would you need a gas system to reduce recoil if a gas system didn’t reduce recoil?

A couple more, this one from http://www.sportingclays.net/forums/thread.cfm?threadid=779&messages=21

The Beretta 390, 391, Benelli, and the Browning are fantastic top of the line semi autos, you can’t go wrong with any of them. The CD is a cheap semi auto that is not even comparable to the above. Whoever said that “the 390 wasn’t so good” is spewing garbage and has no credibility. The gas operated gun(Beretta, Browning Gold) will have less recoil, and the recoil operated gun (Benelli, Browning A5) will be easier to keep clean. I don’t know if you can say which one is better, it’s more a matter of personal preference.

And a few in this post:

http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?t=659

Actually, I thought it was just a well known and accepted fact that gas guns shoot softer than recoil autos or pumps, I am surprised to even hear anyone disagree. You have any data or opinion other than yours to back up your argument? I see you have personal opinion that the SBE has very little recoil. Let me guess, do you have a Benelli SBE? I have a Benelli inertia operated gun, I think it is a great gun and would easily buy another. Does that mean it can’t have any negatives?

mossboss
    La Crescent, MN

The difference in actual recoil is probably none to very little (maybe a tiny bit of energy bled off but maybe not measureable. But almost every source says gas-operated guns have less FELT recoil.

From article 3:

Example: Most people feel that a gas operated semi-automatic kicks less than an O/U of equal weight using the same shell. Yet the formula has them both producing the same amount of free recoil, so how can this be? Simple.
    The gas gun delivers exactly the same amount of recoil, but it does it over a much longer period of time due to the mechanism involved. The O/U gives you a punch (all the recoil at once), while the gas gun gives you a push (same recoil but delivered over more time).

Not a direct comparison to recoil operated, but says gas operated reduces recoil.

From Number 4:

With magnum loads, excess gas is vented out the lateral vents in the piston, substantially reducing felt recoil over inertia- or recoil-operated systems.

Direct as you can get statement.

From Article 5:

For comparison purposes, I shot a Super Black Eagle and a Super Black Eagle II side-by-side. The difference in felt recoil and recovery time with the Mark II was phenomenal, proving that you don’t need a gas system to tame recoil.

Why would you need a gas system to reduce recoil if a gas system didn’t reduce recoil?

A couple more, this one from http://www.sportingclays.net/forums/thread.cfm?threadid=779&messages=21

The Beretta 390, 391, Benelli, and the Browning are fantastic top of the line semi autos, you can’t go wrong with any of them. The CD is a cheap semi auto that is not even comparable to the above. Whoever said that “the 390 wasn’t so good” is spewing garbage and has no credibility. The gas operated gun(Beretta, Browning Gold) will have less recoil, and the recoil operated gun (Benelli, Browning A5) will be easier to keep clean. I don’t know if you can say which one is better, it’s more a matter of personal preference.

And a few in this post:

http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?t=659

Actually, I thought it was just a well known and accepted fact that gas guns shoot softer than recoil autos or pumps, I am surprised to even hear anyone disagree. You have any data or opinion other than yours to back up your argument? I see you have personal opinion that the SBE has very little recoil. Let me guess, do you have a Benelli SBE? I have a Benelli inertia operated gun, I think it is a great gun and would easily buy another. Does that mean it can’t have any negatives?

smp500
    Duluth MN

Buy a Ruger Gold Label and forget about Ducks………..lean more to the grouse/pheasants (your dog will thank you)

smp500
    Duluth MN

Buy a Ruger Gold Label and forget about Ducks………..lean more to the grouse/pheasants (your dog will thank you)

buckshot
    Rochester, MN

No dog to worry about.
    Thanks for the input. I am still up in the air…the perceived recoil makes sense since it is stretched over a slightly longer period of time.
    I am going to talk to a couple gun dealers and see if I can get some more details…I am also going to check them out side by side and see which one feels better.

buckshot
    Rochester, MN

No dog to worry about.
    Thanks for the input. I am still up in the air…the perceived recoil makes sense since it is stretched over a slightly longer period of time.
    I am going to talk to a couple gun dealers and see if I can get some more details…I am also going to check them out side by side and see which one feels better.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

MB is right. Gas operated kick less. Inertia more. Known fact and I do have both. I’m including a link as well if you want more supporting information. It’s from Remington and I would say they know a thing or two.

http://www.remington.com/NR/exeres/000015c3txxhtgtilkvmvdtq/support.asp?NRMODE=Published&NRORIGINALURL=%2Fsupport%2Fshotgun%2Fshotselect2.htm&NRNODEGUID={163FD8C8-B4EA-4D84-87AC-92FA04018736}&NRQUERYTERMINATOR=1&cookie_test=1

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

MB is right. Gas operated kick less. Inertia more. Known fact and I do have both. I’m including a link as well if you want more supporting information. It’s from Remington and I would say they know a thing or two.

http://www.remington.com/NR/exeres/000015c3txxhtgtilkvmvdtq/support.asp?NRMODE=Published&NRORIGINALURL=%2Fsupport%2Fshotgun%2Fshotselect2.htm&NRNODEGUID={163FD8C8-B4EA-4D84-87AC-92FA04018736}&NRQUERYTERMINATOR=1&cookie_test=1

mossboss
    La Crescent, MN

Quote:

In all honesty, this is the most important thing. Fit is what matters most. The Extrema just didn’t fit me well, nor do Remington’s 11-87’s. The Bennelli’s and the Brownings/Winchester are much better for me. You got to hold em and swing em to know.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 51 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.