Binos?

• deerdragger

The time has come to invest in a decent pair of binos. I’ve always limped along with cheapo-compact models and I’ve had enough. I hunt mostly big woods, and I do a lot of still hunting, so I’m thinking about something in a 8×42. Light gathering, weight, water/fog-proof and clarity are the features I’m looking for.

I’m leaning toward either Leupold Green Ring (around $300), or Bushnell Legend ($180). I have a couple of buddies who have had really good luck with the Bushnell Legends – they provide a lot for the price. But, the image quality of the Leupold is remarkable.

Are there makes/models that you guys would suggest that I look into? I’ve gotta keep it under $300.

Thanks in advance for your replies.

neusch303

Good luck in your search. My best advice is to decide on a couple of pairs of binos and then do a side by side comparison, in adverse (low light, looking into sun, through thick brush, reading small print at a distance, etc). Under $300 for binos will not get you into a quality pair.

I realize it’s out of most guys budget, but Swarovski or Leica are the only way to go. Their quality is simply unmatched when compared side by side to Leupold or Nikon.

*Disclaimer* I have Nikon and Leupold on most my rifles, but will be upgraded when I can afford to. Swarovski binos and spotting scope should be the first purchase before scopes.

robstenger
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

For the $300 price range. Make sure you check out the Nikon Monarch ATB’s.

Along with the 25 year No Fault Waranty they are hard to beat. I had one pair that I damaged and they replaced it with a new pair n questions asked. Great Customer service with great lenses for $300.

big_g
    Isle, MN

Ditto the Monarchs I looked at the Swarovskis… when I win the lottery, maybe… I couldn’t justify paying 4 x more, for what I seen

hooknfinger
    Rochester, Minnesota

300 dollars wont get you good glass…..

I spent 450 on my nikon monarch 12×56 and i feel they are more then I would ever need.

I actually hunt with my gear and cant see how anyone can tote around 2000 dollar pair of bino’s that could fall off and break. Its just not practical.

Its like the guys that buy 4 wheel drive escalades. How many of them actually go off pavement and need it. Its just a status issue.

Get the nikon monarchs, i love em!

robstenger
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

Yes, I forgot now that HNF mentioned it. The $300 was for the 10 or 12 x 42’s. Honestly for MN and WI, I like the 10×42’s. Out west I prefer the 12×42’s. The 42’s are compact enough to carry all day and not know they are there, but yet big enough to let good light in. Just MHO.

hooknfinger
    Rochester, Minnesota

You know the size of the 12×56 wasnt my favorite. i almost went with the 42’s but i wanted to be able to see farther. I sacrificed the weight and size for the power i dont hunt a lot of thick woods either tho

neusch303

Quote:

I actually hunt with my gear and cant see how anyone can tote around 2000 dollar pair of bino’s that could fall off and break. Its just not practical.

Its like the guys that buy 4 wheel drive escalades. How many of them actually go off pavement and need it. Its just a status issue.

Get the nikon monarchs, i love em!

I’d have to disagree with this. I hunt hard and my gear shows it. The Swarovski’s are well taken care of. Proper bino straps and protective covers are a must. The binos and spotting scope are on top of the mountain and bottom of the swamp with me every time. I bought them to use them and I don’t regret it for a second. They were worth every penny.

Quote:

Ditto the Monarchs I looked at the Swarovskis… when I win the lottery, maybe… I couldn’t justify paying 4 x more, for what I seen

Regarding not paying 4X for “what you saw”. I used to think the same thing until a pair of $800 Leupold’s couldn’t identify an elk at 3520 yards and the Swaravski’s not only identified it, they could tell me the sex (antlers). That was the day I decided when I get home, I was ordering the Swarovski’s.

big_g
    Isle, MN

Did them binocs shoot that Elk at 3500+ too ….

neusch303

Quote:

Did them binocs shoot that Elk at 3500+ too ….

