12ga O/U

• walldog
    Rochester

Stoeger Condor, is this a good choice for waterfowl hunting
    over dekes.
    I like the feel of this 12ga O/U with the 30″ barrel, it snaps into place very
    well for me.
    I like my B Nova, but would like a new gun and I have never
    shot a 12ga O/U.
    Any O/U fans have success with this style of shotgun.

big_g
    Isle, MN

walldog, a couple years ago, I looked into getting an O/U myself. After quite a bit of research, I found what I was looking for. I didn’t want to spend a fortune, but I wanted a gun that was put together good and “felt” right. I read about the CZ Redhead Deluxe in the Field and Stream issue of the Best Buys. I handled one at Gander Mountain and fell in love. The first time I shot it, I could not believe how effortless it was, to powder the clays I am by no means a trap shooter, but I sure can hit them with this gun. Also, when I got mine, it was right around $600, they have gone up a little (I suspect since winning a Best Buy nod in F & S) but I was also surprised that the price at Gander was well below MSRP. I attached the link to my O/U…. I looked at a Condor also, I just don’t think it has the attention to detail I was looking for. I plan on handing down this gun, to one of my nephews in about 30 years…. I hope. Have fun shopping

Redhead Deluxe

super_do
    St Michael, MN

I picked up a Winchester 101 Select O/U in Mossy Oak DuckBlind camo a couple weeks ago at Reeds in Walker. We had seen them up there over Labor Day weekend and they wanted $1699 for them. On Duck opener, we had to go back to Reeds to pick up some stuff my sister-inlaw had ordered and they had them for $1099. $600 off. The guy at Reeds told us Winchester offered a one time deal at the Shot Show last winter on these guns. I think Reeds ordered something like 50 of these. All I know is we walked out of there with 2 that evening. Here’s a link.

http://www.reedssports.com/Product/product.taf?_function=detail&_ID=14980&pc=573

budaman
    North Metro, MN

I don’t do much waterfowl hunting, but I did pick up a Stoeger STF 3000 last year for chasing grouse and pheasants. I absolutely love this gun. It’s a Dick’s Sporting Goods exclusive, and marketed as a Benelli STF 3000 (but it says Stoeger right on the barrel). It’s basically an upgraded condor, with a nickel/silver receiver, and vented barrels. The fit/finish of this gun also seems much better than the other Stoeger O/U’s. I also shoot on a trap and skeet league, so I put a lot of shells through it and have never had a problem. For only $399, you can’t go wrong in my opinion….

yellowdog
    Alma Wi

I have shot O/U guns from Win. Beretta, Ruger, and Browning. Of the 4 I liked the Browning best and the Ruger leastYou can find used ones pretty resonable. Since yor taking it to the swamp a few scartches won’t matter. The nice thing about 2 barrels is you can remove the duck loads and put in the goose grenades real quick. If you happen to be left handed you might have trouble adjusting to one. many have stocks that are off set cast for right handers. I have not handled one but that cz sounds interesting

whittsend

Yellowdog – Which browning model was it that you liked the best?

I have been interested in the Cynergy for a number of years (It fits perfect every time I shoulder one), but its so darn expensive. I’d like to get a nice O/U when the time is right (maybe in a few years).

Do the CZ’s, Stoeger’s, et al offer shims to adjust cast and cant?? I have seen a number of upper-end guns offer adjustment features… My Benelli SBE offers it, and I took advantage of it to customize to my shoulder. Very important feature, IMO, especially if the gun doesn’t fit right off the shelf. So many people buy guns for looks or other features, but ignore fit, which is argueably the most important aspect…

Good post!

yellowdog
    Alma Wi

I shot the Citori White Lightning for about 6 years for both ducke and pheasants.I just sold it and am currently shooting a 101 Win. I’m not hitting as well as I would like, and may go back to a Browning next year. Whittsend, I see your from Eau Claire. Scheels has a real good selection of used O/U guns. Don’t put off your purchase. Life is to short to shoot ugly guns.

whittsend

Maybe in the near(er) future I’ll have to go check them out….

I’d hate to get something toooo overly pretty (expensive), as it would be a field gun first and foremost. A nice looking shooter would be sweet, though.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.