Hummingbird & Minn Kota

• Jeff meekin

I have a Minn Kota terova and it has a I- pilot light. When I got it the remote was not with the boat. So I’m wondering what type of hummingbird fish finder I need that will be compatible with my autopilot

Karry Kyllo

Jeff,

You’ll want an i-Pilot remote either way. Only i-Pilot Link equipped trolling motors can be linked to Humminbirds and even then, not all Humminbirds are compatible. If your trolling motor has i-Pilot Link it should say so on the head of the trolling motor. If so, it’ll also have to be connected to your Humminbird with an ethernet cable and an adapter cable for your specific display.

https://minnkota.johnsonoutdoors.com/us/support/compatibility/link

TH

You need a helix or a solix. You need the Ethernet cable to connect the motor and depth finder. You set follow the contour on the depth finder. You can also steer with the Humminbird app on your phone or use a foot pedal. So you don’t absolutely need the remote.

I’d buy as big of a helix as you can afford and fit in your boat. You will often have a split screen with maps and depth finder.

Karry Kyllo

You don’t need a remote but you’ll want one. Helix or Solix are not needed. I run my i-Pilot Link on a 999 and it works great. It doesn’t take a huge display to use “Follow the Contour”. Look at the compatability link that I posted.

Ripjiggen

Get a remote. Graphs electronics are made to map and catch fish not drive a trolling motor. Fish don’t live on a contour line.

Denny O
    Central IOWA

Get a remote. Graphs electronics are made to map and catch fish not drive a trolling motor. Fish don’t live on a contour line.

I have not had my foot pedal remote hooked up to my MK Terrova (prior to 2015 since then with my Ulterra that I bought after I sold it and purchased this one. I use the fob seldom and mostly the touch screen of the grafts to control my motor. It is way less time consuming and effortless!

I added the Bluetooth module on the Ulterra (originally purchased Link that was matched up with the core series of HB grafts) when I upgraded my grafts to Solix, I found out the new Humminbird grafts would not communicate the link system at that time.

And now I’m thinking of selling my MK Ulterra 36V 112 lb 60″ shaft with the U2 ducer. I’ve never hooked up the foot pedal or ducer cable. It has been looked over by the local authorised service center, replaced a tensioning belt and said it needed nothing else December 2023.

Jeff meekin

Ummm, actually fish do feed heavily on weed edges from time to time. That’s why I am trying to figure out my I pilot. Just looking for answers to a question.

Karry Kyllo

Why do you say that? You must never never troll cranks following specific contours. It’s important to stay at a specific depth for a couple of reasons when trolling cranks.
    First of all, depending upon the lake, it’s common for walleyes to use specific contours as paths to travel. Although there are many ways to catch walleyes, finding the correct contour and following it can be the difference catching or not catching walleyes on certain days while trolling cranks. The “Follow the Contour ” feature will automatically keep you on the specific contour of your choice. Of course one can always manually steer to stay on a specific contour but I’ve been using the “Follow the Contour” feature for several years now when trolling cranks and it’s a feature that I’d hate to be without now that I’m used to it.
    The second reason that it’s important to stay on a specific contour is that because however you are trolling cranks, whether it be long lining or with leadcore, snapweights, they are always set to run at a certain depth. Get too shallow and it’ll mean trouble or get too deep and you are running them out of the fish zone.
    I have a major investment in my electronics and I like to use them to their full capabilities whenever I can. Why wouldn’t anyone?

Netguy
    Minnetonka

Graphs electronics are made to map and catch fish not drive a trolling motor. Fish don’t live on a contour line.

Sure the do!! Last October fished crappies around a hole. Most fish were around the 28 foot contour. Set follow the 28 foot contour, put it on cruise control and never touched it for 2 hours. Caught many, many fish.

Ripjiggen

I’m just saying you don’t need a brand new graph to do what you guys are explaining, but to each their own.
    And yes I troll cranks often enough.

Ripjiggen

Ummm, actually fish do feed heavily on weed edges from time to time. That’s why I am trying to figure out my I pilot. Just looking for answers to a question.

Never said they didn’t feed on weed edges.

eyeguy507
    SE MN

hummingbirds are birds

humminbird is a company making electronics for fishing

Jeff meekin

I’ll tell my auto correct. Thanks

Jeff meekin

No but you said a autopilot was not needed, so I replied to your comment.

blank

Does the Terrova have regular iPilot or iPilot Link? Those are two different things and will determine what you can/can’t do and what remote you may need. As Karry stated earlier it should say on the motor head.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.