No, but when it takes the better part of 5-6 hours to get over to that Elk. It was definitely worth the money. Quality optics can save you a lot of stalks that may not be worth the effort (to small of antlers, wrong sex, etc.) Also I’ve found that they have a use in the thick cover. It’s a lot easier to pick out antlers in the thick brush.

cougareye
    Hudson, WI

I went from a $50 pair of cheapos to the Monarchs. Most I’ve ever spent by far on binos. The upgrade was fantastic. Highly recommend the Monarchs. I’m sure the next step up will provide even more, but for now I’m satisfied with my choice of equipment vs. the cost.

Eric

whitetails4ever
    Rochester, MN

Seeing the difference going up from a $50 pair of cheapies to a $300 pair of Nikons or Leupold has the same effect if you go from a $1200 Swarovski, Leica, or Alpen down to a Nikon or Leupold. Just like anything else you get what you pair for with glass. And I agree with Ruger, you can’t compare the quality of glass, side by side, inside a large sporting goods store.

deerdragger

Thanks for the insights (pun intended). I readily acknowledge that my $300 budget doesn’t put me in the category of “good glass” – I wasn’t looking for advice as to what the best binos that money can buy are. I’ve got roughly 300 bucks to spend on binos. Despite my best efforts with the House Commander, that issue is not up for debate. I was just looking for feedback on what makes/models you guys have had experience with (in that price range). A buddy of mine has a pair of the Monarchs (10×42) and he’s been reasonably pleased with them as well.

Anyone out there have experience with the Leupold Green Ring 8×42 or 10×42? They’re roughly the same money, seem crisper in the image and are a bit lighter…

little_g
    durand WI

best way to tell is go outside on a dark hazy day with the binos side by side at least that how i test them because almost all binos look good on perfect days also sun glare dont worry about that to much in that price range i still get it bad on bright sunny days with my swarskies or how ever u spell that

neusch303

Quote:

Anyone out there have experience with the Leupold Green Ring 8×42 or 10×42? They’re roughly the same money, seem crisper in the image and are a bit lighter…

I don’t have experience with those particular models, however I have compared the Nikon Monarch scope with the Leupold VX-III. In a real world comparison, the Nikon beat out the Leupold just slightly.

My method was looking at the antlers of my 3-d bow target through brush in low light conditions and assessing the clarity of the antlers and my ability to distinguish antlers from brush. Also I tried to read the news paper hanging in a tree at various yardage in low light conditions. The more you can read determines the winner.

little_g
    durand WI

that is a good way to if the store will let u take some binos home with u but one thing is sure low light clarity is probably one of the most important thing in binos and in that price range it will probably be nikons thats just my opinion but i did have a pair of them before i upgraded and they worked fine

neusch303

Quote:

that is a good way to if the store will let u take some binos home with u but one thing is sure low light clarity is probably one of the most important thing in binos and in that price range it will probably be nikons thats just my opinion but i did have a pair of them before i upgraded and they worked fine

Don’t be afraid to ask the salesperson if you can take a couple pairs outside the store and do a comparison in low light conditions. Bring a paper and test drive the clarity. Just a thought.

little_g
    durand WI

that will definitely work hope this helps u pick out your binos—————ruger2506 have u tried any swarovski scopes out thinking about geeting one

neusch303

I haven’t tried the Swarovski scopes yet. The logic being this. By spending the money on binos and spotting scope, I’ve got the best optics to locate the animal I’m targeting at long distances. Then I stalk into shooting range where the not as great optics work just fine. Anything under 500 yards. The Nikon Monarchs do me very well for shooting. Some day, I’ll upgrade the scopes.

If I could afford it, I WOULD have them on my rifles.

little_g
    durand WI

what do u recommend for power on a spoting scope

swimingjig
    Waumandee, WI

Check out the Steiners. I love mine. Go to samplelist.com. They have some good prices right now. Good Luck!

neusch303

I recommend the 15-45X60 in cheaper models or 20-60X60 in a little higher dollar models. When you get up to a high power, you need a much better scope that is built with the proper exit pupil.

My parent’s bought me a a spotting scope that was 27-80X80. Lots of power that you cannot use, even in high light, the exit pupil was terrible. They meant well, but it now sits in my home, where it’s a novelty to look out in the hills and woods.

Test drive every scope you like and do a side by side comparison. For me, exit pupil is the most important simply because if that sucks, it does not matter how much power the scope has or how good of glass. You simply can’t use it.

