Hummingbird is Confusing

• Phil Ames

Wow, I am a huge fan of the Linders, and look at the way they rig their boats. And I really like the idea of Mega 360 imaging, but when I start looking at what it takes to get set up, is where things start spinning out of control. Doesn’t HB make one unit that handles everything? One unit for side imagining, one unit for down imaging, then it likes another for GPS? Then you have what looks like gen 3 units and gen 4 units? Then there is Helix, Solix, and Apex? then all the different transducers. I watch the videos of these things being used and they look nice, really interested in the Mega 360. Can someone direct me to a chart, cheat sheet, something that is easy to understand. I have been running Lowrance for 25 years, but that 360 has me thinking about possible switch on next rig. Point me in the right direction please!

Knot Again

Units that say SI (side imaging) will also have down imaging and sonar. If there is GPS in title it has GPS. So for an example a Helix 10 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS will have everything SI, DI, sonar, and GPS. As for helix vs solix the main difference will be that the solix is a touch screen and the helix is not. I’m not familiar with the Apex series, but I’m pretty sure they are marketed toward offshore ocean guys. For units that are 360 capable if you go the Humminbird website and look at the 360 transducer (need special transducer to run 360) it will list out the compatible units.

JasonP
    Twin Cities

Just my $0.02 here but humminbird 360 will probably become obsolete in 6 months with the release of Mega Live.

jp

bigpike

Just my $0.02 here but humminbird 360 will probably become obsolete in 6 months with the release of Mega Live.

jp

Obsolete means clearance pricing. woot

bigcrappie
    Blaine

Phil all you need is a Helix 10 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS and the 360 transducer and you can do everything with the one unit, SI,DI and 360. Set up price is $3500

Sylvanboat

Oh. And don’t forget you are going to need a trolling motor with iPilot. whistling

Red Eye

360 does need gen 3or4

Huntindave
    Shell Rock Iowa

Lowrance for 25 years, but that 360 has me thinking about possible switch on next rig.

Have you looked at the Lowrance “Active Target”?

Joe Jarl
    SW Wright County

jp

I’m not so sure 360 will become obsolete. Unless 360 live came along. Don’t know exactly what the capabilities of Mega Live is, but the little I’ve seen, it is a similar concept to Livescope. I.E. it needs to be pointed in the direction you want to scan. IMHO, comparing 360 to Livescope is somewhat apples and oranges.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.