Humminbird Ice 55

• Andy Fischer

Found a used one of these online for a good price. Currently use a Marcum M1, but looking for a bigger screen and more features. Typically I fish for crappies in 15-30 FOW. Is this a good unit for that? I’ve read some reviews about poor target separation or reading small jigs, which worries me. I’ve had a Humminbird 859 on my boat for years and never had issues/loved it.

Also, is the float and 2nd cord removable? Would probably put a Marcum arm on there since I hate getting hooks caught in the floats.

Thanks.

eyeguy507
    SE MN

I love mine and have zero complaints. Never heard of jig separation issues? I just upgraded to a Helix 7 shuttle and looking to sell mine. No idea what a 5 year old unit is going for but still on original battery. Mine has the marcum arm and a gooseneck light. Those floats are garbage so that’s where mine went. Would throw in another battery too. Soft case has some wear but it’s been well taken care of.

Attachments:
    1. 20200509_104456.jpg

John Timm

I have had an ice 55 for around 5 years. Had vexilar and marcum before this. Liked the marcum, but like the hummingbird Even more. Have no issues with target seperation, or finding my jig. Great battery life, big display, and water depth simplicity. Love it.

404 ERROR
    MN

I’ve had one since they came out around 2006. It’s been a great unit. It’s currently a backup to a vex 28, but I really like it. Works good in shallow water, unlike the 28.

lrott2003
    Wisconsin

I have a friend that has a couple of these units and he has never had an issue. I am not sure what you are meaning by price is right but seems like these things perform well. I would go with it.

waldo9190
    Cloquet, MN

Both myself and a buddy had ICE 55 units drop a biscuit this past year. Mine was roughly 5 years old and his was 2 years old. Both units had the same issue, would only read when the depth knob was set to the “10x” setting and would not turn off when switched to the off position; you had to unplug the battery. My other buddy sold his 55 before any issues arose and he couldn’t get anything for it.

I’ll never touch another ‘Bird ice product.

Gitchi Gummi

I’ve had an Ice 35 since 2009 give or take. I added an Ice 55 to the arsenal about 6-7 years ago since I like having an extra unit for whoever I am fishing with. Never had any issues with either one and they get a lot of use and abuse. I’ve fished with marcums and vexilars up and down the price range and to be honest, anyone who beats their chest that Brand XYZ is light years better than brand ABC is most likely either 1) clouded with brand loyalty or 2) has their experience with one brand tainted by a lemon.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.