Humminbird Helix 5 ICE

• Marcus Manser
    River Falls WI

This is my first season with the Helix 5 ice Humminbird sent me. What are all of your guys opinions? If you have any questions on the unit feel free to ask.
    MM

IceAsylum
    Wisconsin Dells WI

I have a friend that was thinking about one. Have you used next to MarCum or Vex. yet? Wondering if there are any interference issues.

Justin Radel

I was wondering the exact same thing how does it work when close to other units? I have heard and seen in the past hummingbird units show a lot of interference when next to a Marcum or Vex. So much so that they are pretty much useless.

targaman
    Inactive
    Wilton, WI

Interference was pretty bad on my helix fishing next to a vex last year. I’m going to use my marcum this year unless I’m alone.

prestonc
    Waterloo, IA

My helix and vex played well together open water (had the ice ducer on the helix). I was just playing around with them passing my time until first ice. I’m guessing 90% of the time my helix will only be used for it’s GPS

muskie-tim
    Rush City MN

I was wondering the exact same thing how does it work when close to other units? I have heard and seen in the past hummingbird units show a lot of interference when next to a Marcum or Vex. So much so that they are pretty much useless.

Perhaps that depends on the unit being used. The Ice 45 has no more issues with interference than any other brand of flasher. I have been around numerous other marcums and vexilars and can get the interface under control with IR. That may be different with a graph unit.

philtickelson
    Inactive
    Mahtomedi, MN

I thought one of Humminbird’s selling points was that they used a different frequency than Marcum/Vexilar? Am I completely making that up in my head?

Maybe that was just their flashers, not their other units?

Marcus Manser
    River Falls WI

As far as all of the questions go. This is the first year Humminbird has produced this product for ice fishing. Last year it was tested limited for only 3 weeks max. I’m still going through lots of my primary testing with this unit. Helix uses a Switch Fire sonar. As the winter goes on and my product testing continues alot more details and questions i will answer. One feature I know is unique is the build in gps with lake master chips.Great for saving time and also easy to transport your summer fishing spots

I’m toying with a Helix DI on the ice today. It’s working pretty slick IMO. Far easier to setup and use compared to my previous HDS5. I’m getting zero interference from my Vex. It also performs better shallow than my Lx7.

The only drawback is being stuck at 200khz. .

Attachments:
    1. 1450821309656-1950380517.jpg

bee
    Maine

I am using the Helix 7 and it is being bothered by my friend’s Marcum. I thought they were working together but today they acted up.

404 ERROR
    MN

I have used mine next to my FLX-28 with zero issues so far. It is cool technology and the GPS is awesome, but it is way different than a traditional flasher. It definitely takes some getting used to, especially when you switch back and forth with a traditional. All-in-all a great unit for its application. I’m waiting for the day a unit has the responsiveness of a traditional flasher and the added feature of GPS. Until then, this unit gets the job done.

JFan02

It’s good to hear as much as possible on this unit. For the price it is very tempting but before I move over to digital I’d love to know more. I have the 35 that I really like so as tempting as making the switch is I am still on the fence.

patk
    Nisswa, MN

Dumb question, how is this any different than adapting graphs of earlier generations to ice fishing? I thought you would just add a difference ducer, and voila.

I’ve got the predecessor in the 597ci hd di. My understanding is that if I add a different ducer then it should work great. It’s also got a display mode for a traditional flasher view instead of a graph view.

Since I own Vex’s and a handheld gps is why I haven’t had motivation to pursue. Curious if the grass is greener…

Marcus Manser
    River Falls WI

patk- This is true that you’re able to add a ice transducer to that unit. I have used a 989 for many years to have a 2-D image of my jig as it is presented if you were fishing in a boat vertically. Additionally you can also add a Lakemaster chip for different states to use the internal GPS of that unit as well. Many people are not use to the LCD style of the flasher component of this unit as well as the new Ice Helix 5.

This is not an crazy new idea they are taking a newer unit and making it more efficient for ice fishermen.

Marcus Manser
    River Falls WI

As far as the questions everyone on this forum as be asking regarding the interference next to other brands of units. I have not had issues with this occurring this ice fishing season. The key to having this not occur comes down to knowing your unit and how to have it properly setup. For example: Noise reduction, sensitivity, and lastly cone width. This unit is not completely perfect but has it’s place. Not unit made by and company ever will be perfect but this unit will absolutely save you time on the ice this season by drilling less hole which in turn will help you catch more fish my fishing sooner.

Tight Lines and be safe out there! Merry Christmas!
    MM

Attachments:
    1. 20151223_1129211.jpg

2. 20151223_1128431.jpg

3. 2015-12-23_11.31.191.jpg

rippinlips0414
    Aberdeen, SD

Real easy simple question for you Marcus. Now that you have used this for a while now how has the battery life been on it. Was really thinking about upgrading to this as well for this season.

