scope for 17 HMR

• mike_j
    Nashua Iowa

Just bought a new savage model 93 17 HMR. I basicaly bought this gun as a target gun plan to shoot it from a bench. I am thinking of getting a tactical scope with turrets that is set up for 17 and 22 mag rifles with variable power that is fairly high. Just looking for opinions on brands, power, and retical.

life1978
    Eau Claire , WI

If you’re going to spend the money. I suggest the Shepherds scopes. They work great. I have two of them. One on my .22lr and one on my .308 The 2 shot zero is great. Check em out. http://www.shepherdscopes.com

robby
    Quad Cities

I have the same rifle and love it. I have consistently hit 13 stripe groud squirrels at better than 100 yards off of shooting sticks. Best to top it with quality steel rings, ie Leupold, and a quality 3-9X40mm. I have a 2-8x32mm on mine and with I had just a bit more power. You will love your rig. Not a fancy rifle, but a shooter. Mine shoots the 17gr. V-max the best. Enjoy your new “toy”!

mike_j
    Nashua Iowa

Thanks for the info guys and yes I do plan to spend the money on good optics. Can’t wait for the gun to come in couldn’t find the one I wanted so I ordered it supposed to be here monday. All reports Ive read say savage is the most acurate 17 on the market. And I love the triggers on them.

Brad Juaire
    Maple Grove, MN

Congrats on your new 17 HMR! Please provide us an update and a review once you’ve had a chance to field test it. Good luck!

whittsend

I have the Savage Model 93R17-BTVS… I put a Monarch 4.5 – 14x scope on it, and I am very happy with it (although I don’t shoot the gun as much as I should / would like)…

Nice clear sight picture, and very accurate. Like previously stated, striped gophers at 100 yds is pretty common.

My buddy has a much more expensive ANSCHÜTZ rifle that I think he had trigger work done (or maybe it came that way.. not sure)… The Savage trigger isn’t quite as good as his, but its close… Much better than other stock triggers out there, anyway.

Depending on your budget, I generally shoot Nikon and mostly Leupold scopes. I have been very happy with my VX-III’s on my larger rifles.

The Monarch that’s currently on the 17 HMR works very well for a reasonably affordable price. On a good rest and due to the extreme low recoil of the .17, I can usually “watch” the bullet make shockwaves in the air…. For an instant I’ll see a rippling effect moving outwards from the bullets path… Very cool indeed!!!

I don’t think you can go wrong with most of today’s well respected scope mnf’s.

Mike

whittsend

BTW, with the .17, wind drift is probably as big or bigger of a factor than bullet drop. Any shots past 100 yards will really start to drift on you in a crosswind. Out to 150 or 200+ and you’ve got at least 3 major issues to deal with 1) drop compensation 2) wind drift compensation 3) energy depletion.

energy depletion shouldn’t matter much if its just target shooting, but if you hunt fox/yotes you’ll want to keep that in mind.

If you will be shooting in many various conditions, you might want to consider something like Leupold’s varmint reticle or B&C reticle. It has both drop and wind hash marks for compensation. Maybe a little overkill for a .17, but something to consider. Keep in mind that to use these reticles appropriately, you’ll need to spend plenty of time at the range – they aren’t simply “quick fix” compensation devices, and they need to be tailored to your gun/you….

Of course, practice with your setup and knowing the gun’s and your limitations always apply…

Mike

mike_j
    Nashua Iowa

Thanks for the info. A buddy of mine built a shooting range and a bench and we plan to spend a bunch of time shooting. The model I ordered is the 93R17 BSEV. I like the idea of the wind drift and the drop marks I will definitly take a look at that.

whittsend

While your at it, you might consider building another bench (I assume you buddy built only one bench…) Depending on that bench’s size and stability, a second bench is nice in that it will be totally independant of the first and have zero carry-over instability when two shooters are plinking away.

Here is what looks to be a nice, solid set of bench plans that I found online this winter. I plan on building two or three of these this summer at a range that my friend and I put up at his place. We previously have shot off of anything from the ground to wobbly card tables. This bench should be head and shoulders above what we are used to…

http://www.horstguns.com/ShootingBench.htm

Good luck!

Mike

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.