Humminbird on my snowmobile

• JAnderson

Hi All….I am looking for some ideas. I have mounted my 899 on my snowmobile for gps. I would like to keep the connection ports covered so they do not get any condensation in them. It will not get fresh snow on it due to being under the windshield. I am just concerned that my connections will get corroded if I just leave them open to the elements.

Anyone have any ideas about how to cover these up?
    Thanks

Lakerchaser

Out of curiosity, how did you mount this?

I have a 2015 Polaris Switchback Assault. I have a Humminbird Helix 5 that I’m planning on mounting. I purchased a RAM mount that I would have to screw it somewhere on my dash. This seems like it’s going to be a lot of work, and there aren’t very many ideal places to mount it. I just ordered a handlebar mount to see if that will work better.

Also, if you don’t mind me asking, how did you wire it to your battery? Just straight to the battery with a built in fuse?

Thanks!

Timmy

I have a Helix 5 mounted on my ski-doo. I had no place to mount it on the dash, so I did a handlebar mount with a small ram mount arm. For power, I wired a cigarette plug in place so I can just plug it into the aux plug on the dash. That allows it to be easily switched to my side-x-side.

As far as plugging the ports – I just left them, as they are supposed to be waterproof units. If it was a concern, I suppose a piece of electrical tape over the openings would stop snow.

Lakerchaser

Great. Thanks for the info. I don’t think I have an aux plug in, so I’m probably going to have to wire it differently. Either way, I’m hopeful it will work the same!

puddlepounder
    Cove Bay Mille Lacs lake MN

As far as the wiring goes, I directly wired it to the battery with a fuse. The wires come up threw the handlebars, under the padding. The ends are the plastic covered 1/4″ tab and slot. In the dozen or so years that I have had this wired this way, I have never had any issues with snow, water or anything else causing a blown fuse or any type of short. I have a lowrance x26 mounted on the dash of my 98 Yamaha venture 600. I did put a 1/2″ plywood backer on the under side of the dash. I used a Johnny ray mount because it sits right on the dash, with a ram mount the unit is to high and there is extensive torque on the base with the weight of the x26 bouncing around. This setup is also mounted on my atv

JAnderson

I wired up an extra battery in my sled and added an cigarette port to the sled because that is how I wired the power cord that I am using. It allows me to switch between truck and sled easily during the season. I bought an ram mount base so I could just use the ram mount from the board without having to remove the base part. It has worked pretty well. I did not do anything other than put some electrical tape over the other ports and I am happy with that.

JAnderson

Out of curiosity, how did you mount this?

I have a 2015 Polaris Switchback Assault. I have a Humminbird Helix 5 that I’m planning on mounting. I purchased a RAM mount that I would have to screw it somewhere on my dash. This seems like it’s going to be a lot of work, and there aren’t very many ideal places to mount it. I just ordered a handlebar mount to see if that will work better.

Also, if you don’t mind me asking, how did you wire it to your battery? Just straight to the battery with a built in fuse?

Thanks!

Mounted the base of the ram mount on to the dash. I would have preferred handle bar ram mount but my unit is bigger and they don’t make a large handlebar ram mount…at least that I could find. It is an older sled that I use for ice fishing…so I wasn’t worried about holes or anything! I’ll post a picture if I have one on my cell phone in a bit.

JAnderson

Here what I have.

Attachments:
    1. image46.jpeg

Lakerchaser

Awesome. Thanks for all the info guys! I ordered both mounts, so I’ll start with the handlebar and if it isn’t sturdy enough I’ll go to the base mount. And it sounds like I’ll just run the wiring with a fuse!

Andrew

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.