Humminbird On Flasher Battery

• red89
    Hudson

Pulled my Humminbird 757 off the boat to run for an ice fishing GPS this year. I’m planning on running it off a flasher battery. Do I need to bother using a fuse? Its just a 12v 9ah UPG flasher battery from fleet farm.

ninrugger

Na, I havent, I’ve been running mine as both a gps and flasher and haven’t had an issue.

Iowaboy1

not to sound like a smart a$$,but an inline fuse holder with a fuse cost around five bucks,and takes five minutes to install,why risk a several hundred dollar unit??
    you can never tell when a short can happen for what ever reason.
    my two cents.

prestonc
    Waterloo, IA

What size of fuse?

red89
    Hudson

Iowaboy, my thoughts as well, but I just wasn’t sure if it was necessary on a small battery like that. I already bought an inline fuse holder and 3a fuse from fleet farm.

Iowaboy1

as far as fuse size,three amp should be plenty unless your flasher draws more than that,but I would not use any higher than a five amp fuse.

regardless of how small a battery appears,it can start fires,explode,burn up your flasher,etc.
    I realize 9ah doesnt sound like much of a battery compared to a 800 cold crank starting battery,but,it still has serious potential to fry things,and I am not trying to sound like an alarmist here,equipment is expensive,and the only thing that stands between it and the battery is the fuse.

to give you an idea of how potent a really small battery is,and dont try this near anything flammable,its an object lesson for you,and be careful doing it if and when you try this, with heavy gloves on,touch a nine volt batterys terminals to a piece of steel wool,and forget putting it out,once the steel wool is on fire,you cant stomp it out,it will melt through your boots,and water is useless once the contact is made.
    how do I know this?? I dropped a new nine volt out of my propeller tachometer into my tool box where I kept steel wool for polishing chrome parts,so I dumped the drawer out and tried stomping the fire out.
    damn near burnt a hole clean through my boot,it melted into the sole and kept burning,I got the boot kicked off and the battery separated from the wool with needle nose pliers.
    this is an example of how potent ( small batteries ) can be.

maybe I shouldnt tell you to try that,so go by example please!!!

sidescan

I use a 3 amp. fuse in line with a 798 on a 7 ah gel cell for peace of mind.I get 6-7 hrs.or so,if I run low I pull the battery from my Marcum camera to finish out the day. Fish safe.

Attachments:
    1. 010.jpg

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.