Humminbird 899si LINK Terrova issues

• stcroixer
    Croix Valley

I have purchased a 1 year old used Terrova with ipilot link and a new Humminbird 899SI (plus the Lakemaster chip).
    The units are installed and seem to recognize each other, although, when I go to try out the follow the contour feature on the Humminbird unit, it does not take control of the unit. It show the prompt to pick which direction it should follow, and after you choose it, nothing.
    I’m sure this is a minor issue I am missing, maybe I need to update something. Any suggestions?
    Thanks for any input.

Denny O
    Central IOWA

My 1198 and 998 are headed back to the “Bird House” for this same reason.

stcroixer
    Croix Valley

Thanks for the reply.
    Will you be replacing them? I figured I just needed to update some software. Is this a common problem?

muskie-tim
    Rush City MN

I had the same issues on my 896 and 858. After installing the latest updates the follow the contour had the same symptoms. I downgraded back to the previous software and the follow the contour worked correctly. First thought was the remote and trolling motor needed an update but they are running the latest version. Bottom line by downgrading the software it worked again.

stcroixer
    Croix Valley

Thanks for the helpful response.

Yesterday, I spent more time than I’d like to admit, finding serial numbers, registering equipment, downloading the correct updates and updating each component to current versions.
    I got to try the system out for two hours last night, and not only did it work perfectly, but I picked up a few fish. No DANDIES, but man it was great to have the equipment running itself up and down the river, what a treat. The wind did pose a problem at times, but can be compensated with little trial and error.

eyekatcher
    Lakeville, MN

I upgrade my 1998 to
    (Version 7.090

Which then requires the

i-Pilot Link Controller Update – used with products at software release 6.900 or higher
    |
    i-Pilot Link Remote Update – used with products at software release 6.900 or higher

renegadewalleye

I am having the same issue I connect my i pilot link to my humminbird. My goto an when I recorded a track didn’t work. How do you update the remote for the I link?

trytoofish
    sw Mn.

I upgrade my 1998 to
    (Version 7.090

Which then requires the

i-Pilot Link Controller Update – used with products at software release 6.900 or higher
    |
    i-Pilot Link Remote Update – used with products at software release 6.900 or higher

It is necessary to match updates now. certain attachments like Ipilot link need specific unit updates matched to specific link updates to function. It does make the updating process more confusing but it is still manageable.

poomunk
    Galesville, Wisconsin

Renegade – If memory serves me right you download the head unit update onto an SD first and update that first (card in the sonar unit like a ‘normal’ update), then you load the controller update onto a chip and repeat the process. I think there were a couple command prompts on the remote and then it did it all itself (chip again in the sonar like ‘normal’ updates). I might have missed a step there, but they explained it pretty well on the website when I downloaded the update onto my chip.

renegadewalleye

ok i think i still need to register my terrova with humminbird before i can get those updates. I try it again tommorow when i come back from fishing.

niusocr

I am posting to this thread without intentions to take it on a tangent, and hoping that stcroixer’s issue was resolved…

I just picked up my new Lund crossover on Saturday. To preface, this boat will be used for fishing and watersports

It’s rigged with a HB 788ci HD DI and a Terrova 80/US2/i-Pilot link/remote. I have yet to connect the trolling motor to the HB with fears that the US2 will block out the HB transducer on the stern. I am hoping to keep the HB transducer constant and primary on the fishfinder.

The main intentions for the Terrova are anchoring, charting, motor restricted lakes, and following contours with a HB Lakemaster card. With exception to the card (which I think is my main issue) I know majority of that can be accomplished remotely.

With the kids jumping on and off the boat in all directions, I don’t want to add another fishfinder on the bow if it isn’t necessary.

Any input would be appreciated…

poomunk
    Galesville, Wisconsin

Jason, in the menu there is a tab (network options or something like that), in there you can pick the HB duecer as your primary one, it would only then pick up the US2 if you tell it to, or if the HB duecer became disconnected.

I have a 788 that I run in between the bow and as a second unit at my console, I have the primary duecer for it as the US2, everytime I move it to the console it beeps at me because it can’t find the US2 and then asks if I want to switch to the transom duecer. I would think it would act the same way for you, just in the opposite way.

niusocr

Thanks poomunk! This helps and I will check the owners manual for the HB to see if I can locate that feature. I skimmed it yesterday but wasn’t thinking about this potential issue at the time

eyekatcher
    Lakeville, MN

If you don’t connect the US2 cable, the Humminbird won’t even try to use it.
    The other cable will control all the other functionality.

poomunk
    Galesville, Wisconsin

That would definately do the trick too. Now that you mention that, I don’t think you would be able to attach the US2 cord from bow to console without an extension so its the cheaper route also.

If you do go looking for that tab, from menu its either the last or second to last one as you scroll to the right across the tabs (sonar/chart/system/etc.)

niusocr

Good point eyekatcher! I will also look into that option if problems occur with the settings. I am ok with that as long as I can still position the boat to follow contours with the Lakemaster card.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.