Plot Watcher Reviews

• flatlandfowler
    SC/SW MN

Here is the info I gathered on the two new ‘plotwatching’ cameras I purchased. Hopefully some of you find this useful, and hopefully the video, pics in last thread work.

Plot Stalker by Moultrie

8.0 Megapixel camera
    4 photo resolution options
    Time and Date stamp on every photo
    Picture Delays: 10s 30s 1m 5m 10m 15m 30m 1h 3h 6h and 1d options
    Up to 4 daily on/off cycles
    Infinite options for on/off cycles
    LCD screen displays camera settings/options
    Supports 32GB SD cards
    4AA batteries
    External power port
    Includes mounting strap, USB Cable, and viewing software
    Play (1x-8x options) pause, rewind, next/previous paused photo, zoom in and out
    Software requires PC with Windows XP/Vista/7

Plot Watcher by Day 6

1280 x 720 HD
    3 photo resolution options
    Time and Date stamp on every photo
    Picture Delays: 5 and 10 second
    On/off delays: 6 preset, plus custom option that is self set
    Supports USB drives
    4AA batteries
    Includes mounting post, bungy, and viewing software
    Play (1x-5x options) pause, rewind, next/previous paused photo, zoom in and out
    Software requires PC with Windows XP/Vista/7

flatlandfowler
    SC/SW MN

Plot Stalker by Moultrie- $100 at local Gander

Camera is solid black and about the size of two cuddeback captures stacked on top of each other. LCD screen allows for very simple, in field set up. Set up is self explanatory and could be completed without reading directions. Many choices for photo delays is great and the user is allowed to select the time the camera starts, midday skips, and shuts off. Camera supports 32GB cards, however a 16GB is $45 alone. Ran camera for 4 days and only 3% of battery life remained. The software that is included displays photos as a video. Viewing of photos, even at 8x, is slow. A guy can count faster than the program can switch between photos. This software does not convert photos into a video, however just reads the photos and displays them in a ‘video player’ format.

Personally I think the major pluses of this camera are the near endless options for photo delay, on/off cycles, and super simple set up. The camera does take great pictures, as long as it is sunny. The major draw back of this camera are that it eat batteries in 4 days, requires spendy SD cards, slow viewing software, and most importantly is very poor photo quality in shade. Even a small cloud the middle of the afternoon will result in multiple pictures where your plot and background will appear nearly black.

Plot Watcher by Day 6- $180 at local Gander

Camera is camo and a little smaller than a Cuddeback Attack. Set up requires installation of software first. Then a USB drive is inserted and set up is conducted through the software on the computer. The set up is very simple, however is not an in-the-field operation. I ran this camera for 6 days and was still running when I pulled the cam. I do no recall having the choice of setting when the camera turns on and off for the day, just on/off midday skip. The custom options are limited in comparison to the Moultrie. However, the viewing software allows for 1-5x veiwing. The 3x option is very fast, not to mention 4 and 5.

Personally I think the disadvantages of this camera are the computer driven set up, limited midday skip options, and mounting options. The post is set up for a circular mounting piece at the bottom of the camera, and the camera does not have a designated potion to attach the bungy. The post is very short and a multiple ‘friction fit’ post made of plastic. Also (unless my memory serves me wrong) there is no option for when the camera turns on or off, light driven and skipped my real low light mornings and evenings. The advatages of this camera are the quality resolution pictures, quality pictures even in shade, great viewing speeds, and capacity to convert photos into both .TLV and .WMV videos. Furthermore, you can select groups of photos (user designated 50, 100, 200 sets) to convert to video to share.

Overall, for my personal use and ideas on how I will utilize these cameras, I will not be buying another Moultrie. The cloud cover hampering this camera is not acceptable to me regardless to how much I like the set up multitude of setup options.

flatlandfowler
    SC/SW MN

Screen Capture of small 2 year old that was 25-30 yards from Moultrie camera. No video upload capability for this camera.

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

Excellent info!! I can’t wait to get one of these up on our plots in SD next spring.

qdm4life
    Albertville, MN

Thanks for doing the leg work Fowler

todders
    Shoreview, MN

Thank you fowler! That is a good report, why is it the cheaper stuff is never as good ? Is there a battery indicator on the plot 6? How was the pic quality if you pause the video and zoom in? And let’s not forget, those are some great looking beans . Thanks for sharing

flatlandfowler
    SC/SW MN

Quote:

Thank you fowler! That is a good report, why is it the cheaper stuff is never as good ? Is there a battery indicator on the plot 6? How was the pic quality if you pause the video and zoom in? And let’s not forget, those are some great looking beans . Thanks for sharing

I hear ya, I was really wanting the Moultrie to be the ticket. I really liked this camera, just cant afford going to the plots every 4 days nor will I spend money on videos that are pitch black at noon! The plot watcher does not have a % battery indicator. The front of this camera is 1 button, the lense, and three small indicator lights. One of these indicator lights is a “battery” light. When the camera is running this light blinks each time the camera takes a picture. No idea how long you have from the time the light starts till it powers down. The picture quality on both cameras is pretty good and of equal quality to each other. The zoom in is decent, I would say you can count tines on an average buck probably around 2 times further away than your average trail camera. Kind of depends on how fast the deer is moving (just like trail cams where you can get that blurriness on racks at distance when the deer is moving quickly). The deer that walks through the video right away is probably 60-70 yards from cam.

Thanks for the compliments on the beans. The videos has Ag beans in it, and the background of that pic is some of my eagle seed.

Brad Juaire
    Maple Grove, MN

Thanks for the thorough review!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.