Rifle Options

• ses
    Mayer, MN

Guys:

I got an e-mail from a buddy of mine this morning asking me about buying a rifle.It has been awhile since I have had to search for a rifle being I just bought one a couple 3 years ago, but was wondering if anyone could help my buddy out.

This is going to be his first gun purchase, but I don’t want to break the bank on him. No price est. given to me, but can a guy get a decent set-up for $500 anymore? ___________________________________________________

How much would you recommend spending on a deer rifle (with scope)? I dont need anything special, just your average rifle. What brand do you reccomend? I want to go deer hunting this year but I have to work both weekends so I was thinking of hunting close to home. There are quite of few deer roaming around here. The only problem is I have no gun….Any help?

big_g
    Isle, MN

I believe the 770 was built for your friend. I would suggest .270 caliber. Under $500 w/scope.

770 Remington

qdm4life
    Albertville, MN

Thompson center venture under $500 and has moa accuracy guaranteed 3 shot in an inch at 100 yards, tell him to Google it for rifle reveiws and better details

mwal
    Rosemount,MN

Savage also has some packages that would fit the bill.

Mwal

jeff_hansen

+1 on the Savage… they also make a Stevens that is a great gun for the money. I have a Stevens model 200 in .223 that is an awesome shooter. Cost me $300 bucks

big_hunter
    eagan, mn

im in the same position as your buddy. ive looked at affordable rifles a lot in the last couple months, partly cuz theres tons out there for the deer season.

ive looked at the tc venture, savage (forget the model), and remy 770.. out of the 3, i really like the TC venture. the action is smooth, quiet and handles well, the .30-06 comes with a 3 round mag. the only thing about the venture im not a fan of is the fact i cant get it in stainless… other than that, its really nice.

have him run to a gun shop and shoulder a bunch of guns to see what he likes. everyone shoots different and some models are more comfortable than others.

ses
    Mayer, MN

Thanks guys!

I did a little reading on these 3 guns and I think he has a choice to make. They are a perfect set-up for him being he is just getting into it with the rifle/scope combo. The better outfitted the gun comes the better off he will be.

Thanks again!

wade
    Cottage Grove, MN

SES — not sure if he made a decision yet, but my buddy just got his first rifle and deer rifle this year. I helped him pick out a used (barely shot) Reminton 770 and after reading reviews and such decided for the money it was a good choice, came with a scope and sling and it was a 30-06 caliber.

I took him out last Sunday to sight it in and I wasn’t sure what to expect. After shooting it it was very smooth and fired well as well as the action with maintence and oil I do not see an issue as many have said those are issues. Just my .02 on my own field report..well anyway good luck and it’s always fun shopping

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

After shooting my 30-06 this weekend I would recommend you go with something smaller. Yes, recoil. Not a problem hunting but pissed me off after 10 rounds at the range. of course I shoot with bags and not a “lead slead”. I’m definitely going smaller on my next deer rifle.

big_g
    Isle, MN

Suzuki.. I hear ya… I now shoot the Remington Managed Recoil rounds…. Love em

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Im gald you told you me that. Read about them but never thought to try them. Can you get them in stores or do you have to buy them online? I’m a swamp hunter. Sub 50 yard shots. I dont need so much horsepower but I do love pinpoint accuracy.

big_g
    Isle, MN

I pick mine up at Gander Mountain. Right by the regular rounds

ses
    Mayer, MN

No decision yet…………

Actually he is heading to Cabela’s this weekend and as luck has it the guns we have been discussing are in the flyer this week on sale. We have now added the Remington Model 700 to the list to check out as well.

Gun on sale – $30 off coupon – $40 rebate remington……..man he is really going to get a steal on a gun.

I will keep you guys posted on what he decides. Thanks again for all the comments as they have been very helpful.

whittsend

Love my Remington model 700. They claim “legendary accuracy” (for mass production rifles, anyway), and from what I have seen, the 700 has been hands down terriffic for me. Love my SPS varmint – Wouldn’t mind having an XCR either!

Good luck! Probably can’t really go wrong, no matter what you choose.

big_g
    Isle, MN

I also love my Remington 700 SPS….in 30-06 Topped with a Nikon Buckmaster 3×9 BDC

stillakid2
    Roberts, WI

Just wondering what was decided and/or purchased?

I used to sell firearms for Mills Fleet Farm so I was always surrounded by “budget” firearms and between customer feedback and some googled forums, I don’t like the Remington 770’s at all compared to the other options out there. They tend to be on the heavy side and that bolt slide is RARELY a smooth experience without some level of conditioning or reworking with the molded stock.

For a rifle/scope combo, Savage offered a nice variety of calibers for mid $400 range that had adjustable triggers, were lighter, and a whole lot smoother.

Strongly overlooked but strongly recommended is the Mossberg ATR 100 line up. At around $275, it leaves you more money for quality optics and so far, my .243 shoots amazingly well and I prefer the trigger pull over my Remington 700ADL, which is .270. I’ve read a good number of googled info and I was hard pressed to find any negative comments about this product line. I’m seriously thinking of dumping my 700ADL for an ATR 100. The wood is prettier but I’d rather have a gun with better shooting characteristics.

At $500, the Tikka T3’s are also a great rifle…..barrells are Sako produced and guaranteed accurate to 1″ at 100yds. Very light to carry, so again there’s room for optics options, but recoil can be an issue in this line.

That’s all the input I’ve got, should anyone still be working on this issue.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.