Try some cheaper models, pay attention to the exit pupil and then try the Swarovski. You’ll see exactly what I mean. That’ll give you a frame of refrence. Here is a link talking about exit pupil. http://www.shootingtimes.com/optics/opticpupil_061907/

robstenger
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

Good Info Ruger!

big_g
    Isle, MN

Like mentioned, don’t compare them in the store, I picked mine up and was allowed to take them outside. It was evening, so it wasn’t high sun or anything…. The Swaro’s definitely picked up more light, but out to around 1000 yards, the Monarchs did everything I needed them too I just could not justify paying another G, for the one time out of a thousand, where I will need to spot more than 1/4 mile. Like I said, if I could afford the Swaro’s, I would have bought them, but on the budget mentioned, I would recommend the Monarchs Has anybody ever looked through the Zeiss Victory binocs ??? Heard they are “The Bomb” , should be at over $2800…

les_welch

Quote:

300 dollars wont get you good glass….. Correct, it will get you glass that isn’t bad

I spent 450 on my nikon monarch 12×56 and i feel they are more then I would ever need. Then you don’t hunt early, late, on cloudy days, or where you can see more than 20 yards. OR in reality, probably haven’t had a chance to compare a pair of EL’s next to the Monarchs.

I actually hunt with my gear and cant see how anyone can tote around 2000 dollar pair of bino’s that could fall off and break. Its just not practical. Just to give you an idea. My pack for elk hunting, will have my EL’s, my 20-60mm HD, and my rangefinder. Well over 5K of optics in it. What I have on my back, and in my pack for my hike in will be over $12K. I actually hunt with my gear. When you are 10 miles in the mountains, from the nearest road, It’s not practical to not have high end equipment. From a safety point especially. You can think its unpractical, but when you are that far from a road. You only have you. If a snow storm whips up in 20 minutes (and they do) and dumps a foot of snow, you MUST have good stuff. Laugh if you want, I’ll have $2000 worth of Sitka gear in my pack, but I’ll be comfortable and SAFE. I would expend too many calories, not to mention the wasted time, trying to traverse 2-3 miles of mtn. range to just check to see if an animal is what I am after.

Its like the guys that buy 4 wheel drive escalades. How many of them actually go off pavement and need it. Its just a status issue. Status, HARDLY. Safety, comfort, and reliability is what it is all about. For the guy who hunts the big woods of Wisconsin, where seldom can you see 100 yards in the woods, sure go economical. Hunting ag areas, no way. Put up a pair of $60 Bushnell’s against the Nikon Monarchs. That’s the same idea as putting up a pair of Monarchs, against a pair of EL’s.

Disclaimer: I live in Central Wisconsin, and have a 2 year technical degree in Machine Tool. I by no means am wealthy. I just have priorities different than most.

All that said with having 300-$400 dollars to spend. Get the Monarchs. They are great for the $.

Brad Juaire
    Maple Grove, MN

Very good points WTA. Ever since I invested in my Swarovkis, I treat them with much more respect versus my previous binos that I had (which ended up breaking). There are many things in life that are not worth the extra money. IMO binoculars are not one of them. There are noticable differences in prices and usually they are justifiable in regard to quality.

That being said, one must buy the right set of binoculars within their budget. The Monarchs are a very good choice for that price range.

jeff_heeg
    Marshfield WI.

I have had very good luck with my Vortex Razors and Vipers, 10×42 or 8.5x50s great bino’s priced right and one heck of a VIP warranty if you happen to forget their on the hood of your truck.

Excellent clarity and a local shop owner that retails Swar & Leop. compared my Vortex Razors against his 10×42 El’s and could not tell the difference now he sells the Vortex line also.

If we ever hook up somewhere shooting ask to take a look thru them your more than welcome

Jeff

waldog10

I have owned a pair of Nikon Monarch ATB’s(8×42) for a couple of years now. They are really clear and I have had no problems with them. I just purchased another pair of Nikon Monarch ATB’s(10×42) for my wife. Both of us seem to think they are a little blurry. We were both disappointed and surprised because all of our Nikon optics have been excellant. I am going to exchange them for another pair. Not sure if i will stay with the 10 power or drop down to 8 power.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.