Marcus Manser
    River Falls WI

The battery life is not as long as a traditional flasher. This is due to the fact that its lighting a LCD display screen rather than on Humminbird’s flashers the most light produced was when the background light was turned on. Additionally the battery it takes to run the GPS system with this unit. With that being said I have been able to fish with this unit all day and not run out of battery. I have not tried running the unit nonstop for multiple days. I recharge when I get home and haven’t had any issues. Like I said though it doesn’t have the battery life of a traditional flasher but either does the LX-series in my option either.

targaman
    Inactive
    Wilton, WI

I had my noise filter all the way up last year and still got interference pretty bad next to my buddy’s vex. Even tried the narrower cone.

chomps
    Sioux City IA

Here’s what I used for a while last year, GPS A+, the chart or moving or scrolling view, B, the digital dial, C. Interference from Vexilars was pretty bad, the harder the bottom, the worse things were.

Attachments:
    1. image52.jpeg

Doug Larsen
    Minnesohtah

We need a sticky on this –

200kHz vs 200kHz is the issue. Without dedicated IR like flasher units, these graph open water units get crushed by Vexilar or Marcums. Humminbird ICE Flashers use 240kHz/455kHz, sidestepping interference.

Unfortunately every boat unit I’ve seen uses 200kHz, so interference is a major issue with anyone around

Marcus Manser
    River Falls WI

Hey guys,
    I have now been fishing with this unit for a while now and have formed my option. First of the interference questions. I fished for 4 days at Lake of the woods next to both a Fl-20 and a LX-7 to determine if I would have issues. The answers was NO I was able to fish as if I was by myself! So for the guys that say you can’t fish next to other units I strongly disagree. Next the two strengths of this unit is its GPS with lakemaster chip that’s obvious. The 2-d sonar is by far my favorite. You are able to see how your bait is moving in the water column and hwo the fish is reacting to yout presentation.
    I could ramble on about what I love about this unit. You guys all have options which I respect but I highly recommend checking this unit out!

targaman
    Inactive
    Wilton, WI

Are you sponsored by bird? Why would others have interference but you don’t? Like I said I had my noise filter to the max and still had problems on 200khz and 83khz.

404 ERROR
    MN

I have had problems next to an LX-7 in about 20′ of water, no issues at all with the vex in the same house. The issues with the Marcum were not fixable with the noise filter…

sktrwx2200

The best thing about the Humminbird ICE series flashers is that they use 240kHz/455kHz, eliminating interference all together with MARCUM AND VEX. They march to the beat of a different drummer LITERALLY. Everyone loves me to step into the ice shack with the ICE55. Maybe they should have gone that route with this dedicated ice Helix unit also, I think then it would be a dynamite combination. But I also see how they are trying to sell 1 unit for the ice and for the boat, but my guess is that less than 50% of guys actually use it for both. I would rather pay more for 2 units that work great at doing what they are made to do , than save money for a unit that does average at both.

Why cant Hbird make a high end unit that has a non digital Flasher and their awesome 50 channel internal gps in one unit. Not the combo digital unit with one on each end, like they have tried in the past. People drop $800-$1000 on VEX and Marcum units… why not Hbird? I would buy it. Humminbird is always trying to play price points.

schoff
    S.E., SD

I fished with mine next to a Vexilar FLX-28 and also a FL-20 this past weekend with no interference issues. I will find out this weekend how well it works next to a Marcum LX-6.

schoff
    S.E., SD

After a night of fishing next to a LX-6 I can say no interference issues with this unit at all. I have been in a shack fishing next to 2 different Vexilar units (FL-20 & FLX-28) and a Marcum LX-6 now with out any issues. I have also noticed no lag on the screen when in the 2D sonar mode and speed up to the ULTRA setting. From my experience I am VERY happy with the Helix 5 Ice and it is now my only ice fishing unit plus I can transfer to the boat this spring for open water!

Attachments:
    1. unnamed.jpg

2. unnamed2.jpg

Marcus Manser
    River Falls WI

Many of you questioned my review of this product earlier this year. As you can see that many others are having the same success I have had well using this unit. Regardless of a sponsorship or not the unit speaks for itself. No matter what brand or unit they ate not flawless and issues may occur at one time or another. I stand by my posts and hope nothing but success for all of you this fishing season! Tight lines!
    MM

schoff
    S.E., SD

I have no ties to Humminbird at all, I have used Vexilar products for years and even gave Marcum a try this year. I was very disappointed with the Humminbird 597 for ice fishing and was very leery of trying the Helix series. But I have been looking for a unit to do double or even triple duty for ice, open water, and GPS. The Helix 5 has done that for me and just wanted to share my experience for anyone who was looking for the same…..tight lines and be safe out there everyone!

ken willis

was hoping to find a little relief with my Humminbird, I have the Helix 5 Di GPS unit and bought the bag and the XI 9 20 transducer for the ice and I’m having issues finding the correct settings so any help would be appreciated.

schoff
    S.E., SD

What issues are you having? If its the basic settings check out “The Technological Angler” on Youtube he has a demo for the basic getting started settings.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 86 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.